Print 

Author Topic: Reinstalled stuff  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Vinyl Scratch

• Newbie Poster
  • Brony for life, haters gonna hate
Reinstalled stuff
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
Alright, so I just recently got my laptop completely sweeped so I could get rid of a root sector virus (that's what they called it anyways)

So right now I'm in the process of re-installing some things on my laptop, like skype, ventrillo, chrome, etc.
Anyways, one of the things I want back on my laptop...I have NO idea what it actually was to begin with, it was already there when I got the laptop.

The picture below is my Background, and the arrows are pointing to the feature I WANT back on my laptop, that isn't there now.
So far all I've found that looks like it, is something called "rocket dock", but I want to be SURE that this isn't something that should already be on my laptop...or something that was actually downloaded for me.

Thank you in advanced.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:24:16 AM by Vinyl Scratch »
It's been quite awhile, figure I'd re-install halo and get back into racing. I was once known as Pynk Dude/BFM_SirPynk

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
Re: Reinstalled stuff
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:55:50 AM »
To me, that img link is broken and when doing the direct url, it went to the image host site's home page.

Are you able to upload it to another image host?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 07:05:40 AM »
Alright, so I just recently got my laptop completely sweeped so I could get rid of a root sector virus (that's what they called it anyways)[/url]

Ummmm.... 1) How did you determine that you had a rootKIT virus infection?, and 2) What software did you use to "sweep" it away? because it's NOT that simple a process, usually....

People: A ROOTKIT infection is not that simple to treat, and is The Most misunderstood type of computer virus/infection. The average computer user hasn't a chance of dealing with this type of virus.

If you are going to try this at all, your best bet is to use this tool after thoroughly reading through that entire web page.

So what I'm saying is this: If you KNOW that you have a RootKit infection, and you did NOT use the correct removal tool/method (after thorough investigation, etc.) ... then you still have the infection.

WIPING YOUR HARD DRIVE DOES NOT (always) REMOVE THESE INFECTIONS!

So right now I'm in the process of re-installing some things on my laptop, like skype, ventrillo, chrome, etc.
Anyways, one of the things I want back on my laptop...I have NO idea what it actually was to begin with, it was already there when I got the laptop.

The picture below is my Background, and the arrows are pointing to the feature I WANT back on my laptop, that isn't there now.
So far all I've found that looks like it, is something called "rocket dock", but I want to be SURE that this isn't something that should already be on my laptop...or something that was actually downloaded for me.

< The missing/unreachable image >

Thank you in advanced.

Ya, you need to try to post it again/by another means....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Vinyl Scratch

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
The image looks fine to me...But here ya go.

I didn't take it off, I took it into a computer dock and they did it.
It's been quite awhile, figure I'd re-install halo and get back into racing. I was once known as Pynk Dude/BFM_SirPynk

Offline Trael

• Senior Poster
  • Hi Ho I live in a box...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
rocket dock can do that, but uh, check your manufacturers site for your laptop model and download the driver pack and software pack. If it came stock on your laptop, itll be in the pack.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
I'm still concerned about your rootkit infection....

How did you know that you had one, and how and by whom (generically speaking) was it removed?  By you? A "friend?" An expert??

^^ I just saw the teeny bit of text beneath the image there.

P.S. RE: RocketDock: Ah yes, the tool for PC users that want a little Mac' on their screen!  :winkgrin:
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
I'm going to take a guess that your machine is an HP. That comes as part of an HP Windows 7 installs. I think it's called "HP Launch Box". Nvm .. that's something else, not quite the same.

I think it's called the "HP Adviser Dock". That's if you weren't using Rocket Dock
. :)

I think you were using RocketDock and not that HP Adviser Dock... after googling, they look quite different. :P

Offline Vinyl Scratch

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:17 AM »
So just something that was already installed when i got it, alright then.

Thanks guys.

Print