Print 

Author Topic: Internal or External  (Read 1278 times)

Offline D:

• Junior Poster
Internal or External
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »
Im going to buy a CD Driver (the thing that read cds) because mine dosnt works anymore but i see INTERNAL and EXTERNAL i thinked that the external is best but theres any problem if i buy the external? (it cconnects to USB)

Thx Mc§kittles

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
Re: Internal or External
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:17:17 AM »
I'd have to say the internal one would be faster. USB's aren't known for their high-speed capabilities. Now me, on the other hand... :P This is just wha I know, which ain't a whole lot. Get somebody else's opinion, like Mxy's.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:43:41 AM »

An internal one will probably be cheaper and faster, as Racr said.   An external USB one can be handy though if you want to use it on another computer for instance. 

Offline Wic

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »
I'd go internal as a "permanent" or full time one, although a backup external would be handy to have, as CD/DVD Roms can be finicky creatures and crap out suddenly for no known reason it seems, lol.  Internal would be faster than USB, plus use the internal power supply - an external would most likely need to be externally plugged in for power... and there aren't always enough plugs around.

I had one computer went through 3 of them in 2 months - obviously faulty - but under warranty.  Finally got one that is still in the machine today and working - and that computer is... uhmm..... uh....... YEARS old!

I also keep an external harddrive to back everything up on.  Slayton keeps stealing it for the music files on it.  I lost 11,000 songs off one comp when the harddrive died - cried for weeks.  :'(    That taught me.  All music cds/dvds that come into the house get ripped onto a computer, stored on a disk as a data file, and backed up to the external harddrive.  And for my own ones,  then play copies are made, the original goes on the shelf and is never used again most of the time.  I should sell 'em.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:17:58 AM »

Internal is the way to go, for most of the reasons listed already.

The only reason to get an external one is if you wanted to use it on several machines - that do NOT have a CD/DVD device - to save on money across them all.  (E.g. I stopped putting floppy drives in my machine LONG ago, and have two (one's a "spare") USB external floppy drives instead....)

Internal drives are faster, cheaper, MORE RELIABLE, and very easy to install.
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline D:

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
I have 2 desktop (dosnt workd the CD thing) and a labtop (CD dosnt work too :P) thats why i say for me i think it would be better an external what you guys and girls think :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:56:30 PM by BFM_Basanio »

Thx Mc§kittles

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »

sounds good.  just as long as you don't have to pay too much for it, and you don't mind that it will probably be a bit slower than an internal one (which might slow down some games if they access the CD, for example)

Offline D:

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
Well it will be slow but the 2 computer on my house need it (on my school we do some cds with proyects or other things for homework) but i think i will need to buy one internal

If i do buy and internal and buy the faster its any problem?, or i need the same speed that my computers have?

Thx Mc§kittles

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »

The speed of the CD/DVD drive does not matter.  Your computer will manage any that you can buy for it.

You might want to pay attention as to whether you need SATA or PATA (see pictures in these articles for connection and cable differences) connection for the internal drive, tho! (You should get the one that matches the one that you are replacing.)
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline D:

• Junior Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »
ok thx guys :)

Thx Mc§kittles

Print