Print 

Author Topic: OH NOES! The Halo Gamespy Lobby is DOWN/GONE!?!  (Read 8044 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
OH NOES! The Halo Gamespy Lobby is DOWN/GONE!?!
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »

(Created this so I no longer have to post this in every thread someone creates every time the GameSpy Halo Lobby is down!  ::) )

NOTICE: The Halo GameSpy Lobby is UNRELIABLE and may be inactive - or even GONE! - at ANY TIME.

GameSpy's agreement with Microsoft (the owner of the game, NOT Bungie!) was up over a year ago and has been running without attention or maintenance for some time.  It only remains up as long as some nice soul there decides to leave it up!

P.S. ...And Micro$oft has no interest in keeping the Halo PC stuff up,
since they'd rather you used their proprietary Live! system(s)!....
  :bang:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:51:16 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
Re: OH NOES! The Halo Gamespy Lobby is DOWN/GONE!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 01:47:56 AM »
So my question is will the affect us joining via IP/Xfire, or does it only affect the ingame lobby.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 01:55:26 AM »

I should think it would only affect the in-game lobby since the servers are paid for by a separate group. The GameSpy Lobby gets all the servers in one, easy-to-search location. It's when the server providers stop offering Halo servers that things will really die. Most people won't run a server in their home probably.

Of course, I may be wrong here. :P

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »
So my question is will the affect us joining via IP/Xfire, or does it only affect the ingame lobby.

No, it will not affect joining a server via other means.

Ya, it's not clear how long "commercially-supported, non-individual" servers will continue to exist, but there's nothing going on today that I've heard of to stop supplying/supporting them....

...Except from Micro$oft, due to the Xbox Live stuff....

(Interesting that the biggest competition for players in "publicly-accessible" servers is ... from the game's originator itself....   ::)  )

*UPDATE* 2011-04-21: There is an Open Source effort to make a replacement for the GameSpy Lobby that is currently in testing.

*UPDATE-UPDATE* 2012-07-26: >Sigh< The open source effort to create a generic on-line gaming "lobby" turned into a "tools" effort instead of an actual application. I.e. They've produced a common set of program tools for finding and tracking servers and players, but you have to be a software programmer to make use of the tools.  :doh:

I will not be making any recommendations for any programs that result from this effort. Sorry.  ::)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:37:11 AM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:43 PM »
In light of Glu's acqusition of Gamespy and their policy towards multiplayer servers, I would like to propose a plan in the event the lobby is gone tomorrow. While this would take time and effort from many, I propose website be constructed using server monitoring software already in place to act as a go-between of sorts. My proposition would include any and all dedicated servers and list them categorically by gametype. It would be akin to skorcard, in a sense, in it's ability to monitor multpile servers at a time. I suggest that it simply be a list however as adding forums to it could create a number of issues. I am not asking anyone to do such  thing, be it a clan or an individual. I am simply throwing an idea out there. Comments, suggestions? Let's see what we can do before Glu has a chance to catch us unprepared.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:52 AM »

Actually... think about what's going on here for a moment: It's not just that we won't be able to find available servers when it goes down, it's the larger problem that no one's even mentioned here:

THERE WILL BE NO SERVER TO AUTHENTICATE HASH KEYS EITHER

This means THAT NO ONE WILL BE ABLE TO EVEN START AN INTERNET/MULTIPLAYER GAME

As I see it, there are three possible outcomes:

1) It all goes into the trash can and multi-player Internet Halo (Combat Evolved) play goes bye bye.

2) They realize that there is no longer any need to authenticate users of an ancient game and disable authentication completely, allowing anyone to play the game freely. (And there is no centralized means to find servers through a lobby sanctioned by MS....)

3) They keep it all running (such as it is) and #1 or #2 are postponed a bit longer.

My money's on #3....

Print