Print 

Author Topic: 'No Signal' (Hopefully Being Fixed)  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Spidey

• Posts Too Much
'No Signal' (Hopefully Being Fixed)
« on: July 25, 2008, 07:06:03 AM »
For the last two weeks, Everytime I switch my computer on, my monitor shows 'No Signal'. The power button on my monitor will then flash on and off. It usually does that when I switch my comp off to show there isnt actgually a signal. However I can hear my computer working. I try switching the screen off and on again after 10mins but still I get the same message.

I have to switch off my computer by either switching off the plug or holding the power button down. I know thats the wrong way but otherwise there is no other way to turn my computer off.

If i move my computer about on my desk it will work occasionally and show me the screen but most of the time i have to shift my comp around to find a good spot for it to work. (I don't understand it either). 8/10 of the times it does actually give me a signal, my computer will completely lock up and after about 10 mins it will restart itself and give me 'no signal'.

It's very frustrating I feel the need to throw my computer out of the window. It is no longer under guarantee and it's only around 2-3 years old. I have checked for viruses and have made sure all of the wires are actually plugged in. I have also switched monitors but I am to no avail. It's definitly my computer and not my monitor.

Do I send it off to be fixed or would it be better to buy a new computer. I have had many problems with this computer in the past. The first time it went went wrong it was a week after the guarantee was up :bang:

If you have any idea's to fix this it will be greatly appriciated. I'm amazed it is actually staying on right now. It's been on for 15mins. However I have had to move it so the computer is half way hanging off my desk :doh:

Please Help.

Spidey.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:07:59 AM by BFM_Spidey »

Applied for BFM - 12th March 2007
Recieved Vent Access - 2nd May 2007
Recieved Little Tags - 11th May 2007
Recieved Big Tags - 14th June 2007
Promoted to Corporal - 5th June 2008
Stepped down from Promotion - 24th December 2008

Offline iseecrazyppl

• Newbie Poster
Re: 'No Signal'
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:52:43 AM »
It sounds like your video card is at fault, but try dusting out the inside if your computer, especially any heat sinks with a buildup of dust before you go buy a new one.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
It sounds like your video card is at fault, but try dusting out the inside if your computer, especially any heat sinks with a buildup of dust before you go buy a new one.

ACK!!! No wait!

Don't muck with your video card /case insides just yet!

The Old Adage of Three Steps to Computer Repair* comes first!:

1) Check the cables.

2) Check the cables.

3) CHECK THE CABLES!

I'm betting that your cable's NOT screwed in in the back, or is otherwise loose.

In fact, it may have formed a bad connection in the cable itself! (I had two old monitors like this, that only worked when you held their video cable a certain way....)

Try wiggling the cable around SLOWLY, WHILE IT'S RUNNING and (have someone watch to) see if you get any flashes of image or anything....

It still might be a dirty or loose Graphics Adapter, but don't open up your case until you've tried external stuff first. (Although if it's crashing on you, it does sound like the GA might not be fully seated or something....)

Oh, and NEVER EVER turn off the power at the back switch!  (Unless the following method won't work, that is....)  Always use the "hold the front switch in for four seconds" method, as it has a better chance of shutting things down more nicely....

* Actually, it's an adage for networking, but hey, it fit my suggestion here, so.... ::)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline iseecrazyppl

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 10:24:29 AM »
one thing that gets  alot ppl is that the signal may be coming out of the secondary display and you have your monitor plugged into the primary display (or vice versa)

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »
I dont get it iseecrazyppl?  You make all those imposter servers and then you try to help on our tech support? Maybe you just really love us. Im just VERY proud you were banned on our servers. Each imposter server you have up just proves you have no integrity and are the VERY person we are happy to not have around BFM.

Offline zetlandpeat / {HM}Zet

• Regular Poster
  • The Vikings are Coming - Up Helly Aa
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »
I would go with MrMxy (dudes always right, bet he reads stuff  :bang:)

my partners mum had similar problem, changed lead, tickerty boo.

good luck
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

TALL SHIPS RACE COMES BACK TO SHETLAND

I would like to be a glowworm, a glowworms never glum, it`s hard to be downhearted when the sun shines out your bum.

Offline MoNsTeR

• Newbie Poster
  • How do I internet?
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
I had something similar with my new monitor, turned out portable device was set to the 1st boot device. Meaning whenever i had a flashdrive or portable cd usd drive, the computer would run and try to boot from nothing, but the screen said "check signal" then went to sleep. an easy fix in the BIOS, not sure if you're having the same problem. but make sure you have that set right because it sounds similar. But try doing what Mxy said first of course.

Offline Spidey

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 03:11:59 AM »
I've checked the cables, i've wiggled wires wround but still nothing it seems to only want to give me a signal when it wants to.

The other problem is that when my monitor does work after 10mins the computer will lock up, restart itself and give me no signal all over again.
why is it shutting itself down??

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 09:31:27 PM »
I've checked the cables, i've wiggled wires wround but still nothing it seems to only want to give me a signal when it wants to.

The other problem is that when my monitor does work after 10mins the computer will lock up, restart itself and give me no signal all over again.
why is it shutting itself down??

If the computer is "locking up" or "crashing" it's more than just a monitor problem!

In fact, that sounds like a memory or CPU heat problem (or slow-failure) to me....

Offline Spidey

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »

If the computer is "locking up" or "crashing" it's more than just a monitor problem!

In fact, that sounds like a memory or CPU heat problem (or slow-failure) to me....

that doesnt sound too good.
what can i do to fix it??

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »

that doesnt sound too good.
what can i do to fix it??

First thing is to find out if it's heat related:

- Does it happen less often when the machine's been off over night, during play right after it's started up (after a night cooling off....)

- Does it seem to get worse and worse as you have you machine running?

- Do you have software that you can use to monitor the temps inside your computer? (Some gaming machines/video devices come with this....)

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
Mxy seems like a very well trained IT guy. Suggested everything I can think of off the top of my head.

But after a few minutes of thought...it may be possible that your something-or-other is defective (my hopes as to not vary with the component)
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Spidey

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »
i have come to the conlusion that it isnot a heating problem nor is it a monitor problem

when i switch my computer on...  if i hear a loud whirring sound, iwill get no signal. however if the whirring sound is a lot quieter, thescreen will work.
as soon as the loud  whirring sound comes back then it will lock up and give me no signal

the biggest problem is i only get the quiet whirring sound 0.05 times out of ten. lets just say thats very rarely

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 02:36:20 PM »
Hmm... This whirring sound, does it make the top of the back of your PC case vibrate, and does it go or quieten when this area is given a light tap?
Probably your PSU fan blocked up or about to burn out. I would suggest cleaning or replacing it if that's the case.
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »
Spidey, this sounds like almost exactly what happened to me. My computer was making the whirring sound like when I boot up some program, but the screen was dark, with a "no signal" every time I tried to power down and up again.

The only difference is that once mine stopped, I couldn't get it working again.

I needed a new mother board. :-/

Print