Print 

Author Topic: Saving space  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Saving space
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »
So lately ive been wanting to clear up a lot of programs from my computer. Kind of doing a bit of a purge since i have about 261GB free out of  931GB haha.  Most games that i have played, sometimes installs different things of Microsoft Visual. So far there is like 15 different types(?) of them, some are 2005. 2008, 2010, and 1 that is 2012. How can i find out which ones are necessary and which ones are not.  I have taken a screenshot to show you what im talking about. The program i used to take a screen shot is called Light-shot, and the link is safe to click i promise

Any help would be great thanks :)
http://prntscr.com/5nvd6u
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Saving space
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »

(Before you begin, empty your (recycle) bin. An AMAZING amount of stuff can lay around in there!)

One: I can say for sure that you need to have all that stuff remain on your computer.

Two: What's there doesn't really amount to much anyway.

Three: A good way to "make some space" is to delete long-unused installed programs. You'll need to do that manually, taking care to only remove things that you KNOW you no longer need. I suggest the following method:

1) Go to <Start> <Control Panel> and select <Program and Features>
2) Now in the <Uninstall or Change a program> list, select the top of the <Installed On> column to show the list from the oldest date at the top of the list. This can help you identify "crufty" programs and application that you no longer use.  NOTE!: Do NOT uninstall anything that you are uncertain about!

In all likelihood you won't open up a lot of space this way, but sometimes it can clean up a LOT of old, unused stuff that you no longer need.

And finally, Four: I highly recommend you download a free copy of Tweaknow Regcleaner. Install it and select the following actions:

<Quick Optimizer tab>
Everything EXCEPT "Optimize Internet/Network Settings"

and

<Windows Cleaner>
"Disk Cleaner"
"Registry Cleaner"

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Saving space
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 03:25:35 PM »
Don't delete those C++ redistributatbles - as Mxy says you'll need some/all of them and they won't free up much space anyway.

A great visual tool is WinDirStat.  Download and run that, and it will quickly show you what's eating your space: music, steam apps, videos etc.

All color-coded and everything

Print