Print 

Author Topic: Free anti-malware/virus recommendations?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Free anti-malware/virus recommendations?
« on: July 22, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »
Ok, so im having PC troubles... 30+ fps drop every second or so on higher resource demanding games. Can hear the PC fan race each time it drops.

Found alot of malware and removed it, cheated into C:\users\myname\appdata (as this folder is hidden), scanned it again, found a bit more malware. Got rid, still problems.

But my current games being unplayable, irritates me less than constantly finding nothing but "free antivirus/malware" programs, that first state "FREE!", then it turns out you have to purchase the "advanced magical all singing all dancing gourmet version" to get the full features and full protection and full updates...
Im not in a position to pay at this time.

Seriously, just downloaded spybotSD (used to be popular some time ago) and its now saying to get full version, which is 6 times more likely to find viruses etc...

So whats the point in offering a free version for these things when its 6+ times less likely to do the bog standard job its intended to do?!

Im losing faith, help.  :XD:

Offline BFM_Fuzzy

• Major
Re: Free anti-malware/virus recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:46:28 PM »
Avast Free Antivirus 2017 ranks as the best free antivirus, according to PC Magazine. It has very good antivirus protection and is good at catching threats. And it's free! You can download it >here<.

Malwarebytes is another effective tool. While Avast is very effective, sometimes Malwarebytes catches things it misses, especially on very infected computers. This is only a 14 day free trial, but that's all you need to clean out your machine. >Link<.

If you're running windows 8.1 or windows 10, you should be fine on the firewall front. But if you're running something older, I recommend you get ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2017. It's probably the best free firewall solution out there. You can get it >here<.

That should get you started. Hopefully it's all you'll need. Please post back if you have any trouble. :)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »
Thanks for help Fuzzy.

Offline BFM_Fuzzy

• Major
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »
Also, if your machine is really infected, you might consider just moving your data off and wiping the drives and starting over. I had a really infected machine a few years ago and had a hard time getting it fully cleaned of viruses. So I booted up with a Ubuntu disc, moved my essential files off, and then wiped the drives and reinstalled windows. No trouble since, but I scanned it with various anti-virus tools for a while to be sure nothing was brought along when I moved my files. It's a time consuming endeavor, depending on how many files you'd have to move. But you might want to consider it if you have a hard time cleaning it up.

Please post if you need any other help!

Print