Print 

Author Topic: Network Problems? RESET IT!  (Read 12747 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Network Problems? RESET IT!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 01:37:48 AM »
Ok  question...

First off, i do NOT use wireless...now then..

For the past few months, i have been having connection problems with xbox live and my computer. Ive tried resetting both the router and modem, ive tried the FULL shutdown as said in OP, and even had time warner come out and look at it. They said nothing was wrong and left me with crappy connection. Any ideas what my be going on?

You should've started a thread specific to your problem in the Tech Support board, not here in one of the FAQs....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
Re: Network Problems? RESET IT!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »
This problem no longer exists.  I'm only seeking thoughts/wisdom.  Thanks for reading if you choose to proceed.

It's been months since my change from DHCP to all-static in my house and I can honestly say that I'm absolutely convinced every network connectivity problem I've previously had while I was set up for DHCP was because of my Linksys router's DHCP.  I've had Wi-Fi enabled the whole time:  before and after.  My brother's Wii gets net only from the wireless.  It doesn't seem to make a difference.

The problem I used to have is that I would lose Internet once in a while at pretty close to the same time.  Sometimes it would be 1am-2am.  Others it might be 7pm.  It seems to me that it revolves around about a 6 hour time frame.  I notice that the DHCP on the router is set for 6 hour lease by default.  Oh, and when it went out, it was out for good.  It might have happened for an hour.  Back then, I wasn't so educated with computer technology, but I did know how to test if I actually[/] had internet by just plugging directly into the modem - and it would give me net.  I plug into the router once again and nope... nothing.

Does this seem to make sense or am I not making any sense?  I can only go from my recollection since I never have the problem anymore.  I also don't have that router anymore, but it was also a $40-or-so Linksys.

I also want to mention that, back then, I followed the procedure at the beginning of this thread and it didn't always work.

I realize that it probably can't be narrowed down to 1 final conclusion and I can't really give any more information than what I've given here, but I'm just looking for thoughts.  So... thoughts?

Print