Print 

Author Topic: Dynamic Disks under XP PRO  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Đstroyr

• Senior Poster
  • Ðeath before Ðishonor !
Dynamic Disks under XP PRO
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »
For all the Uber / Leet PC techie guys out there I have a question. This is for the professionals in the clan guys so lets keep it narrow in focus for responses please...

I have been reading about converting an HD to a Dynamic Disk. Yes I have XP PRO & a 320 GIG (Not MEG Nrv) Hard Drive. I want to know the ins/ outs, good/ bads, etc. for doing this. Let me know what you think and will it benefit a gaming rig ????Hmmmmmm

Ð

^^^ SIG made by his awesomeness BFM_Slayton ^^^

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Dynamic Disks under XP PRO
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

Pros:

- "infinite space" - you can add and add and add more drives onto a single Dynamic disk until the cows all DIE! (I.e. You can "add" onto a single disk-spanning partition, or add more partitions, etc.)

- It's the ONLY WAY to mix SATA and PATA drives into an "array."

- You can swap in/out (hot? I've never tried it actually!?) drives essentially adding in/out "more disk" w/o doing the HDD/partition dance."

- They can be RAID-enabled.

Cons:

- If one disk drive dies, you're screwed, completely! (Essentially IRRECOVERABLE, unless you RAID mirrored....)

- Dynamic "disks" are NOT compatible with ANY OTHER FORMAT, so you can't physically move any partitian of a Dynamic disk anywhere else, other than where it lives.

- You can make a partition large enough that some SW won't handle it correctly!

- Um, unless you have ANOTHER DD array around, backups are IMPOSSIBLE! (Okay, not literally, but they're just darned useless!)

Summary: In the end, I'd suggest that you use DDs ONLY for "transient data" or temporary storage.

E.g. I have a DD (w/o any RAID) across two *REMOVABLE* 320GB SATA HDDs onto which my recorded TeeVee shows go....

I can record virtually non-stop, but if a/the drive dies, the worst thing I've done is lost some shows that I probably wouldn't have watched anyway!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print