Print 

Author Topic: "Gathering Exception Data"  (Read 2732 times)

Offline ÕÞ†!Mܧޮ!M€

• Newbie Poster
"Gathering Exception Data"
« on: March 01, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »
I hate when that happens. i lose all my conversation, the fun im having, new friends i just met, my score or lead...it goes on ............  :bang:

whils playing halo i get the message "Gathering Exception Date" randomly when im having a good time. but with CE it like every 5 minutes....really annoying.  :toughguy:  i believe my pc is ok because it can handle R6V verywell. so what is the problem? i have trien reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling, what else should i trie? any comments appreciated. just feel like smashing mu pc sometimes lol :AOL:

Offline dash64

• Newbie Poster
Re: "Gathering Exception Data"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:21:43 PM »
sometimes my pc doesn't load the maps, so I use task manager to exit then about 70% of the time I restart halo and it brings up the message "gathering exception data" then just closes, then I have to restart. And good from there.. Until next time.. Dunno how much this is going to help but I figured I might as well share..

:beachglasses:

Offline Draucus

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is more than the sum of it's parts.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:51:31 PM »
Nobody knows the soloution to this “Gathering Exception Data”.
That is why this thread is being replied to as much.
Or, atleast I think.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »

Short answer:

There are literally THOUSANDS of reasons why you might get repeated "Exception Errors," but without pouring through the cryptic info ( aka a "dump file") that it saves into a hidden directory on your machine we'll never know.

Suffice to say that if you can't equate it with some specific occurrance on your machine you're pretty-much left with this: You have a nasty, random hardware problem.

My guess would be a heat or bad memory problem.

Check your case airflow/cleanliness and then monitor its temperature and keep track of when it happens, and what the temp was at the time.

To check if it's your memory you have to hope it's just one stick, and remove one and run for a long time, then swap it for the other, and see if it tracks to one of the two sticks of memory.

Be sure to ground yourself and that the power is disconnected before messing witht eh insides of your computer tho!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:13:34 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline masterstars

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:38:57 AM »
in the option of bad memory you can run "memtext86" a free memory test just google that and download the iso and burn it useing the nero burning rom's BURN IMAGE command  then put the disk in and reboot the PC ... BOOT FROM THE CD  and run the test it's best to start it when u go to bed so there isin't a interferance  in your activitys 

should this fail i stand with the previous post of over heating,  should your case be clean of dust i'd say one of the following is over heating.  CPU GPU MEMORY and NORTHBRIGE (north brige is that chip in the center of your mother board)

get a can of compressed air (about 4 bucks at walmart) and blow out the inside of ur case

i'll up date this has i getter more info for you on mantanace

good luck

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:16:28 PM »

I'm thinking that you meant Memtest86, there, masterstar.... (Link provided here, too....)

NOTE: Be sure to select the zipped ISO image, then just use your fav' CD burning SW to "copy" the ISO onto a (RW, prefferably) CD....

Offline masterstars

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 09:55:40 PM »

I'm thinking that you meant Memtest86, there, masterstar.... (Link provided here, too....)

NOTE: Be sure to select the zipped ISO image, then just use your fav' CD burning SW to "copy" the ISO onto a (RW, prefferably) CD....

first thanks for the spelling correction,

here is the link [link} http://www.memtest86.com/ [/link]  http://www.memtest86.com/

but you do not want to "copy" the image.. other wise it woun't work. it MUST BE BURNED PROPERLY  i know this from experance,  i have worked on PC's for 4 years  i know this clearly, i have used PC"s for even longer then i have worked on them   now i'm not puting you down, just informing you  ;D   memtest86 should be run for at lest 6 hours to get a good check of your memory, the longer the better for most test

has i said before heat can also effect your computers' performance, so even if the test dose show good .. do a bit of house keeping,  get out that can of compressed air and ground out your self do your PC"s case and start blowing that dust out..  keeping the PC clean can help much more then you can ever think, and if ur PC needs it or can take it add a extra case fan  it helps move the heat out.. (some ppl take a duck from a AC and put it on their PC but that is going to the extream,  lol)  ^^! has with all computer tech's good luck with your PC and see you out there  :chief:   Destroyer signing out    for now lol

Offline Thud

• Posts Too Much
  • Yes I am twice the racer Elvis and Nerv are.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 07:08:58 AM »
Well I would rather go to my local PC store and buy a card tester and mobo tester.  Check sys info for errors and mod Dr Watson for dumps.
[img]http://users.adam.com.au/davidald/bfmbfmthud.jpg[img]

Offline ÕÞ†!Mܧޮ!M€

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:27:57 AM »
well ive tried memtest and when u said do it overnight i got the feeling it takes long but i had no idea it would take more than 2 hours so i had to cancel the first time. but the second, i passed 4 hours and it froze with a message "**something** interuption" so i had to reboot. i will try it another day for sure but for now i belive it is heat issue. i also ran a temp monitor for the cpu and it was about 64C when it crashed.
this is for everyone who has read this thread = can u do me a favour and test your cpu while playing halo for 10mins and tell me your results to get an idea of the ideal temp to be playing halo.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »
well ive tried memtest and when u said do it overnight i got the feeling it takes long but i had no idea it would take more than 2 hours so i had to cancel the first time. but the second, i passed 4 hours and it froze with a message "**something** interuption" so i had to reboot. i will try it another day for sure but for now i belive it is heat issue. i also ran a temp monitor for the cpu and it was about 64C when it crashed.
this is for everyone who has read this thread = can u do me a favour and test your cpu while playing halo for 10mins and tell me your results to get an idea of the ideal temp to be playing halo.

64C = 147.2F, so I can tell you for certain "That's TOO HOT!"

Might be acceptable as a high-end for a GPU peaked out, but not for your CPU.

Check that your CPU heat sink is doing its job by touching it VERY BRIEFLY - soas to NOT burn yourself! - and see if it's real hot too....

Offline ÕÞ†!Mܧޮ!M€

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 02:55:58 PM »
so, if i were to buy a new heat sink .........say for £20 which would you reccomend? i would be willing to go £30 if it is really good at its job.

ive got an advent t9000

ecs sf2 661fx motherboard socket m478

intel p4 presscot

Print