Print 

Author Topic: "A network cable is unplugged" issues.  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
"A network cable is unplugged" issues.
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
Alright, suddenly today I have been getting problems from my computer saying that a network cable is unplugged, when one is not. Tried using the same cable on a latpop, and the laptop was able to connect to the internet through the cable, plugged it back into my computer, and no connection. Have tried using a different cable from the router to my computer, and nothing. The internet is working on every other computer in my house except mine. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling driver and no luck. Already tried reformatting and still got the same "a newtork cable is unplugged error".

Anyone know what to do?

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: "A network cable is unplugged" issues.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:34:28 PM »

Well, I'm no Mxy, but.....

- first, are you sure that the laptop actually used the cable, and not a wireless connection, to connect to the internet?

- or do you have another computer, which definitely doesn't have a wireless card, with another cable you can try.  Looks like you tried another cable, was that from a working computer? 

- when you connect the cable, does a light go on where the cable plugs in?

- assuming XP or Vista, open up the network connection - does it say connected?  Either you can click "Disable", then "Enable" and see if it clears up, or you can click on the Support tab and click "Repair" and see if that helps.

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »
- first, are you sure that the laptop actually used the cable, and not a wireless connection, to connect to the internet?

- or do you have another computer, which definitely doesn't have a wireless card, with another cable you can try.  Looks like you tried another cable, was that from a working computer? 

- when you connect the cable, does a light go on where the cable plugs in?

- assuming XP or Vista, open up the network connection - does it say connected?  Either you can click "Disable", then "Enable" and see if it clears up, or you can click on the Support tab and click "Repair" and see if that helps.

1. Yes, the wireless card in the laptop was switched to off.

2. Yes, I am on the other computer now which is connected through the same Ethernet cord that wouldn't work with my normal computer.

3. No, no light. :(

4. I've reformatted to Vista from XP and back to XP but still nothin. Yes, tried to repair.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 06:14:44 PM »

Hmm.  Bad network card?  Can you switch ethernet cards from another computer? 

Is there another slot you can put the ethernet card into?  Maybe try shutting down, moving the card and having windows redetect it.  Just in case it's the motherboard slot, not the card.

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
It's integrated into the mobo so I can't switch it out for anything.

Seems like I just need to get a dedicated Ethernet card. :-\

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 06:29:07 PM »

Well, not to be absurd, but to really really be sure, I'd take that computer, and plug it in side by side with one that works.  Pull the plug from the working computer and plug it in the broken one.  If no light goes on, then you've isolated it to the computer and it's definitely not the cable or router or anything.

I suppose in reinstalling the drivers you've been in Device Manager and there are no conflicts or anything.

Oh well, at least Ethernet cards are super cheap.  Can probably get one for $15.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:54:28 PM »

I doubt very much that the hardware has failed, so don't go buying anything just yet!

I'm curious: when you "used the same cord" to connect bot the laptop and your computer, were they side-by-side, or is one located somewhere else along another, different section of cable or different router port?

You need to make sure the connection path is EXACTLY the same as the working laptop one in order to blame it on the connecting cable.... (Although it'd probably be EASIER to cart the laptop to wherever your computer is, unplug the "not connecting" cable from your computer and plug it into the laptop....  ::) )

The fact that it pops up with the warning "...unplugged" means that your network device is installed ... AND WORKING, or else it couldn't detect that situation!!  ::)  ;D

So my bet is that you're not testing your network using the EXACT same network cabling path when you did your test.... (Once you DO and find that something else besides the last-link of cable to your computer is NOT the problem, then you can look further down the line, and maybe find that something between there and the router is disconnected....)

[So I'm also saying NOT to mess with your drivers yet, until you're POSITIVE that your path to your router is fine....]

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
Yeah, I've tried all of the situations exampled in your post and even above and beyond that. Tried everything. Same port + same cord to a laptop (with wireless off, and they were on the same desk) and the laptop got connectivity through the Ethernet cord. Plugged the cord back into my PC again and nada. Tried different ports and cords on the router to my PC but still nothing.

And yeah, the device is installed and showing up under devices... just not getting any flow of information.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »

Then it sounds like you've probably got a connection problem IN THE SOCKET that you're plugging the cable into. (I'm sure it's the correct port, as you said it was working before, right?  Since some mobos have two ethernet ports....)

Make sure there's no crud in the socket, and check that you can see four small wires sticking up along the top or bottom of the socket. (On the side opposite the click-lock plastic part.)  Also, try wiggling it a little bit, and be sure that the cable >clicks< in place.)

...Just a thought, since we had this problem in another thread: It's an ETHERNET device/connection/port, right?  (Not a different kind, like Firewire/IEEE1394 port....)

Remember the three rules of networking!:

1) Check the cables!

2) Check the cables!, and

3) Check the cables!

:winkgrin:

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »
Yes, it's Ethernet. Checked the port, everything looks fine.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:50:14 AM »

Pls post a list of your available Networks and their Types and Device Names listed under

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

E.g. Mine is:

1394 Connection/LAN or High-Speed Internet/1394 Net Adapter
InternalNet/ " / NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
MidNet/  " /NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2

(I renamed all my Network Connections, so yours will be differently named....)

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 03:05:56 PM »
I just went ahead and got a network card at Target for $5 and all is good. (Lame I know...)

Thank you very much for the help though Mxy and Kiwi. ;D

Offline Toe Tag

• Junior Poster
  • You don't want any part of me.
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 06:57:45 PM »
Congratz, Max, for fixing your connection.

I'll paraphrase an author I like:  if it is lame but it works, then it isn't lame.

And for five bucks, it was cheap, too.
LIfe is good.  Vacation is better!

Print