Print 

Author Topic: Camp Rockie Samples (chapters 1-2)  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Geekums

• Posts Too Much
  • YOU'VE BEEN GEEKED!
Camp Rockie Samples (chapters 1-2)
« on: July 21, 2007, 06:54:02 PM »
{From Geek 7/21/07, added Camp Rockie to here. Fan Fiction by Geek}

Well after long long long long thought, I've decided to post a little bit of my novel on here. This is JUST sample to see how you guys like it. I edited out some of the words and replaced them to suit the forum's ettiquite as well. I also made some labels like "Cheetos" for example different. I don't like to take other company's/shows/ or anyone else's names without asking, so I slightly changed them. Enjoy.

P.S. Somethings SHOULD be in Italics but they are not. The Italics indicate the main character talking inside his head.

CAMP ROCKIE

Chapter One

Jeff Patherson was walking briskly down the school’s main hall, while the school bell rang. It was the last day of school and everyone was celebrating, even the principle. Now I can sleep in and stay up late, I love the summer... Jeff thought, as a massive wave of students from every possible roomstarted to pour out and mob down the hall. They cheered and hollered for the final day of the school year. Jeff joined the clustered crowd, scuttling out of the building, onto the concrete stairs in the front. Groups formed on the campus of the small high school while conversations arose as people talked about what they were doing and where they were going in the summer season. Jeff stood on the very top of Watch Hill High’s steps, watching the people blather, laugh, and some others dissipated off, heading home or to a party. “See ya, Jeff, have a great summer, man,” Jeff’s friend, Hark said, slapping him on the shoulder. Hark was one year older than him and it showed. He was at least six feet tall and he was mostly muscle. Deep brown, messy cropped hair looked like it was slapped and tapped on his head. A maroon tank top with a skull surrounded by fire stuck to the muscled body of Hark. Sweat was outlined around the neck area of the shirt. Dark, green camouflage shorts covered his thighs to his knees. “Yeah, you too,” Jeff replied, a little disgusted at the wetness around Hark’s tank top. It was around mid June and when the sun was out, it scorched everything it had under it. He gave a thumbs up at Jeff and strode down the stairs, to the sidewalk. Jeff watched him walk until he could barely see him anymore. He glanced around for a second longer then decided to go. “No more boring old school until September, yes,” Jeff whispered, as he bent down to the chain that was around his bike, resting against the bike rack. A few chinks then the black, ten speed became free from the chains. He sat on top of it and pushed off, pedaling down the street to his house.
Jeff opened the door to the two story white house with dark blue shutters and went in. “How was your last day of school, honey?” Jeff’s mother, Patricia, asked from the kitchen.
“It was good,” Jeff answered, noticing the smell of soap and sugar cookies that hung into the air of the house. He ambled into the kitchen as his mother was washing dishes. “Just good?” Patricia mocked.
“It was great, Mom,” Jeff slightly pitched his voice a little higher, pretending to be happy. Patricia made a light noise indicating a chuckling sound. “Well, your father is going to be home in a while, then we’ll have dinner,” she told him.
“Alright, I’ll be upstairs, call me down when there’s food,” Jeff replied, heading out of the room, about to go up the stairs.
“Take off your shoes,” Patricia piped up from the other room.
Jeff sighed slightly and bent down. He slipped his Etnie shoes off, letting them fall from his hands down the stairs, making a clunk noise when it hit the bottom. The soft, cushiony texture of the lush carpet soaked into Jeff’s feet in between his toes as he trudged up the stairs.
The absent hum of a T.V. on and the crumpling of a plastic chip bag rumpled through the upper hallway. Jeff turned to the door on the left of him, seeing ‘BEWARE OF ATTACK HUMAN’ and ‘CAUTION’ yellow tape was wrapped around his older brother, Keith's, door.
He slowly turned the golden knob on the door, peeking in the dark room, light only showing from the T.V. set that was on in Keith’s room. “Ha, what an idiot,” he laughed at the T.V. Keith never watched anything except The Sompsons, Malcolm on the bottom, and Viva La Bom. Other times he would play heavy metal music way above maximum or tap on the keyboard on his Dall laptop. “You’re not going to be hungry for dinner, you know,” Jeff said, startling Keith.
“What the heck! Get out of my room, you groog!” Keith yelled with a mouth full of Cheetes.
“Sorry, sorry, sheesh,” Jeff uttered, taking his head out from the dank room and shutting the door.
Why does he always have to say that I’m a groog... (A groog is what people would call weaker, smaller, younger, ext.)
He sighed and walked forward, heading to the direction of his room. He passed his parent’s room, ending up at the door to his own. There was a small sign that read ‘When The Door Is Shut, Knock... That Means You Keith.’ Jeff had put that up ever since Keith had barged into his room one day and ruined all of his stuff, just to see if his remote was there. Jeff turned the knob and sauntered in the room.
His room was unkept and looked like any other boy’s room about his own age. There were posters of his favorite bands like Story of the Hour and Trap on the lightly blue painted walls. A short twin-size bed covered the left side of the room, while directly to the right of it had a messy computer desk with a Dall laptop sitting on the top of it. Paper, pencils, and miscellaneous items masquarded the area, making some parts of the desk and floor around it seem like they were never there. In the back of the room was a T.V., under it was a puny bookcase with a GameBox and XCube settled on the top of it. There was a copy of an Evil Residents game resting over the GameBox. Jeff was into all of the survival horror games, Evil Residents was his favorite. In the bookcase were books like the Holy Bible, comics, and even Evil Residents. The books were shoved and crammed in, making the pages yellow and rip.
Jeff walked to his mirror also in the end of the room, starring at the 14 year-old boy gazing back at him. His dark blue T-shirt was wrinkled and you could see some sweat stains also around his neck area. Tan cargo shorts concealed his thighs to his knees. He looked up at his face, seeing the green eyes, fine nose, and mouth. Jeff scowled at himself, ruffling his straight, brown hair with one of his hands. He took his hand down and looked at some sweat that had persperated on his head. Jeff wiped his hand on his shorts and paced to his desk, sitting on the torn up, old computer chair. He lifted the top of the portable computer and tapped the POWER button. A tiny ding sound indicated that the laptop was turned on. The desktop blinked up on the screen, showing a background with zombies eating some poor citizens of some distant city not known of. Jeff almost clicked a button on his mouse when he heard- “Jeff, dad’s home, it’s dinner time!” his mother yelled from the downstairs. Jeff sighed and got up from his chair reluctantly, trudging over to his door.
He heard the T.V. from Keith’s room click off and a sound like a big animal was stomping around the room, as Jeff stepped out from his own. The door across the hall flew open, revealing Keith, looking as if he were ready to strike at something like a fierce predator. “Dibs on the first plate,” Keith sneered. In the Patherson household, whoever was first to the table would get to have the first plate of food. “Only if you’re faster than me, bro... Which you aren’t!” Jeff shot back as they both flew down the stairs. Jeff dashed ahead of Keith, smelling the sweet scent of fresh pasta from the stove. As he was enjoying the aroma, he didn’t even notice Keith’s weight pushing him forward until it was too late. Jeff fell off the forth step to the bottom, crashing to the floor beneath him. “Tough luck, bro,” Keith taunted and nimbly walked into the kitchen.
“What an idiot,” Jeff mumbled, wincing at the small bruise that was forming on his calves as he was getting up.
He limped in the kitchen and sat down at the table, noticing Keith smirking back at him as their mother put a plate of spaghetti with meat sauce down in front of him. “Were you two racing down the stairs again? I don’t want you doing that, someone could get hurt,” Patricia remarked, turning to the counter to prepare another dish. “Yeah, Keith, someone could get hurt, or fatally injured to the head,” Jeff mocked.
“What like the time you were dropped on your head?” replied Keith with another smirk as he stuffed a mountain of spaghetti in his mouth.
“Shut up!” stammered Jeff, getting frustrated.
“What are you gonna do about it, groog?” Keith antagonized.
“Tie you up to a chair and push you down the stairs!" Jeff retorted.
“Alright, you two, that’s enough,” their father, Henry, said, coming in the kitchen from the dining room. He had a grey work suit with a red tie on. Crisply polished black shoes shined on his feet and a stunning face that seemed to fit with the ensemble. Henry walked over and sat down at the table, glancing around to see what was for dinner. “So, Keith how was your last day at school, only one year left, right?” Henry asked, trying to stir up a conversation.
“Yeah, I’m finally gonna move out of this place, I can’t wait,” Keith replied, smiling.
“Who says that your gonna graduate twelfth grade? Maybe they wanna keep you here,” Jeff piped up as his mother gave him a plate of pasta.
“Why would they wanna keep me here?” Keith buzzed, food falling from his mouth.
“They might want to study you because they want to see how and idiot made it all the way to highschool,” Jeff retorted, smiling.
“Then I guess they might wanna study you as well,” Keith argued.
Jeff 0... Keith 2...
“Alright, stop bickering. I want a nice meal tonight,” Patricia commanded, placing down a plate for Henry and herself as she sat down at the table. “Yes, well anyways, Jeff I found something very interesting in the mail for you,” Henry announced.
“Wait, I thought I did good on my report card? I studied hard! I really did!” Jeff wailed, afraid of what he might say.
“No, no, Jeff, it wasn’t your report card. It was a brochure,” Henry replied with a small chuckle. He took out a piece of paper that was divided up in three parts. He opened it up, making it look like an origami accordion. “It’s a summer camp! You stay there for one week. You swim, play games, and meet some new people! It’s great there, Jeff. It’s called Camp Rockie,” Henry told him, handing the brochure to Jeff. Keith let out a little held laugh as Patricia softly smacked him over the head, giving him a ‘Don’t do that’ stare.
Jeff scanned the brochure, noticing the name was spelled wrong and cocked an eyebrow. “Are you kidding? Do I have to go? They can't even spell it right!” Jeff requested.
“Well I already took the pleasure in enrolling you there. So, yes. It will be fun, Jeff! It’s better than being locked up in your room all day and doing nothing all summer. Also, it was probably just a typo,” Henry stated. Jeff gave a small huff of reluctance and nodded in agreement.
“Yeah, I wouldn’t wanna be locked in my room with nothing to do, but eat an expired bag of Cheetes and watching mindless babble on the T.V... Kinda like the gorilla over there,” Jeff remarked, as Keith narrowed his eyes. Jeff 1... Keith 2... “Alright then, there is a bus leaving at the community center to the camp in a couple days,” Henry informed, happy that Jeff was going to go without a fuss.
The family of four talked for a while and finished their dinner. Jeff put his plate in the dishwasher and started for the stairs. He was about to go into his room when a hand fell across his right shoulder. “Gah!” Jeff yelped in surprise. He whirled around to see Keith with a serious face on for once in his life. “Hey,” Keith started, his voice soft.
“What?” Jeff asked.
“I’ve heard some stories about that summer camp... And they weren’t happy ones, Jeff. I’ve known some kids in my class that went there and the next school year, they were different... Almost like someone had taken their souls. The people there make you suffer and stuff ... Not good, bro,” Keith told him, making Jeff even more uncomfortable.
“Why the heck are you telling me this?” Jeff demanded.
“I just want you to be careful there and watch yourself alright? Even though you’re a dorky, groog brother, I don’t want you to be changed like the people I saw. It’s scary,” Keith said with deep concern. Jeff could see he wasn’t putting on a show or joking with him.
“Why are you all caring and mushy all of a sudden?” Jeff requested, cocking an eyebrow.
“Cause’ you’re my lil’ bro, that’s why,” Keith replied, giving Jeff a noogie on his head. For once in Jeff’s life, he felt that his older brother finally cared about another human being, other than himself. Keith gave Jeff a nod and went into his room, shutting shutting the door. Speakers blared of heavy metal music from Keith’s room, shaking the hall. Jeff turned and opened his door to his own room. He sat on his bed and wondered what Keith was really talking about... And was it really safe to go to Camp Rockie?

The birds chirped as the sun was rising, shining the sky with it’s bright rays. It was the day Jeff was going to Camp Rockie and he felt a knot of dread in his stomach, as he was packing his bag. After what Keith told him about the summer camp a few nights ago, Jeff was having second thoughts of going. He did seem serious about the ‘be careful and watch your back’ crap, but he also had a reputation of being the best liar and joker around.
Jeff shook the dawdling thoughts away and crammed some extra clothes in a gym bag. He opened the door and walked in the bath room. He snatched his tooth brush, floss, and two bars of soap. Then Jeff strode out of the bathroom to the downstairs. A nice fragrance of smoking sausage, bacon, and eggs filled the air around him, embarking from the kitchen. Jeff stepped off the last stair, dropping his bag in the entryway. He let the smell of meat lead him to the kitchen. “Are you ready for camp, honey?” his mother asked, cooking over the stove.
“Yeah, I guess,” Jeff replied, walking over to the table and sitting down.
“Great! I made a nice breakfast for you,” Patricia said, bringing a plate full of sausage, bacon, eggs, and toast.
The Patherson family ate a lot of meats and carbs, safe to say, none of them would stand a chance being a vegetarian. As Jeff began his feast, his father jaunted into the room, dressed in his daily work suit and briefcase at his side. “Are you pumped up for camp, son?” Henry buzzed, motioning his fist in triumph.
“Yup, I can’t wait, dad,” Jeff lied, feeling another knot in his stomach. He finished his breakfast and walked over to his bag, but didn't pick it up yet. “Jeff,” Keith called over from the living room, startling Jeff. He did as he was told and walked into the living room where Keith was. He was standing in the middle of the room wearing his black Metallice shirt and white shorts, or in other words his bed clothes. His slick, dark hair was miscombobalated, making him look like he just woke up, which he probably did. Keith paced to Jeff and held out his hand for a handshake. “Miss ya, bro,” he confessed.
“Same here,” Jeff replied. Keith gave his little brother a bear hug.
“Be careful,you hear?” Keith warned, as Jeff nodded.
“Alright, see ya later,” Jeff said and went into the entryway, picking up his bag. “Good bye, you guys,” He told his parents, popping his head in the kitchen.
“Oh, my son is going away!” Patricia wailed, running over to Jeff, embracing him. Jeff hated when his mother did that. She was always too over-protective, treating people like they were four rather than fourteen. “Have fun, Jeff!” Henry wished, also giving his son a hug. He tried to tare away from the lock his parents kept him in, then finally they released him after two minutes. Jeff turned to the door and opened it, sun pouring in the room. “Bye,” he said and strode outside.
Jeff ambled down the walkway and stopped at his bike that was chained to a baby tree. The chains gave way as he turned the locking system, setting the bike free. He hopped on it and pedaled down the street, the morning glow giving it a dream like feel.
“On an errand, Jeff? It’s pretty early for you to be out,” a girl a little younger then him asked.
“I’m going to summer camp, Wendy,” he replied, slowing down a bit.
“Oh, then have fun!” she declared, grinning. Jeff smiled back and rode on, heading for the community center. He arrived there and hopped off his bike. That’s strange... Wouldn’t the bus be here by now?... “Hi there,” a boy with a reverse mohawk greeted. The boy must have been a year older than Jeff, and he looked like a punk. He had skater clothes, shoes, and the whole nine yards. “I need your bike,” he demanded.
“I’m sorry, but I payed a lot of money for this bike, I don’t let anyone use this other then myself,” Jeff replied.
“Alright then, I understand,” the boy agreed, taking a step away.
Suddenly, he charged at Jeff, punching him in the gut. Jeff lost his breath, seeing the boy steal his bike and ride off. “I asked nicely!” the boy yelled from afar, laughing. “What the heck,” Jeff whispered, slowly standing straight from the blow he had just taken. People these days...
Just then, Jeff heard a rumbling sound, like when you hear a garbage truck approaching. He peered down the road, as a huge black bus came, stopping right in front of him. On the side it said ‘Camp Rockie’ in big, white letters. The door to the bus opened, revealing a short, plump driver. “You going to Camp Rockie?” he asked with a raspy voice you would normally hear when you see midgits dressed as elves in the mall near Christmas.
“Yeah,” Jeff replied, stepping up onto the stairs of the bus.
As he strode onto the aisle of the bus, he could see kids about his age yelling, taunting, and talking loudly. He walked by the seats, searching for an open space. People starred at him as he stepped by, quiteing down. It wasn’t the way they starred at him though that was scary... It was what they looked like. The kids had ruffled hair and weird clothes on, like they have been riding in the bus for over three days.
Suddenly, the bus jerked forward, making Jeff trip and fall into a seat. It was empty except there was a boy at the window seat. Jeff turned his head to the boy, noticing him shake all over. His hands were dancing and his eyes darted around like two pinballs. What a great day... First, have my bike stolen right in front of me and now I meet a total spaz. The boy’s head flinched and span to look at who his partner was. He gave a wavering smile (probably due to the flinching) and turned his head again, starring at the back of the seat in front of him. Not a spaz... Try a schizophrenic basket case!
Jeff rotated next to him and his eyes went wide.
There in the seat was a tall teenager, looking about the age of seventeen. The teen had a huge scar, angling down from his jaw and ending just above his upper lip. He had spiked, dark brown hair, with a tint of blonde on the tips at the top. He wore a black beater, revealing his massive muscles on his arms. There were some smaller scars curving around and down his arms. There also, was a tattoo that ran down the length of both his arms. One said ‘No One Has Peace.’ On the other arm was pretty much the same, but a different tattoo saying ‘Politics Suck.’ The teen had jean shorts that ended at his knees. There were scars that also wound down his legs stopping at his feet. He wore some kind of weird brand of skater shoes that Jeff hadn’t known yet. The teen turned his head toward Jeff, revealing his dark green eyes and a serious face slapped on. Feeling intimidated, Jeff swerved his gaze away from the fearful looking teen.
He was starting to wonder if he belonged at Camp Rockie. I guess there is only one way to find out... He rested his head against the seat, afraid of what might be waiting at the camp...

Detail Atun Hut!

How are you're feet?
TOGETHER!
Stomach?
IN!
Chin?
UP!
Shoulders?
BACK!
Elbows?
FROZEN!
Eyes?
WITH PRIDE!
Eyes?
WITH PRIDE!
Attitude?
IN YOUR FACE!

Offline Geekums

• Posts Too Much
  • YOU'VE BEEN GEEKED!
Re: Camp Rockie Samples (chapters 1-2)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 06:54:53 PM »
{From Geek: Added second chapter}

Well here's chapter 2 as I have promised... Well actually I never promised that... But here it is anyways lol:

P.S. I scanned the whole thing to suit the forum ettiquite, however, if I missed something, please PM me ASAP so it will be fixed.

P.S.S. One of my favorite characters is in the chapter!

P.S.S.S. There might be a little bit of hard words to pronounce...

Chapter Two

After about an hour of riding on the bus, it came to a halt, so everyone on it stood up. Jeff rose from sitting on the sweaty, sticky seat, ready to get off the bus. The boy next to him jerked up, still spazing like before. Jeff gazed out of the windows, viewing a regular seeming summer campsite with two or three cottages, some trees, and a lake ahead. The sliding door opened on the bus and people started to clear out of the hot bus.
Jeff advanced off into the wilderness. There were two more buses behind the one he got out of, people pouring out from them. The people were about his age and reminded him of highschool, forming groups and talking.
The weird thing however was that everyone dressed oddly and he hadn’t even seen a girl. In the brochure it said it was a boys and girls camp, but he had only seen teenage boys.
A person about the age of twenty passed him and smiled. He must have been a camp counselor because he had a green uniform on with a mountain logo on it. “Alright, here we go,” Jeff breathed to himself, walking to where some teens were. A boy about a year older than him approached him. “Hey, guys it’s a cockroach!” the boy called out as a group of three boys about the same age came up behind him. The boy had spiky hair shooting around his head, a dark blue tone covered the tips. His brown eyes were deep, almost as if they were smiling as big as his mouth was. His ears were somewhat pointed oddly at the ends, as if he were some deranged elf. He had a pale green shirt on saying ‘A Hard Knock Life' in bold, white letters. On his right wrist was a black wrist band, while on the opposite side was a bracelet with spikes bolting up from it. There was a tattoo on his left arm in the shape of a grinning shark. He wore a pair of worn out jeans with massive rips, tears, and stains on it. His shoes were drawn over and had about a million signatures, scribbled everywhere as if he was out of paper for autographs so he had to resort to his feet! “We almost never have a lot of recruits like the ol’ days, right Spike?” asked one the others behind ‘Spike.’
“Not really, Crow,” Spike replied to ‘Crow’ behind him. Crow wore a black trench coat, black shoes, and black jeans. Probably a gothic punk... A side of his dark hair was pasted on the opposite, making him look even more of a goth.
“What’s his name, Spike?” another teen piped up from behind him. That one had blonde hair, slicked back, making him look as if he were a celebrity. A white T-shirt with a smiley face saying ‘Resistence is Futile... Have a Great Day!’, covering his topside. He wore tan cargo shorts and Vons skateboard sneakers. His eyes were dark brown, but they weren’t very intimidating.
“How the heck would I know, Pit?” Spike replied, nudging ‘Pit’ in the stomach.
“Well ask the cockroach!” squawked the last one. This teen seemed familiar somehow... It’s the kid who stole my bike!...
“Alright, shut up, Spit-Fire!” Spike commanded as ‘Spit-Fire’ did as he was told.
“So, what’s your name?” Spike asked Jeff.
“M-My n-name is J-Jeff,” he stuttered in reply.
“This dude is such a cockroach,” Crow mumbled. Spike nodded up at his gang and turned to Jeff.
“W-well, J-Jeff, I’m gonna give you a nice warm welcome,” Spike mocked as they got closer to him. The crowd of four beat Jeff, knocking him to the ground. Dirt, twigs, and more objects from the ground dug into Jeff.
“Welcome to Camp Rockie, Jeff! We’re gonna have bundles of fun!” Pit laughed and then they ran off.
“Well I met some new people, dad,” Jeff uttered to himself while he got up from the dirt beneath him.
Jeff turned a bit, seeing the intimidating teen he sat across from on the bus. He was leaned against a tree while a crowd of people talked around him. His arms were crossed over his chest, chewing on a toothpick and he didn’t even move nor say a word, listening in on the other conversations, chewing on a toothpick. Jeff took a step forward, going to the tree where the large amount of people were, but quickly decided against it. If everyone in this summer camp were like the teens who just beat him up, he didn’t want to mess around with anyone at all. “Hey, cockroach,” a southern voice said behind him.
“Ah!” Jeff yelped, whirling around to see who it was.
“Whoa, easy there feller.’ Sorry, ter startle ya,’” a teen a few years older than Jeff tried to calm down.
He had a long strip of black hair run down the right side of his face. A once white beater with dirt and grass stains covered his chest and he wore a pair of dirty faded jeans with red paint on them. “Ma’ name is Lean, what’s bout’ yours?” The teen asked, holding out his hand for a shake.
“Jeff,” he replied, accepting the shake.
“Welcome ter Camp Rockie, Jeff! Ya’ll have a good time here... Well as long as ya’ll watch yerself that is,” Lean greeted.
“What do you mean?” Jeff requested.
“Ah, some people will try ter give ya’ a hard time, but if they happen ter like ya’ then ya’ll be okay,” Lean answered.
“Is that why they call me a cockroach?” Jeff inquired.
“kinda, but they call every new camper a cockroach, it’s normal, but as I said before... If they like ya’ then they'll call ya’ by a nickname or ya’ outside name,” Lean answered again.
“Oh,” Jeff said, a little disappointed with the people here, but happy that he had made a friend.
“Come on, let’s meet, the Legend,” Lean invited, pushing Jeff toward where the crowd of people at the tree was.
“Legend? What’s a Legend?” Jeff asked, a little afraid.
“The Legend. He’s been going ter Camp Rockie for quite a while... He knows a lot bout’ this place. He's been here ever since it opened. Great guy he is. He has lots of stories and crap like that. I’ll tell ya’ more bout’ him later on... Well if I can,” Lean went on, forcing Jeff to go to the tree.
Lean stopped where the horde of teens began, pushing his way through the maze. “These people think Legend likes 'em, but he don’t like no one. He’s a loner, only likes certain people who come across him, otherwise... Good luck,” Lean said, driving through the mosh-pit as Jeff tried to keep up. Lean finally made it out and into the middle of the tree where Legend was. “Good day, Legend,” Lean greeted while saluting.
“These people are city-slickers, Lean. Pathetic is what they are,” Legend replied, chewing on the toothpick.
“I agree much so, sir,” Lean said. Legend darted an eye toward Jeff and cocked an eyebrow. “Who's this?” he asked, nodding his head at Jeff, but addressing the question to Lean.
“This here's, Jeff... Uh, I didn’t catch ya’ last name,” Lean replied, turning to Jeff.
“Jeff Patherson,” he said for himself and offered a hand shake. Legend sighed and then cleared his throat. “New here, Jeff?” Legend imposed, closing his eyes.
“Yes, sir,” he replied. Legend opened his eyes again and nodded to Lean. “Do what you normally do, I give permission,” Legend uttered to Lean.
“Yes, sir, thank ya’, sir,” Lean replied. Legend waved his hand for them to go away and Lean pushed Jeff toward the group again, this time to go out. “What did he mean by that?” Jeff asked, forcing through the wave of people.
“Well if I meet a newbie here, I try ter help them out with showin' them 'round. But, if Legend thinks that person can't be trusted, I let them loose. I think Legend likes ya,' but we'll have ter see,” Lean answered. They heaved and pried out of the mass, and stood out in the open for a second.
All of a sudden a blare of noise came from trumpets and drums from somewhere near by. “Come on, we gotta get ter the stage,” Lean said, making Jeff follow him as he ran. Jeff sprinted behind him, doing as much as he could to catch up, feeling a little mad at himself. He was never really a good runner in school, heck a turtle could probably beat him, but seeing Lean dash like that, he had to make up speed. He finally caught up to Lean when he stopped suddenly. “You’re mad fast!” Jeff breathed, trying to let the air back into his lungs shrivled.
“I dog-chase back at ma’ home... Ya’ know, jump a fence, get chased by some guard dogs, run the heck out, and whoever is slowest... Well ya’ get the picture,” Lean stated, popping his head over an enormous amount of people Jeff hadn’t noticed before, that was gathering around them, and moving up ahead. “Whoa,” Jeff whispered to himself, trying to look further.
About a quarter of a mile from them was a gigantic arena around the size of a concert hall. Drums the size of a bottom part of a computer chair beat throughout the area, making Jeff feel like he was on an old viking ship. Trumpets blared about, filling the air with a mediaeval like mood. After a few minutes a large amount of teenagers packed in front of the stage, millions of gossip and banter rising from all of them.
“What’s going on?” Jeff asked, gazing around.
“Ya’ll see,” Lean returned, looking ahead at the arena. Suddenly, a guy about the age of thirty stepped to the middle of the stage. “Welcome, to Camp Rockie!” he greeted, raising his hands to everyone.
“That’s the camp leader, Kurtis. He’s a real idiot,” Lean stated, nudging Jeff with his elbow.
“I see and remember most of you from last year, and I also see some new faces! I’m sure everyone will welcome you in and have a great time!” Kurtis went on, joyfully.
“What an idiot,” Lean breathed to Jeff. Jeff grinned at Leans funny remark about Camp Rockie's leader.
“I will see all of you later on, but now it is time for everyone to get bunked into their new cabins! Good bye and nice to see you all!” Kurtis hailed as everyone clapped. He walked off the stage and disappeared, five people in Camp Rockie uniforms taking his place. “Hello, we are the Camp Rockie counselors or staff members,” they all said in unison. Whoa.. Creepy... “For anyone that is new here, this is how we will set you into your bunkers,” one of them stated.
“There are five sections of the camp going around the lake, the sections are divided into more sections, then cabins. We have a list of who will be where, once you get designated there is a boat with your assigned number. You'll then take that to your section, then the counselor of that section will tell you where your cabin is. With that we will begin,” another one explained. All five of them took out a clipboard and looked down at it. They started calling names to their designated sections and people began to depart from the stage area to the boats. “Wait... What if we get separated?” Jeff asked, afraid that he will be taken away from his new friend.
“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it,” Lean assured him, giving him a thumbs up. More names were called and more people left. “Gregory Sith, section three,” one of the counselors announced.
“That’s ma’ outside name,” Lean told Jeff. “Sir, I know this new one next ter me, I will be willing ter take him with me,” he declared, nodding toward Jeff. The counselor looked down at his clip board, then at the others, then back down. He turned his head up to Lean and nodded in agreement. Jeff let out a long restrained sigh that he didn’t even know he held. “Alright, come on follow me, and stay close,” Lean commanded to Jeff. Here we go... Jeff and Lean pushed their way through the crowd and outside of the arena. Lean glanced around then point a little toward the northeast part of where they were. He jogged ahead as Jeff followed. They passed by some trees, shurbs and teens who were walking, appearing as if they were on a green mile.
Lean held up a hand for Jeff to stop, and he did, noticing a steep hill they halted on top of. “See them boats over there? We gotta walk ter number three, but be careful where ya’ walk, 'kay?” Lean heeded.
“Okay, let’s go,” Jeff replied, nodding.
Lean grabbed onto a low hanging branch above him and swung to the bottom. Jeff stood there with his mouth dropped, awed at what his friend had just done. How am I supposed to do that?... “Your turn, Jeff,” Lean called from the bottom.
“Here goes nothing,” Jeff whispered to himself. He grasped the branch with two shaking hands, but remained there, starring down. “Hurry up, cockroach!” a familiar voice yelled. Jeff glanced back, seeing Spike and his gang behind him, and not looking to jolly. “Uh, oh,” Jeff uttered, turning his head back down where Lean was. “I think he needs some help, guys,” Spike said. Hey, they’re gonna be nice for once!...
All of a sudden, Jeff felt a massive force push him from the place he was standing, making him let go of the branch and plumate down. “AHHHH!” Jeff screamed, feeling the air wizz by his face, then a solid, dirt surface.
Everything went black for a few moments, then something pulled him so his back was on the ground. “Hey, you 'kay there?” Jeff heard Lean ask, everything still dark. “I’ve been a lot better,” Jeff coughed, then slowly opened his eyes, light pouring into his pupils.
“Ya’ had a mighty fall!” Lean stated, smiling down at him.
“Thank you, Captain Obvious,” Jeff mumbled.
“Looks like Evil Caneville took his last jump,” Spike laughed, hitting the ground on both feet.
“Come on, Spike, he’s a new kid, give him a break!” Lean scolded. Spike rolled his eyes and walked off, his goonies dropping down and following him. “Let’s go,” Lean said, offering a hand to help Jeff. He gladly took it and rose from the ground, pine needles and more sticking to the back of his shirt and bag.
Lean jogged ahead of Jeff again as he trailed behind. They arrived at the boat with a big, red three on the sides of it. “I will be one of the five staff of section number three, state your names,” the staff member demanded as Jeff and Lean strode onto the boat.
“Jeff Patherson an' Lean- I mean Gregory Sith,” Lean replied.
“Understood, take a seat and wait for the boat to move,” the staff told them. Lean advanced to the front of the vessel and sat down on a bench. “So, we aren’t even on the island where the camp is?” Jeff questioned, sitting next to Lean and putting his bag under the bench.
“Well where we were a'fore is just a area where the buses drop us off... And where Kurtis welcomes all us. The real camp is just ahead of us, see?” Lean answered, pointing to this U-shaped island ahead. “The boats go through the middle of that little opening there. Then they drop us off either at five areas of the it. When they assign the cabins, I'll show ya’ a map they have of the camp,” Lean continued.
“How long have you been going here, Lean?” Jeff asked.
“Hm, bout’ three years or so,” Lean replied.
“So, you know a lot about this camp?” Jeff requested.
“Well yes... But, if ya’ really want ter know a lot bout’ Camp Rockie, I suggest ya’ ask Legend or Fidgit... But, I don't think we'll see Fidgit, he don't usually come 'round where we're headin'... Well at least not for a while,” he answered.
“Oh,” Jeff said. He looked around, seeing a lot more people had journeyed onto the boat, then a beep from the back of the craft sounded. “Everyone on boat number three is on, heading out,” the staff member talked into a walkie talkie.
Underneath a motor began, sputtering under Jeff. “Here we go,” Lean whispered. The boat began to move forward, heading for the opening of the island...

The boat rode through the open area of the archipeligo and went past cabins, docks, and other boats. It finally stopped at what seemed like the tip of the island, stopping at a weathered, wooden dock. “Clear out and wait at the gathering place,” the staff member commanded from the back.
“Alright, follow me,” Lean said, getting up from the bench. Jeff nodded and grabbed his bag. Teens started to pour out, but keeping a slow and steady pace. As everyone got off, Lean and Jeff were the last ones.
Lean walked ahead and stopped at a massive fire pit, suitable for about twenty people or so. Jeff glanced back, seeing the counslor whirl his finger around, signaling the boat to go. He leapt from the moving vehicle, landing gracefully on the dock. Whoa... All of a sudden, four more of the staff members came forward from the trees around them. “We will assign the cabins now,” the one from the boat stated.
“Everyone stand in a single file line,” another one said as all of the staff stood in a perfectly, straight row.
Jeff and Lean did what they were told along with the other teens around them. “Listen, and listen good we are going to explain how we are going to do this once. We will assign you to another set of sections called Alpha, Bravo, Delta, Omega, and Zeta. Once you get assigned, the cousnlor who has that section will lead you there, and place you in a cabin,” one of the staff stated. They began to point the teens in the line to their specified section and they stood behind the staff who had that section. “Alpha, Delta, Zeta, Bravo... Alpha, Omega,” the staff droned on. Jeff stepped up next and the staff smirked at him. “Cockroach?” he asked, laughing a little. “I’m with him, sir,” Lean announced behind Jeff.
“Alright, you two are in Zeta,” the staff ordered.
Jeff and Lean went behind the member who had a Z and a symbol on his shirt. The adults went on, calling names and placing people in their designated areas. “How many cabins are at the sections?” Jeff questioned.
“Around three or four cabins. There's bout’ eight ter ten bunks in each cabin,” Lean replied as the staff finished distributing the teens into cabins.
“Alright, staff, lead them and go through all of the rules, when your watches beep it’s time for lunch,” one of the higher-ups instructed.
“Affirmative,” the other four agreed.
The Zeta staff turned to the people behind him, signaling them to follow him. He began to jog at a fast, even pace, making the teens try to catch up as best they could. “Freeze!” the staff yelled, suddenly stopping. Everyone behind jerked to a halt, forcing Jeff to trip over a little. “Line set!” the staff ordered, but no one understood what he meant. “I said, line set!” he demanded, but still no avail. “Are you all a bunch of cockroaches? Line set means to stand in a single file line!” he roared, getting mad at the teens.
“Oh, ok,” they mumbled, lining up the way the staff ordered.
Jeff stood in front of Lean, almost tripping over a person again. Line set? What the heck is this place, boot camp?... “Alright, I’m gonna place you in your cabins now. I’m gonna number you off one, two, three, and four. When you get a number, walk straight ahead to the cabin area of this section. There, the cabins have the number you got painted on the sides of it. Drop your bags and what not in the cabin and then wait by the section’s fire pit when your done,” the staff instructed.
“We won’t get separated right, Lean?” Jeff asked.
“Don’t worry, I’ll tell him ya’ll with me,” Lean replied as the staff began to number people off.
After about fifteen people were numbered off, Jeff was next. “Your in cabin two,” the staff told him.
“I’m with him, sir. He’s a cockroach,” Lean said behind Jeff. Jeff darted an annoyed glance as Lean shrugged. The counsler made an odd face while deciding. “Fine, both of you go to number two,” the staff finally said.
“Let’s go,” Lean insisted, jogging ahead of Jeff. They ambled past trees, roots, and brush, following a trail that people made when they had walked through the place over and over. “Here we are, home sweet home,” Lean beamed, raising his arms to the cabins that were set in front of them.
The four cottages were set in a square shape, in the middle was a fire pit a tiny bit smaller than the one Jeff saw earlier. “Come on,” Lean invited, sauntering to the number two cabin. Jeff walked after him, going up the three steps in front of the green, wooden screen door. Lean turned the black, plastic knob and pushed the door open. He went in the small wooden cottage, Jeff trailing right behind him. Whoa... Drop boot camp, it’s total wilderness... Inside the cabin was hard timber floors, walls, and two medium sized windows on the sides. There were four bunk beds lining each side of the cabins walls and one twin sized bed in the back. To the right there was a small ice box for waters and soda. It was dank and dark, the only light that shed was from the sun through the window, although Jeff could see some lanterns hanging off the roof of the bottom bunks. The whole room was a total farcry from civilazation. “Well, well, well, look who we got here, guys! It’s the cockroach!” Jeff heard from the shadows of one of the bottom bunks.
Just then, Spike and his toadies came from two bunks, their bodies silhouetted in the darkness. “Sorry, cockroach, but we don’t have tea parties here. Go back home to your mama!” Crow mocked, making the rest of them snicker.
“Alright, ya’ guys, give him a break!” Lean scolded.
“Oh, don’t worry we’ll give him a break,” Pit remakred, smacking his fist into his hand. Oh, jeez... “Leave the kid alone,” a deep, booming voice commanded in the somber back.
“Who said that?” cried Spitfire, turning around.
“Me,” the voice replied, as a tall, muscled teen came forth, revealing himself from the shadows.
“Legend,” the gang of four chanted in unison.
Legend approached them intimidatingly, making all of them fly out of the cabin, slamming the door shut. “Legend, I thought ya’ was in a different section,” Lean said, smiling that his massive friend was there.
“This time they placed me in this section, but all there is, is city slickers in here though. Well 'cept you, Lean. You’re a country hick, even more than I,” Legend chuckled, but stopped after a second.
“Yeah, that’s me, sir! Once in the country, always in the country!” Lean laughed.
“Well, I’m out, see you two later. And, Jeff... Don't mess with anyone. Got that?” Legend advised and saluted, leaving the cabin.
“What'd he mean by that?” Jeff inqured, ambling over, to an open bunk. “ Well, if ya’ screw round’ with anyone, they'll make ya’ feel like ya’ never wanted ter step foot on this here camp,” Lean answered, hopping up the ladder to the top bunk Jeff had picked.
“How?” Jeff questioned, but he might already know why.
“Well they beat ya’ up, call ya’ names, and much, much, more,” Lean replied, pulling out items from his black backpack.
“The leader never sees this happen?” Jeff asked.
“Ha, the leader never even comes ter the camp! He stays in his little pent house like five miles from here. He assumes everythin' is fine and when someone tries ter tell him somethin' happened, he says that they're lyin' and that the camp is great. Safe ter say, he’s a prick,” Lean disgustingly responded.
“Then if people try to tell something bad happened and he doesn’t listen, why do people come back here?” Jeff quizzed, very puzzled.
“Well, some of us have trouble at home and need ter get away... Some of us just hate the outside world, like Spike and his toadies... Some of us just come here cause’ they haven’t been here 'fore, like ya’ll... And some of us come here cause’ we're either forced or ter pass on stories of pride and mightiness... Like Legend,” Lean told him.
“Oh... So, why did you come here, Lean?” Jeff questioned.
“I came here, cause’ I wanted ter help new kids, and try ter serve Legend... So far ma’ wishes had been fulfilled,” Lean replied, jumping down from the top bunk. “But, we gotta get outside, the staff might get mad at us,” Lean said, walking to the front door, Jeff following behind. He opened the door, light casting into the cabin as they strode out into the wilderness..

Detail Atun Hut!

How are you're feet?
TOGETHER!
Stomach?
IN!
Chin?
UP!
Shoulders?
BACK!
Elbows?
FROZEN!
Eyes?