Print 

Author Topic: Has anyone running Mac OSX Catalina successfully installed Halo CE on it?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
I'm in-progress on trying to get Halo running on my latest Mac. I've ordered a copy of the game from eBay, and while it's en route I've tried installing a downloaded version (since I figure I can wait to enter the license key when the newly-bought copy arrives). But I'm running into a problem: Downloaded copies of the Halo Mac universal binary install fine, but then I'm prompted to run the Halo Universal 2.04 Updater, which complains that I'm running a 64-bit OS (Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina), and since the updater is 32-bit it won't run.

Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed? Possibilities I can think of:

* maybe there's a 64-bit updater somewhere (seems unlikely)
* I could downgrade my OS on my main or a different machine to OSX 10.14 Mojave and install there
* I could install a separate OSX 10.14 Mojave install on my Mac on a separate APFS volume as described here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891, then install and run Halo on that volume. <<< thinking this is my best option
* I could get a Windows machine and install on that.

Anyone who's dealt with this have any feedback? Thanks!

Donut

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
Hey Donut,
Great to see you again.  It’s been nine years since I last raced with the clan.

It looks like you covered the bases of current options for running Halo CE.  OSX 10.15 (Catalina) no longer supports 32 bit applications and games (i.e., Halo). 

I’m shopping for a Mac, so I can get back to racing with BFM.  If I end up getting a new Mac, downloading an older OSX (10.14) and installing it on a separate, Halo dedicated, APFS volume seems the way to go.  Otherwise, I’m looking to buy a used recent Mac, with an older system.  Looking for a 27” iMac.

Also on the shopping/download list are:
- ControllerMate - for running the macros
- BlackFire - xfire client for the Mac.  (Per Crimson) :embarrassed:
- Discord for the Mac - for game chat

Good luck with your setup.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:34:56 PM by BFM_ImaybeU »

^^Thanks Warlord for the great sig!

Offline BFM_Crimson

• BFM Admin
    • I'm copying JANE...
Hi Maybe,

Sorry if this comes as a shock, but xfire hasn't been a thing for about 6 years  :shobon:

One less thing for your shopping list  :winkgrin:

.       Thanks JANE, LËÕ, Lucky, MiG and Tails for rendering signature services!

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
Hi Maybe,

Sorry if this comes as a shock, but xfire hasn't been a thing for about 6 years  :shobon:

One less thing for your shopping list  :winkgrin:

:doh:   :zoid:

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
I went to watch some YouTube videos of BFM racing in the past, and it was pretty wild how quickly it all came back. I was subconsciously trying to drive by moving my mouse & getting frustrated when my hog flipped.

Also, I'd blocked out how bonkers the whole endless war was (is?) between people wanting to play slayer or camp or whatever and the admins tirelessly holding the line. I wanted to tell people why they were wrong then realized I was trying to comment on a video posted a decade ago, where the OP probably has a spouse and a mortgage and is more worried about helping their kids with their homework than whatever I wanted to tell them. :-)

Donut

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
I'm in! :-)

So, I'm running Halo on my Mac now. And boy does it feel great to take a hog on a spin around a map again.

Hope to see some of you in-world soon.

Donut

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
I'm in! :-)

So, I'm running Halo on my Mac now. And boy does it feel great to take a hog on a spin around a map again.

Hope to see some of you in-world soon.

Donut

So, which method did you use to get on?  Using Mac with an older OSX or making a partition to load an older system?

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
I made a separate disk partition on my mac, made a separate "Mojave" (downgraded) OS install disk on a USB thumb drive, rebooted to that install disk, and installed Mojave on my new partition. Once that finished I was able to install Halo for Mac and the two upgrades it needed in that partition, and now I just need to reboot into it when I want to play.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/ explains the process I followed to get the second partition running Mojave.

http://macgamingmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=18764&start=45#p221818 had what I needed to get the latest Mac-specific patches so I could see servers in the Lobby in Halo.

[Edited to fix the second link]

Donut
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:40:33 PM by BFM_Donut »

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
Thanks for the good info for future reference.   It will come in handy.

Print