Print 

Author Topic: Question regarding Fan Fiction  (Read 3044 times)

Offline ☼Foley☼

• Newbie Poster
  • !n ur f0rum5 br!ng!ng 734 pw00n4g3
Question regarding Fan Fiction
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
Thanks a lot you guys *sarcasm* but you've awoken the author within me when I saw this section... so now I have to ask a question regarding your rules so my material may be edited appropriately

Being halo is an M rated game (the equivalent of an R rated movie) just how far is one allowed to go when writing a short story about the halo universe?  for example:  graphic descriptions of action (Sgt. Foster squeezed the trigger on his MA5b causing the grunts head to paint the ground behind it a nice blue color vs. Sgt. Foster squeezed the trigger on his MA5b and the grunts head exploded in a shower of blue blood, giving the ground a new paint job) and language (what words are acceptable vs. unacceptable)
I ask this because anyone who has played the halo campaign on normal or above would be familiar with the comments the marines make, as well what a pwnd covenant soldier looks like.  I'm not saying my writing is going to be gory and curse laden, at most about as bad as the marines got in the halo books written by William C. Deitz (just not as well written)

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline ☼Foley☼

• Newbie Poster
Re: Question regarding Fan Fiction
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
well thank you for pointing out what i've already read, else i woundnt have asked the question... so let me rephrase the question, which is more acceptable:

Sgt. Foster squeezed the trigger on his MA5b causing the grunts head to paint the ground behind it a nice blue color

OR

Sgt. Foster squeezed the trigger on his MA5b and the grunts head exploded in a shower of blue blood, giving the ground a new paint job

Offline Slayton V. Price

• Posts Too Much
  • Here we are, Juggernaut!!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 05:08:32 PM »
It really depends on if you are planning to post it here. 

if you are, then, according to the rules of this section of the forum, the submission should be suitable to read to a grade school class.  That usually means, tone down the blood and gore descriptions, and other explicit content should not even be in it. 

If you read my story, Battle for Irian Prime, yo wouldn't know, but that story was severely edited before I even considered posting it.  There were even certain sections that I completely removed due to there content. 

My best suggestion is to keep it at the lower end of the detail bar for stuff that could be considered extreme and violent. 

Just my two cents worth...

BFM_Slayton

Offline Geekums

• Posts Too Much
  • YOU'VE BEEN GEEKED!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »
well thank you for pointing out what i've already read, else i woundnt have asked the question... so let me rephrase the question, which is more acceptable:

Sgt. Foster squeezed the trigger on his MA5b causing the grunts head to paint the ground behind it a nice blue color

OR

Sgt. Foster squeezed the trigger on his MA5b and the grunts head exploded in a shower of blue blood, giving the ground a new paint job

^^ As one of the people who has come up with the RPG/Fan Fiction area, I say I would RATHER you put the #1. ONLY BECAUSE this area is more of a G-Rated area. There are people from at least age 9-10 reading this stuff and I don't want them to read a lot of gorey stuff. I DO like #2 because it is very detailed and a nice read, however if you were to put it in, do #1 please. Thank you for asking this question.

Detail Atun Hut!

How are you're feet?
TOGETHER!
Stomach?
IN!
Chin?
UP!
Shoulders?
BACK!
Elbows?
FROZEN!
Eyes?
WITH PRIDE!
Eyes?
WITH PRIDE!
Attitude?
IN YOUR FACE!

Offline ☼Foley☼

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 05:37:06 PM »
alright, thanks
now depending on how alzy im feeling w/e i have cooking will be up in 1 day to 3 years

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »
glad that you got this solved. but just a thought......(which is why i posted the two links in the first place)

well thank you for pointing out what i've already read

first off, you never said that you read it. secondly, if you read it, why would there be any need to ask this:

just how far is one allowed to go when writing a short story about the halo universe?  for example:.........and language (what words are acceptable vs. unacceptable)

if you had read those two posts i pointed out, why would you need to ask this when the answers are not only there, but for the language in the main rules themselves?

just wondering
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Print