Print 

Author Topic: Resizing images without losing quality  (Read 2476 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Resizing images without losing quality
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
Got a few rather large images I'd like to condense down to fit on A3 possibly even a4 size but I'm not having much look with the resizing side of things in Microsoft Paint. Images becoming extremely pixelated.

Anyone know what the best way actually is to down-size images without losing picture quality?

Offline BFM_Ðragons

• BFM Admin
Re: Resizing images without losing quality
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Theres loads of different websites you can use to resize images without loosing alot of the quality of the original photo.

it is alot better than using paint... you can use Adobe photoshop to resize images aswell but the easiest way is definitely various websites

hope it helps buddy :)

Thanks to  bfm_Dusaro For The Sig!

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »

If it's only a few images and you don't have $800 to spare for Photoshop, you could probably find someone who already has it and see if they'll scale them down for you.

If you'd rather do it yourself, GIMP is free and is pretty good, but all the functions can be a bit overwhelming if you're not used to using something like it.

Paint.NET is also free and does a decent job, and is easier to use too.

IrfanView is a very basic image editor and does all right. I think you said somewhere that you have it already.

All three will scale stuff down and have a way to "sharpen" an image if things get a little blurry, which depends on how much you're shrinking the image. GIMP and Paint.NET have a way to choose how much you want to sharpen the image, IrfanView does not -- you press "sharpen" it does it how it wants, no options.

And all are infinitely better than MS Paint. I tried taking a large image (2560x1440) and scaling it down to something manageable (800x450) and without sharpening it after, I think GIMP did the better job, Paint.NET second, and IrfanView third (it was clearly blurry). For all three, their own sharpen option cleared them up really well.

If you care, here is the huge original, here is GIMP's, here is Paint.NET's, and here is IrfanView's, all before being sharpened. If you open all the scaled one in separate tabs, you can flip between them and see the difference. Like I said, using "sharpen" fixed them all pretty well. Even without sharpening, there's not much of a difference.

I could do it for you if you want, using one of the three program listed.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »

+1 GIMP  :thumbsup:
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 12:56:18 AM »
Irfanview is a good choice - save as JPG and change the quality setting to suit.

If you want an integrated windows shell utility, try this: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:24:39 AM »
... (it was clearly blurry).

In case anyone missed it.

Check giveawayoftheday.com every once in a while, they give away image batch resizer software sometimes, among other things (but not today). Obviously that would be more for future resizing projects...

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:20 AM »
I check giveawayoftheday all the time.  Some really good stuff occasionally.  But mostly stuff like "Fred's Backup Genie" or something, like I'm going to trust Fred, or his genie, to backup my computer.  Pfffft.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:34:55 PM »
Cheers guys. Completely forgot about gimp! Used to have it many moons ago

Think i've got Irfanview at work too.

Ill get on em (aaaand move this thread to the correct spot).

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 08:00:08 AM »
I use Paint.NET for all of my photography resizing and mild editing... Paint.NET's compression on jpeg's is unrivaled.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Print