Print 

Author Topic: Windows Update stalls  (Read 2467 times)

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Windows Update stalls
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
Hi all.

My fiancée recently purchased a refurb Asus laptop from newegg. It came with Windows 8, bit won't let me install some apps that are necessary for her job until it updates to 8.1, which I can't do untill I install the latest updates ... which I can't do because... it's windows 8... I was under the impression thay the laptop would come with a partition for the creation of a backup/rescue/repair usb drive (discs are SO out these days), however the manufacturer wiped it when they were removing the original buyer's data (apparently they did this on purpose as well...). So, after attempting numerous ways to manually download and install the updates, "fix" windows update (ranging from booting in selective mode with firewall and antivirus disable to using the command prompt to re register my dll's....) and learning that microsoft does not offer any real assistance with windows update, I've decided to come to you guys. = )

Basically,  the app checks for updates, finds about 96 or so, and tries to download them. Only problem is that the download sits at 0kb/ however many it is.... I've tried being patient but that proved quite futile. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

P.S. I've tried using windows built in windows update repair app to no avail. Finds two issues, fixes one but isn't able to eepair the other.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
Re: Windows Update stalls
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:39:51 PM »
Just a  few questions

1: Are you  sure the recovery partition is gone?  These are hidden partitions and can not be seen using the windows partition tool.

2: Has the windows key been properly activated

You could also download the updates / 8.1update manually from the microsoft site i had to do this my self sometime back when the auto update failed to work just as yours has.  Its also possable that if the laptop has a COA sticker on it with the windows KEY you could download a fresh copy of windows 8.1 and install it clean.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:01:50 AM »
It did not come with the sticker, and when I tried installing updates manually it wouldn't let me. As for the recovery partition, it is truly gone. The seller included an "instructions for getting set up" piece of paper informing me that they wiped it in order to remove any possible personal data from the original user. My thinking is they wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install without creating the b=recovery partition... I've sent it back for a replacement, so hopefully the next one won't have this issue. Otherwise, I might see if I can somehow find the license number for windows 8 through the software and try to deal with it that way...
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Offline BruinX

• Regular Poster
  • "Veni, Vidi, Vici"
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:54:57 PM »
I hope you have this fixed by now but, this is what fixed mine mate:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821.

Also, mine was really really slow. Like, it sat there for more than hour before it started downloading.

I have some more pointers if you are still having problems.

Bru
Kid buys arizona tea,
other kid throws it in woods,
original kid looks in woods for it,
comes back crying.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 02:38:46 PM »
We sent it back and got the replacement, which by the way was still giving us issues with manually updating it. I then scheduled the automatic update for the nearest time possible and.... it worked! It was indeed very slow, and took numerous automatic updates in order to get the laptop up to date in order to upgrade to 8.1 (and install more updates!) but it all worked out in the end.

For future reference though, I'm bookmarking that page, sending it to multiple e-mails, and saving a note of it on my phone.... >.>

Thanks Bruin!