Print 

Author Topic: “Gathering exception data”  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
“Gathering exception data”
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
Sometimes while playing either of the Halo's, a little screen will pop us saying "gathering exception data." What does this mean and how can I stop it?

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
Re: “Gathering exception data”
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »
welcome to halo live home of the worlds biggest lag the EXCEPTION!

The exception is known throught halo online as the killer lag. it usaly happends if the host is cheating and forgets to shut his aim bot or dev off (fyi dev isnt cheating its deving lol)

but can be caused by a lot of graphics such as explosions. to many ppl close together. and my favorite server shuting down while somthing special hapend like: voice talking like the guy who says Slayer and blue team flag returned.

there is no awy of fixing this. only bungie could if they *cough make an update *cough*

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »
Sometimes while playing either of the Halo's, a little screen will pop us saying "gathering exception data." What does this mean and how can I stop it?

Actually, that means you've likely got one (OR MORE!) of the following problems, in order from MOST-to-least likely:

0) Bad/old/outdated drivers, most likely video or audio,

1) Corrupt Halo install,

2) Dirty computer/bad airflow causing overheating,

3) Memory that's going bad,

4) Graphics device or CPU overheating or dying.

I cannot diagnose these over chat, so you'll have to look in to each and narrow it down yourself....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »
 mxy you always got the better solution don't you? lol

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 10:12:13 PM »
For a while, I would get that message when I used SightJacker too much.  That problem seems to have gone away.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:36:45 AM »
you could check on your halo case (or online) for the system reqs and then look on your system and see if they are good enough.. you might also want to reinstall the game.

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »
Basically, when you see a program (like Halo) say something about an "exception"...something broke.

The most common problems (the driver thing is usually only common in games) have been mentioned by Mxy. (as usual)
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline xsix

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 05:29:51 AM »
Or, if you're into modding, you could have changed something that Halo doesn't like and whenever you go to use that it, gets the "Gathering Exception Data" message. If its that, I suggest you delete all your maps, and assuming you have backups replace em'

Offline Soul

• Senior Poster
  • Be back in 5 minutes, If I'm not, read this again.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 05:30:26 PM »
I would just do a total re-install or do what BFM_Xsix said. Most likely the problem, I had it before.

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
The only maps I've downloaded were the ones in the CE map pack.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline Soul

• Senior Poster
  • Be back in 5 minutes, If I'm not, read this again.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
Try doing a repair or just uninstall Halo then reinstall. If you do a repair, tell it to replace all the files (you are going to have to update the game again) and see what happens.

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 02:54:52 AM »
The only maps I've downloaded were the ones in the CE map pack.
I was just going to mention that this was an old error during the earlier craze of downloading maps for Halo CE.  One thing this error used to be from is TOO MANY map files in the /Maps folder or too many unpacked maps PLUS the original ZIPd/RARd file being placed inside the /Maps folder when that shouldn't be done at all.  Also occasionally CE maps installs may also corrupt a Halo PC map depending  on who packed the map and where it was downloaded from.

The other major error for this was actually a Halo error that created conflicts with certain graphics card drivers.  I used to get it all of the time.  :(
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Print