Print 

Author Topic: Halo PC's Gamespy Service Being Shut Down  (Read 3207 times)

Offline RadZakpak

• Posts Too Much
  • Passive but NOT aggresive
Halo PC's Gamespy Service Being Shut Down
« on: April 03, 2014, 03:10:18 PM »
http://teambeyond.net/halo-pc-shutting/

So. What now?

It's still always possible the game could show up on Steam with Steamworks support, considering Spartan Assault is being added to Steam, and Halo 2 Vista's fate being decided at the moment.

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
Re: Halo PC's Gamespy Service Being Shut Down
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 02:41:00 AM »
Does this mean that all multi-player function will cease to work or that the gamespy lobby will no longer work

INB4 mxy  :P

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:53 AM »
I was just reading this on the kitguru.net site and i was like dang alot of my old games use Gamespy including Halo.  But when looking into it it will not effect the servers only how you conect to them so we will probily have to directly conect via IP inpute into the console ( will need to look up how to do this) or find another program to manage servers.  I used to use xfire for this and in its day it was great and low impact but recently it got overly heavy and then when the makers of AVG took it over it became nothing more than a virus installing lots of little things even when you tell it not to.  Admitadly i have not used it recently but if they have fixed it or if there is another service we could use to manage the server lists.   The sad part is while we might beable to conect it will significantly reduce guest player numbers it may also effect the acual game as some games use Gamespy to authenticate some games CD keys.

Offline RadZakpak

• Posts Too Much
  • Passive but NOT aggresive
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 01:47:32 PM »
I don't see many using those methods to get onto the servers. And because of that I don't really see people keeping the servers up, or new people joining.

I really don't know what to make of it, all I know is it's very sad.

Offline wakco

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
Does this mean that all multi-player function will cease to work or that the gamespy lobby will no longer work

INB4 mxy  :P

For Halo, Gamespy was never used for license checking, just a lobby to find servers, so just the gamespy lobby will no longer work.

Offline Un¡t»Zero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »
You all should sign this.
https://www.change.org/petitions/steam-adopt-halo-combat-evolved-custom-edition-multiplayer#share

I doubt something this fortunate would happen but it doesn't hurt to try.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:11:17 PM by Un¡t»Zero »

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Was just going to post this link above :).

Not sure it will "save" halo, but wont hurt to try!

Offline Kelly087

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »
This makes me sad. So many good memories of this game with amazing people and it's shutting down... I mean it won't be completely gone but still... I guess all good things really do come to an end.

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »
*bump* HALO PC IS NOT DEAD.  Patch 1.0.10 changes the old GameSpy Lobby to the new one run by GameRanger. Official patch from Bungie and multiplayer lives!  :chief: :Chaindog:
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »

^^!

What HE said!
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print