Print 

Author Topic: Setting up 2 Routers  (Read 1871 times)

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
Setting up 2 Routers
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
Hey guys,

I need some help on setting up two routers in my house and using one of them as an access point (To boost the original signal). My house is quite big and as my first router is placed at a far end of my house (not in the middle), my own room gets very little to no signal.

I went out and bought a second router, thinking I could do it myself - It still doesn't work properly. There was a setting on the router that said, "use as access point" and that is activated, however it is still its own network.

I was wondering if anyone has done this successfully before? I don't want to have to re-connect to a network when I move further away from one router but closer to the other.

By the way, both routers are currently connected by an Ethernet cable and are both 'Belkin' routers.

If you need any other information, such as the models then please tell me and ill get them for you. Thanks in advance

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Setting up 2 Routers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:30:47 PM »

(FYI: I've had the same configuration - with Belkin routers - up and running for 5 years now....)

[If you're doing this IN ADDITION to a pre-existing router (wireless or not!) let me know, as these instructions will change....]

First, turn the "far" one OFF and disconnect it.  Then set up the ONE that is actually connected to your network as a router, and configure it and check that it's working to do everything that you want.  (You might want to append "_01" to it's "Host name" for ease-of-use tho.)

Now, connect the second router-soon-to-be-Access-Point to the SAME NETWORK - NOT to the other router! - log into the 2nd one and set it up. (I suggest you give it the same name, but change the "_01" to ... yes, you guessed it!: "_02"!  ;D )

Then go into "Use as Access Point" and set it up by 1) Enabling, 2) giving it a FIXED IP ADDRESS on your main network, and 3) setting its subnet mask (usu 255.255.255.0)

Now click on "Apply Changes" and VOILA!  You can now walk around a HUGE area and your WAPs will switch over as you move from one to another! (And NO "roaming" charges!  :LOL: )

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:52:51 AM »
:bump:

Thanks Mxy. Still having a few issues atm though... I have a couple of questions...

What do you mean by "FIXED IP ADDRESS"? - It is currently set to 192.168.2.1, the same as the first router.

Also - When I turn both routers on, both the networks still appear when I search.

Offline BFM_RedFox

• Senior Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:03:40 AM »

What do you mean by "FIXED IP ADDRESS"? - It is currently set to 192.168.2.1, the same as the first router.

It cannot work if two devices got the same IP address. You have to look into your second router for the MAC address. Then go to the first router and assign an IP address to this MAC address (e.g. 192.168.2.2). You find this assign settings under DHCP. Finally in the second router again you have to disable its DHCP server function and enable the DHCP client function so that it accepts the IP from your first router.

Hope that helps.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
The IP address of your primary (1st) router will be the factory default - which in your case looks like its 198.162.2.1 .
Your second "router-to-be-AP" might alsp have that same default IP address, which is "no joy" - that won't work - but you need to have it as an IP address ON THAT SAME (192.168.2.xxx) network, just different IP address - that doesn't infringe upon the router's DHCP address space, either. (FYI: The latter is typically 192.168.2.100-200 or some such....)

So first off, if that's all you needed to know, then the answer is "use the FIXED IP ADDRESS of 192.168.2.2 ."

If that's all the you needed, stop reading and skip the rest!

Otherwise do it this way:

0) Assure that your existing router is working fine as-is, then TURN IT OFF.

1) Connect the NEW router-to-be-AP to your network and then connect to IT using the same IP address (for now) - 192.168.2.1 .

2) Once connected to it via your browser, navigate to it's main settings page and change its ("fixed" or "static") IP address to 192.168,2,2 .

3) Save settings, restart THAT (2nd) device, and see if you can now connect to it via 192.168.2.2.

If so, go into its settings and set it to be an "Access Point," save the settings, and restart your "is-now-an-AP" device.

4) Connect to it again (once restarted) at 192.168.2.2 and see that the settings took.

5) Restart you original (1st, now ONLY) router device.

All should work fine now.  If not, power-cycle the AP and try again. (FYI: The ROUTER MUST always be powered up and be running before the AP device.  Sometimes it works out when not done in order, but not always....)

GL!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 02:44:02 PM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
1 More question lol.

How should the second router be connected? Through the first router, or through the modem (like the first router)?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
1 More question lol.

How should the second router be connected? Through the first router, or through the modem (like the first router)?

It plugs in just as if it were another networked computer: I.e. Connect it to the (original) router.

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Okay - But on the second router, should the ethernet be plugged into the Modem bit or one of the other 4 sections? If that makes sense :P

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 01:00:29 PM »

Your "original" router devices stays as-is, and is the only thing that you plug into your modem's ethernet ports.

Your "new" AP device plugs into your router just as if it were another computer on your network.

...If that makes any sense!  ::)  :winkgrin:

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:11:03 AM »

Thanks!! It is working a treat! :)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »

No prob'!

FYI: You can do some interesting things with such a setup.  For instance, I have mine on a "DMZ" network outside my home network, and it's wide open.  That means that people can stop by and hookup to my Internet (on the porch outside my office doors) without any configuration hassles! (Without being able to access my private, home network, you see....)  I even dropped a network printer on to the "DMZ" network, too!

It's great for when friends, clients, or relatives come to visit!

Print