Print 

Author Topic: Just some clouds...  (Read 3307 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Just some clouds...
« on: September 17, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
Re: Just some clouds...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 05:40:45 PM »
Wow,

Those are amazing. Nice find!

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 05:41:10 PM »
That's cool!

I like the one that looks like a Nuclear Bomb Explosion.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
  • I'm in your base, killing your mans.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 09:33:46 PM »
WOW! My brother wants me to make a sig from a couple of those for him XD (different forum =\).

Nice find!

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 03:47:26 AM »
I agree, I like the nuclear explosion cloud that I'm assuming was not formed by a Nuclear explosion. Good find Railziel :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MoTTiN

• Regular Poster
  • My blood is Green/Yellow/Blue!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 11:18:58 AM »
i have to say that this is AMASING
i am very passionate about the sky and all those clouds are amazing!

nice finding!
"for i AM Brazilian, and i Never give up!"

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:12:19 PM »
Wow, those are some pretty amazing pictures! I love taking pictures of clouds, they are always really interesting.

Personally, my favorite was the one with the full moon in it.

Feijoa Freddd

Offline Sarge the Heavy

• Junior Poster
  • Lets GOooo
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 03:58:27 PM »
It looks like an explosion! :rockstar: :woot: :woot: :taco:

thanks for the sig Tanxs1

thanks plix

thanks batman

Offline WaTy™

• Posts Too Much
  • WaT-WaT-WaT, WaTy
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:20 PM »
WOW AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice find!  d_b

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »
3179 was taken from a plane and would have been a very very bumpy ride going through them. 3153 is not really clouds, but "up-slope fog" which is one of the few obscuration weather phenomena requiring wind to keep it present (usually wind removes obscurations - clouds, fire smoke, haze). 3140, 3051 are lenticular clouds typically seen only over mountains and is suggestive of severe turbulence an winds in excess of 50knot which is excessive at that altitude. 3109 is going to be a really ugly storm and 3128 is just cool. I saved some as desktops.

Offline Wolf

• Senior Poster
  • Woof!
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 09:43:23 PM »
3182 - One bad cumulonimbus anvil! If I saw one of those heading for the base Back when I was in the Air Force I would have issued a Severe Thunderstorm Warning STAT! That beast likely had 40KT winds and 1 inch hail at the least.

3181 - "hat" feature is indicative of either an incredibly strong updraft or very strong winds in the upper levels of the atmosphere. Likely an unstable environment ideal for T-Storms

3183 and 3186 - altocumulus standing lenticular clouds. Actually it is not only indicative of severe turbulence, but also of the category EXTREME turbulence. That is the highest and most dangerous level of turbulence where control of the aircraft is all but lost.

2050 - Another sign of turbulence. These "cap clouds" are caused by strong winds hitting perpendicular to the mountain. The winds rapidly flow up over it and then back down. This causes the up and down motion to continue for sometimes hundreds of miles downstream. altocumulus standing lenticular is frequently associated with this phenomena.

2119 - Avoid at all costs! Roll clouds occur frequently with lenticulars, normally below them. These clouds are formed by strong winds literally flowing in a circle so tightly that you could almost call it a sideways tornado in midair. Extreme turbulence and sure death to any pilots!

Ah yes... the weather geek in me loved some of that. Former U.S. Air Force Meteorologist Craftsman is what I am. Anyone with any particular weather questions I would be more than happy to answer for you.  :winkgrin:

NightWolf
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul. Hope you like what you see....."

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 08:45:38 AM »

2119 - Avoid at all costs! Roll clouds occur frequently with lenticulars, normally below them. These clouds are formed by strong winds literally flowing in a circle so tightly that you could almost call it a sideways tornado in midair. Extreme turbulence and sure death to any pilots!

NightWolf

Good to know, would not have recognized that one. I only fly the little stuff though so I imagine the weather/turbulence within miles of that would be bad enough to keep me away.

BFM_Warlord

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 10:56:51 AM »
Awesome

Print