Print 

Author Topic: some things stay the same  (Read 4917 times)

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
some things stay the same
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »
It's amazing how some things manage to stay the same. After all these years.

I remember coming to the BFM forums for the first time, disgruntled at my perceived treatment on the server.
It was way back when bfmracing was not at .net, I think it was .com at the time.
You probably won't find that thread here, as there was a database reset since then. (which also happened ages ago)
I still remember the thread specifically, if there are questions, lol.
But if you search my name, you'll find some newer complaints from me, lol. Like I said, things stay the same.
I came here this time just to see if there is any life left. I'm "KillJoy®" on the servers. (not the same killjoy as in the "Problem Racers" thread, annoying confusion like that is what lead to the "®" being added to my name)
I had a pack of buddies (4 including me, all of us close friends personally and geographically) that used to race for years on your servers.
1. Devastati®n (had to embed his ®, as he was at max character count)
2. Reaper®
3. BOOGIEMAN®
4. and me, KillJoy®
We were not casuals. We raced a ton. The old-schoolers around here should remember most or all of us. We were not a clan, just real life buddies who specifically chose BFM servers as our playground, because they were run better than the others. And remember, there were tons of busy servers back then, so that's really saying something.
Obviously, we all eventually used the registered trademark symbol in our names, as our names were not that unique and we wanted to be recognized on the servers as legit players, and not lumped-in with the throng of similarly-named newbies that used sometimes disrupt the servers.

And so I entered the forums tonight. To look. I clicked to be sure to stack threads according to date, hoping to go directly to the newest posts. Honestly, I re-stacked them a few times, because it was kind of hard to believe (accept) nothing new was being posted. Then I did find an "active" topic, -the race meetings that you all are still apparently having on occasion. My friend Reaper® and I were just reminiscing last night about how awesome it used to be, racing on the BFM servers when they were hopping. We talked and laughed for a while about it. I ended up by giving him a sort of "pep talk", saying we should at least try to find the BFM server some weekend.

I told him perhaps old schoolers like MacAir might still check in once in a while, on a Friday night. Just like we were itching to do right then.
Speaking of old schoolers, I wonder what ever happened to Enoch. And it was always good to find Jane on the server. Mumbler was so good at it was scary. And so many others. It was always a (very fun) struggle when you were in the hog with an exceptional player, not to "let them down" with your own weak game play.

Imagine my surprise when read that there would be racing... ...let's see here......omg tonight!!! Just two hours ago, was the official meeting time! They're probably still racing right now!

I don't even have Halo installed on my main computer, so I ran downstairs to fire up my old laptop that I bought specifically to play Halo on-the-go (i.e., other people's houses) back in the day. I always used an original XBOX controller with USB adapter, and I was amazed to find everything the first place I looked for it! The XBCD controller driver was always super finicky, so I fully expected to have issues with that. And I sure did. It didn't work at all the first time. So I tried another USB port. Blam, it's working!!
OMG, the server is active. There's only one spot open. Just like the old days, when you had to fight to get in. Amazing.
I'm breathing faster now. I have to admit, my hands might even be shaking, ever so slightly.
Here we go, I can't believe this is happening. If my friends could see me now. OK I'm officially in, just waiting for new game...
...aaaaaaaaaaaand the operator has banned me from the server.  :'[
Never even got to see a game screen.
Looking at the names scroll by. Yep. I know those people.
I would have thought they knew me too.
Not a word to me, just banned?

Like I said, some things manage to stay the same, even amidst the change.
I'm here to gripe once again, lol.
This could have been so amazing to play with you guys tonight.
i don't know what criteria you use to ban people, but you seriously might want to re-think it.

Killjoy®
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:59:29 AM by killjoy »
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Re: some things stay the same
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
Please check into the Request to be Unbanned section. It's unfortunate to hear of your situation as I completely understand the excitement of getting into a full server like back in the day. Just doing a quick check I didn't see any requests by anyone with the name KillJoy®, but I'm wondering if you might've used a different name previously. Either way, I'm sure there's some way to look it up. Please feel free to make a post so we can get the ball rolling.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 12:49:34 AM »
I've never been banned. Therefor I've never requested to be unbanned.
And I've never used another name.
I was connected tonight for a good while (10-15 seconds), then banned it seemed.
I'm not an expert on running Halo servers (though I used to keep one running on and off for years), but I doubt I would have been allowed to join the server at all, even just to wait in limbo between games for several seconds, if i was already under an active ban.

I'll have to think this over.
Not sure I'm ready to "request being unbanned", as my official welcoming back to the server.

Ugh. I'm still treated like a stranger here.

Hmmm. I'll re-install Halo, to make sure my game code is actually the one being used. I seem to remember a large Halo LAN party where there was some last minute emergency code swapping to get all the machines working. I always had to donate several of my machines to those parties, as I'm the guy with all the tech gear. Since a ban is tied to the Halo copy and not the player, I might be playing someone else's copy/code. Worst case scenario my machine might even be using a code that got grabbed off the internet, if we were in a big enough pinch at the time to get things going. Maybe re-installing Halo will fix the problem. A "bad code" (publicly used) would work in a private LAN scenario, but it's far less likely to work online. Maybe that's the deal. A public code might have been put on my machine as an emergency fix for a LAN party.

I'm not the type to get banned.
Kicked? Yes, a couple times eons ago. And rest assured I argued vigorously against those occasions, here. :)

Thanks for answering, I'll do some things on my end.
I'm sorry if this was all caused by me, perhaps forgetting that a public code is on my machine. ?
Guess I'll find our later, when I try again.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:10:35 AM by killjoy »
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 05:32:46 AM »
Hey killjoy, good to see you! As far as bans go, I don't think any of the BFM's that were there last night banned you so it may have to do with the server itself in which I have no idea about. Requesting an unban is the normal procedure so you may want to take a look at that like Suprman said! One of the higher ups will look into it.

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 07:30:39 AM »
Hello, BFM_Mil. Nice to see you too! Thanks for the welcome.

I really need to re-install Halo on my laptop using my installation code, to be sure about anything at this point.
It's probably been a couple years since I've used it, and the more my mental cobwebs clear, the more I doubt it's even my code.
At a LAN party, I would have used my main (retired now) PC and let someone else use my laptop with their game code from home.
I think the problem was we didn't have someone's code at the last LAN party, and so literally "for emergency purposes" we grabbed a busted code off the net just to get the party started and save the day, and not leave someone stranded.
We used to get 8-10 of us together, and it was always total chaos getting everything to work since not everyone brought their own PC from home.

-update-
I just confirmed the code was not right.
I found this very old note to myself in a keep-forever email folder where I put notes like this:
"My laptop (←unlicensed/publicly shared key code found on internet)"
...like I said, this would have been done only as an emergency entire-day-saving fix for a LAN party, to help someone who didn't bring their code. I wrote the note to myself that same day, to help keep track of things later. It's just been so long, that it had faded from memory. For the record I own my own Halo license, and have no need to borrow one. Obviously I'd just never tried my PC online again since that last LAN party or I'd have already discovered it was a bogus code and not my own.

So glad to have cleared that up. I apologize for accusin', lol.
Now I can focus on just being thrilled that you guys still race sometimes.
I'll put the word out to my two "®" friends that are left, I know they will be interested.

To those who knew him, I just want to say that BOOGIEMAN® passed away last year.
He spent a lot of time on BFM servers and so I thought he deserved that mention.

Thanks again, folks. Looking forward to hopefully finding a slot in your next scheduled race. And if the server is completely full, I'll be happy. I'll get in some of the races, regardless. No, I haven't forgotten how to muscle my way into the server between races, lol.

See ya!
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
I still remember ya Killjoy. Just wanted to make sure everything went through the proper channels. Looking back it looks like I was the one to suggest that you use an alt code in your name! Fond memories of racing with Boogieman and very sad to hear of him passing. He was a great player from what I remember and we'll surely miss him.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Slim

• Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »
Me to and Navy J  :winkgrin:

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:18:12 AM »
Looking back it looks like I was the one to suggest that you use an alt code in your name!
Yep! I noticed that too when looking back through some of my old posts yesterday.
I'd forgotten it was specifically you that suggested I use a special symbol in my name to help make it unique (advice my 3 friends heeded too). I remember now, though.
I talked to Reaper®, and he said "definitely" when I suggested that he join the next scheduled race.
Gonna put word out to Devastati®n next.

Howdy, BFM_Slim! been a long time. Of course I also remember you and Navy J, both.

I can't wait to race again.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:51:33 PM by killjoy »
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_NavyJHk

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
Hello friend  :)

Me to and Navy J  :winkgrin:

Look at this nub though  :jester:  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thank you Kàkà§hì!

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 01:28:29 AM »
Was playing last Saturday night, April 1st.
At Infinity, I was driving alone, just starting back from the Blue base toward the refinery.
Right as I enter the refinery, I'm met by an enemy hog with gunner going the other way.
Their hog stops right behind me as soon as we pass, while the gunner continues to pour lead into me from the chain gun.
Very near death, I hop out at the last minute and hide behind my hog, never once shooting or throwing a nade.
My health returns. As they finally begin to drive away, I un-hide and go to drive myself again.
Their hog instantly reverses/drives back to me! But as they approach me for the second time (without ever leaving the area or continuing their lap) I jump into the gun of my hog and shoot one rocket blast at them. My rocket shot neutralizes the two campers (killng one) and I get immediately back into my hog and drive.
...I get "KillJoy stop camping".

During the entire prolonged encounter with the hovering twosome hog that refused to leave my side, I shot exactly one time, at the very end.

I wont say who, but whichever BFM told me surely remembers the incident.
How is what I did camping?
Instantly no longer having fun, and just amazed at how shockingly little people seem to understand the game no matter how many years pass, I left.
Seems like within about an hour, the false accusations always crop up.
So then I'm left thinking "I really need to start recording absolutely everything again via Fraps, just like the old days".
Then I start thinking "You know, it's probably best just not to play".
Whoever the BFM driver was that refused to drive the map and just wanted to hang out by me instead, I'd say THAT'S camping.

I saw other VERY questionable warnings going to other players, but I can't personally confirm those were wrong.
I only know for certain the single warning I got was 100% bogus.

KillJoy®

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 03:57:31 AM »
If I remember correctly the only BFM's in there were me, Boredom and Dstroyer. And to be honest I don't recall giving you a warning, could've been me I don't remember.
Look, you've been a long time guest. We know that you know the rules and everything so there's no need to get all worked up about a warning. If you feel there's an issue with the admin it's probably better to send him a PM and explain that to him. Now I'm not saying you or the admin are right or wrong. For all I care you could be totally right on this one.

I saw other VERY questionable warnings going to other players, but I can't personally confirm those were wrong.

Why are you even bringing this up then? Are you trying to prove a point or something?
Anyway you're always free not to play on our servers, we've been saying this since forever.

Offline killjoy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »

Why are you even bringing this up then? Are you trying to prove a point or something?
Yes. My point is the calls are not-so-accurate in my opinion. ...Your question makes me wonder if there's some other sinister point I'm dangerously close to making, without realizing it.
For context, my 40" screen was sitting beside the 60" screen of the other player I was with. Obviously, we purposely watch/see a whole lot of what's happening on each other's screens. What he was saying jived with what I thought I saw. As I admitted, I can't be 100% sure of his occurrences. He sure seemed convinced, as he was done too when I quit.
I just need to make sure to play with Fraps every time when I do race. It's less stressful for me that way. I need to set him up with Fraps too. I remember it lead to me capturing some cool highlights before.

Like this nade-stick highlight, where I lead the enemy hog like Joe Montana used to lead Jerry Rice.
[link removed]
rule-following points I'm proud of:
1. checked for free hog before setting off on foot
2. never shot or naded until I my feet were at ground level, though my target was right in front of me tempting me
3. only threw one nade at a time as the pursuit progressed, waiting for each to explode before throwing another
On the con side, someone running behind me ultimately got the kill, which was unfortunate.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:56:57 PM by BFM_Mil »
KillJoy®

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
I think i've raced with you numerous times back in the day?

I like your pride in following the rules. Thanks for that.

I recognize Boogieman's name well. RIP fella.

Offline -shiNe!

• Senior Poster
  • Former bfm & PR
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
What up Octane. Miss you mate, nice to see you are still alive! :P

Add me on Steam!
I lived in the days of Tanxs when he was but a kid.
BFM clan only scrims were my favorite. I was so proud to make it into the ranks of this clan, but proud enough to let that be my downfall.
I am only happy that I got to experience such a legendary clan.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
Hey Shine now there's another name that takes me back in time!

And yeah just about, 2 over the bonnet RTAs and 2 kids later and im alive still its miraculous lol, always good to see old faces still around. Might be seeing you server side ive been hopping on the servers a bit lately.

Print