Print 

Author Topic: Urgent comp question.  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Urgent comp question.
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:01:13 PM »
OK so i was transporting my computer from my house to my aunts as i am house sitting for a week. I had my comp packed into my box that my tower had come in. When i went to pick up the box, the bottom gave out, causing the tower to fall and land on the floor. it wasn't a very high fall, less then maybe 8 inches to a 1 foot was the fall. I'm now really concerned that the processor or HDD or something else caused a major issue. Pressing the power button, the computer turns on, only one fan is plugged into the motherboard which is the processor fan, the other 6 are direct connect to the power supply. all fans turn on.
The GFX card runs as the fan stars running.
Now i have a speaker that is plugged into the motherboard and when it turns on, it normally emits one beep. Now there is nothing.
The monitor is plugged into the GFX card, but no display shows up, and does not bring up the bios screen. When the computer is on, the monitor stays blank, and does not display no signal, can leave on for 5-10 mins and it will never show "No display/whatever is normal when monitor is not connected.

I'm really hoping its a simple issue, but i fear the worst.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor: AMD FX-6350 Vishera 6-Core 3.9GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor FD6350FRHKBOX

Other notes: Power connections are all in place, motherboard has on/off usb and when something is plugged in, it charges just fine.  any questions ask me here or shoot me a PM.

Thanks guys.
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Re: Urgent comp question.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 12:28:22 AM »
Well I would say the hard drive would be fine given that it would be in a parked state and the read write heads would not have been in contact with the surface.  Its more likely that something has come unseated during the impact or that damage was sustained too one of the slots usually the graphics card slot particularly if the card has a heavy cooler. 
If it was me

1: I would check the case to see if it is deformed also check to make sure that all the wires coming from the motherboard including reset / power / led power / HHD led are ok it is rare but it can happen that the case flexes and pinches some minor cables causing a short that would provent the mobo posting.

2: If you use an aftermarket CPU cooler that is big and heavy check to make sure that the fixing is still firmly in place  and that there is no stress damage.

3: Remove and reseat things like sound cards / graphics cards and memory

If it still does not work it is possable that the graphics card may have been damaged this can happen if it has a heavy cooler causing alot of flex during the impact causing damage its also possable the slot may have sustained damage ( One of the reasons why I do not like the locking clip on the new PCI E slots because if you drop it and the case flexes rather than the card popping out of the slot alittle avoiding damage it is held in place by the locking clip causing the card to wrench and pull at the actual socket )  So I would normally say then unplug everything from the motherboard except the ram and try the on board graphics but your mobo does not have that so in your case I would say try another slot and if possable try another graphics card just incase it did get some damage.  If it still does not work its possable it has damage that you cant see so i would probibly remove the mobo and closer inspect it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:40:02 AM by BFM_ËQINÖX »

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:36:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply, i will go ahead and check in a different slot for the GFX card. and if i get nothing i will try another one. i didnt notices any deformations in the case, i did look at my after market cpu cooler and it doesnt look like it moved at all.

New note: when i turn the computer on, i turned off the monitor and turned it back on it brings up "No display" and goes back off. When i unplug it from the card, it says cable no connected like most will.

i will try another gfx card that somewhat works. what i mean is that i have another one that runs but the fan died but if im just testing it on startup, it should be alright.

will double check all cables and make sure everything is secure. will post results either today or tomorrow,
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:30:12 AM »
If the graphics card is a concern take it out and run the computer without it, with monitor plugged into motherboard.

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »
Update: tried different video card, still nothing. My motherboard does not have onboard video. i will be testing the HDD later today. For me everything is pointing to my processor but thats me. I do not have another board that supports it so i cant properly test to see if thats the issue.

Other notes i forgot to mention. Keyboard and mouse wont turn on after waiting a while. I have a Razor blackwidow that lights green when on. and a logitech g600 mmorpg mouse, also lights up. after waiting for a bit neither will light up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:32:29 PM by Zeek »
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:51:50 AM »
Does the computer beep if you turn it on without the graphics card plugged in?
Otherwise is there any indicator on the motherboard in that would indicate that it's working?

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:39:19 AM »
tested by removing the graphics card. still no beep. There is no indicator light. But the On/off usb ports are supplying power when the computer is on or off. the only fan connected to the motherboard which is the CPU fan will turn on when turning on the computer. when the graphics card is plugged in, the fan will start running.
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Print