Print 

Author Topic: Assassin's Creed: The Good, the Bad, and the Bloody.  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
Assassin's Creed: The Good, the Bad, and the Bloody.
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »
As promised the review of Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft Montreal, and as always I'll list what they did good, what's bad, and the ugly reasons why it earned the rating it has.

First off, a little back story. You are Altair Ibn Al-Ahad (pronounced Alt-taa-ir, means the swift one, son of no one) a member of the clan of Hashshashin (literally means hashish user), the originator of the term "Assassin". After failing to secure a value treasure from Robert De Sable, Grand Master of the Templars, and unintentionally leading a templar army to the gate of the Assassin's fortress you are demoted to the rank of initiate and are stripped of all your weapons and skills. Now you must start as a learner again to track nine targets to regain your honor; learn where they will be, devise a plan to publicly assassinate them, and make your escape alive.However these targets quickly reveal themselves to be much more than they seem to be, leading to a conspiracy whose paths lead back to the heart of the Templars themselves.

THE GOOD

Ok, while I'd normally just make the comment about all next gen games looking beautiful and move on about it I must make an exception here because the graphics in this are mind blowing. Say for a moment you climb to the top of a large tower and get a panoramic view on an area you are in, a rather common thing to do in many games. However the exception is here that everything you see you can go to, from the smallest house to places that seem miles away. It's all rendered real time without any static background renders. People move in the streets and carry on their daily business, flag flutter in the breeze, sand and dust blows in the winds. It's the kind of fully realized world that many have tried to make but only few have succeeded at.

Gameplay itself is 'Grand Theft Crusader' crossed with 'Medieval Gear Solid', but so much more also. Let me explain. You have absolute free roaming of your environments which includes walking in crowds to scaling buildings and taking to the roof tops. You can steal horses, take on side missions like saving civilians from harassment from guards, hunt down and kill Templars, pickpocket, ect. However you don't have free reign on the land as suspicious activity will attract the attention of city guards and crusaders who will then attempt to take you down. You can choose to fight them, or make a run for it to break their line of sight and blend in with the crowd, scholars, or hide. Actions like shoving people out of your way, knocking over merchant stands, or causing problems in the crowds will actually make them turn against you as well, so one must learn to hide in plain sight and not stand out in order to get close to your targets.

As mentioned before you can climb just about anything, so long as you can find hand grips, i.e. windows, mouldings, beams, ledges, ect. Added to this is a free running ability where small obstacles like boxes, roof top leaps, cross beams, ect will not slow you down and in many cases aid you in fleeing after a hit. The animations are smooth, natural, and out right cool sometimes. Much of the style was derived Parkour, a form of free-running, giving Altair's style an almost artistic look to it.

The attention to historical detail is particularly amazing. From people's clothing, the cities, the weapons, and even the characters. For example all of your targets are people who all lived and died/disappeared in 1191 in the Holy Lands. Whether they were assassinated or not is another matter all together, but the fact that Ubisoft spent months working with historians to get everything right says a lot to me about how dedicated they were about this game.

Voice acting is also top notch in this, coming off as both natural, and very chilling for some of the villians that you encounters in your travels. While there aren't any big name actors in this, those they do have are far better at voice work than any Hollywood actor.

THE BAD

Mostly it's just the camera, when you lock onto a target it makes it difficult sometimes to see people who are about to bump into you and give you away. Also, the combat system while not bad, isn't the strongest one I've seen. When fighting with swords you don't just whack away at the person to wear down his life, instead you need to time your strikes to overwelm him and finish him off before one of the other enemies tries to stab you from behind. Lastly, some of the side missions can become a bit repetative once you get to your 9th and final(?) target, however they are still pretty fun to do.

Sadly, the save system leaves quite a bit to be desired as you cannot actively choose when to save. Instead you must complete one of the small objectives (collect a flag, get a viewpoint, pickpocket, ect) and the game will autosave. Well, it does beat the pay to save system in Maximo: Ghost to Glory.

THE UGLY

Well, where to begin? The grusomeness of the assassination kills, the bloodiness of combat, the religious and political undertones about the crusades. Tough call. Needless to say this is a game that requires parental disgression before purchasing. I'd recommend our good old friend Youtube to get an idea about it before buying for someone under 17.

CONCLUSION

Like Mass Effect this is a must buy for your next-gen systems. It shows what the hardware can do, and the ever increasing depth of storyline that is being produced. In a word: Amazing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:30:40 AM by BFM_Gryphon »

Offline Rázgrìz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
Re: Assassin's Creed: The Good, the Bad, and the Bloody.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »
sounds fun

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:48:23 AM »
It is, though it's also a test of nerves.

My signifigant other was watching me play to take out a Knight Hospitalier last night. Basically I was blended with some scholars as we walked around the building he was in. She kept saying I should break cover and get him as the scholar pack approached him, but I held fast. When we were close enough to probably smell the blood on him I popped out quickly and ended the cruel fellow. Then ran like a jackal chased by hounds as the alarm was raised.

Getting away was easy, holding until the last possible second was tricky.

Offline Rázgrìz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:02:37 AM »
lol

Offline Defender

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »
Great game in my opinion.  Plays like a cross between the grizzly, hands-on, stealthy-or-straightforward-as-you-want fun of Hitman combined with the climbing, platforming, and visual excellence of Prince of Persia.  The quests for gaining information on your targets do tend to be repetetive as you progress because they're all basically the same, but the game is so story-driven and well-fleshed-out that I didn't really mind.  The other achievements like flag-collecting and Templar knight killing were just plain ridiculous since there are SO many to get, and it doesn't give you any extra story if you collect them all, just a handful of achievement points.  They are useful as quick save spots though since they're all over the place, so if you're not trying for the achievements they do come in a little handy.  The two main attractive gameplay points for me are the platforming and the way the game accomodates different play styles.  Almost everything is climbable and it's like a little adventure every time you try to reach the top of a building, whether you just enjoy the huge, real-time views or you're trying to make it up in time before a rooftop guard can spot you and hammer you with arrows.  And if the guard gives chase?  Sprint across rooftops or down an alleyway, maybe swing through a vendor's stand (enough of them nets you an achievement, too), leap up some boxes and up over a wall a-la Jackie Chan, round a corner then dive into a hiding spot until the heat dies down.  As for accomodating various types of gameplay, say you need to get through a guarded gate.  Would you like to blend in with a group of scholars and breeze right through the unaware guards?  Or fight em all and hope to find a hiding spot somewhere inside before more guards come?  Or maybe use some nearby scaffolding and a few exposed beams to climb around, circumventing the gate altogether?  All of that and usually more is available for any scenario.  A definite buy for gamers.

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »
I've actually been finding that the easiest way to deal with the timed assassinations for the informers is to stick to the roofs and nail them at long range with knives.

Personally, I hate having to do timed anything because then it limited what I can come up with and how much I can do, but game designers like putting deadlines on us.

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 03:15:43 PM »
I was thinking about getting this game for Nintendo DS. Do you think it would be worth it, or not? I assume the graphics Won't be as good, but do you think it might still be good?

Feijoa Freddd

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »
would be better on a next-gen system, IMHO.

Offline Nike

• Regular Poster
  • I've lost my crazy ç!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:13:47 AM »
Your right,it does present better on a next-gen console but i couldn't possibly be worse the the mobile version.......
Also there making a film about it and it's part of a trilogy :winkgrin:
~Niçk     -Nike (in game)
Thanks so much for the Aussie-Orientated sig Renegade!

Thanks for the 3v3 sig Lucky!

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »
from what I've read, the DS version is supporsed to be a prequel to the Next gen system games. Other than that I'm clueless on it.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
I played quite a bit of it but got a little bored at the repetitiveness. And somehow, I got the Blade in the Crowd achievement when I was chasing down my target and then stopped running immediately and assassinated him. Although I did it perfectly when I was assassinating the guy who was doing the executions. I enjoy assassinating guards as they walk by, though. It puts a smile on my face.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 06:53:48 AM »
as edison said i also found the game repetitive i got tierd of doing the same thing over and over and have only had it in my 360 1 time since i got it for xmiss maby ill pick it up and try to play it sometime and those guards need to stay away :toughguy:

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 04:20:35 PM »
Based on the description of the game provided by early reviews, I thought this game was going to involve more planning and stealth.  Once I got into it, I realized that the main intent is just to slash your way through.  There seemed to be no number of guards I couldn't take on at one time.  So fighting, assassinating, and wall-climbing seemed to be the strengths of the game that I enjoyed.

The things I didn't like at all was the paultry number of voice recordings, the repetitive tasks before each assassination, and the huge numbers of flags sneezed out onto the world map for no particular reason.  How hard could it be to have the actors record a bunch more sound-bites for each task?  Compare the fun of finding the few skulls in Halo 3 to turn on challenging or fun effects (who doesn't love to watch grunts' heads explodes into confetti upon a head shot) to the never-ending task of finding flags in AC.  It is hard to imagine spending the time to find all flags when I could just go on to the next game...

Anyway, AC had its moments.  i'd give it a 6 out of 10.

-KJM5 aka "jam"

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »
With few exception I found that the assassinations themselves did require quite a bit of planning. With the exception of the one with the fake Robert De Sable I did all of them as a 'blade in the crowd' as I watched my targets and found the stealthiest method to approach, sneak past their guards, get behind them, then silence them.

The funnest one was probably the Teutonic leader on the ship, ran across the mooring pillars in the docks and clung to the side of the ship as he walked around. As he went to the stern to shout and fire off arrows, I climbed up, stabbed him and made my escape without a soul seeing me. Oddly though the alarm still goes off.

Personally, I just wish you could swim in it, would add a whole new level of challenge and escape options.

Print