Print 

Author Topic: My pet project  (Read 18615 times)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: My pet project
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2013, 02:21:55 AM »

Oh, and when the big one poops, it's horrific.

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
Do you have any ball pythons?  I have a few.  I'll post pics later if you don't mind.

Hope you're keeping up with SnakeBytes.tv.  We saw BHB Reptiles when they were in Chicago for a reptile show.  Someone had a big alligator in the lobby!

The biggest problem is that mine aren't shedding properly.  I think I need to get a better scratching post for them.
The next biggest problem is that I lose them all the time.  I need to put bells on them so I can find them wherever they are in the house.  Lost one overnight only to find him a foot away from where I left him. :doh:
Otherwise, I love these ball pythons.  They are so full of energy and have such a cute face.  Ball pythons would rather curl up into a ball than bite you (hence the name), so they're perfect pets except they are picky eaters.  Though for some reason our big guy, Mr. Nibbles :smly_a_wink:, doesn't like my glasses.  He's snapped at them three times now, causing me to bleed above my left eye once.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2013, 12:20:22 PM »

Hey, would love to see pics! I just have the four corn snakes now.

I've thought a lot about getting a ball python, reading up on their care and stuff, and always decide against it. They need highish steady humidity, they can stop eating for weeks/months at a time, and (worst of all! ;)) even though they have the cutest faces, the rest of their body makes them look like a giant slug. It'd be nice to have something that would just sit with you (people call BPs "lap snakes" lol). These corns don't stop moving when they're out -- unless they're pooping, and then I start moving.

And I do follow Snakebytes, every Wednesday :)

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Mr. Nibbles went into hiding when you called them "giant slugs:"

Otherwise he's as happy as Indiana Snake:

Our other two, Haku and Rush, acting like a (BFM) Hydra:

Rush is my personal computer technician:

Mr. Nibbles is from PetSmart, so we don't exactly know what kind he is, but we suspect he's a cinnamon ball (might have some heterozygous genes too).  Rush is a Lesser Pastel, and Haku is a Banana.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »

Love 'em! I'm going to go research ball pythons again :P

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
We've had so much fun with our snakes.  We put them in the candy bowl on Halloween.  Oddly enough, the princesses wanted to pet him, and the ninjas ran away. :XD:

Keeping the humidity up in the terrariums is hard.  Usually an hour after I spray the humidity is gone.  Could be our house's humidity is low as well.  We're going to get them an automatic mister for Christmas and see how that works.

I've heard the record for a ball python starving is 13 months.  Luckily ours only miss a week at most.  They are really, really picky what and when they eat.  Rush wasn't eating fuzzies, so my stupid self put a large mouse in front of him and he immediately struck it.  :doh: I cut the mouse in half for fear of him choking on such a large mouse.
We've had to "assist" them in eating sometimes.  Usually they chomp down once they realize there's food in their mouth.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2014, 04:42:01 AM »

Some snake head shots. Haven't done the bloodred yet:

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2014, 02:04:14 AM »
You should get a Taipan :P

Seriously though that is pretty cool

Offline Āmurs Raganām

• Newbie Poster
  • Most do not deserve that right...
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »
What did happen to those serpents of yours Jane; never did post pictures of the blood...
 :victory: :bump: :scrim: :wookie:
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »

Still snakin'! I haven't really taken any pictures of them in awhile, but they're looking all right and getting bigger. They pretty much look like this:

_

Only bigger and squigglier.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #100 on: July 31, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »
Did somebody say "updated snake pics"?!

Bloodred: 4 years old, 604 grams

Ultramel okeetee: 3 years old, 529 grams

Miami: 3 years old, 493 grams

Okeetee: 10 years old, 808 grams

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2016, 05:29:20 AM »
2.4 kg of snake!

Your snake photography skills sure have improved!

How long are they? Just ask them to stretch out next to a tape measure.

.       Thanks JANE, LËŐ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »
They're three or four feet. One or the other, or somewhere in between. Or a little more or less. Except the big okeetee at the bottom, that one's close to five feet, or so.

Tape measures? Who needs 'em!

Print