Print 

Author Topic: What is your IQ???  (Read 68832 times)

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
Re: What is your IQ???
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:42 AM »
okay i just took test again and this time i score a 96!!!  ;D so my IQ is getting higher. soon i will get an iq of more than 100  d_b

what this thing below

how do i know where i stand now?????? what that long curly S thing on the left??? and where i plug the 96 to get my new ranking?

Did any of you ever do a real IQ test?
how much it cost if its cheap then mayyyyybe

Sorry to burst your bubble, but theoretically if you continuously test your IQ over and over again, you will find an average number that all of your scores will be around.  This means that a person's IQ will not change that much from age 1 to age 100 (given the person is in good health).  However, there are many factors that could possibly contribute to the changes you may see, for example a person's health when they're given the test, or the atmosphere, and many other factors.  It's basically a test, so with all tests there are outside interferences that may inhibit or help a person's score.  But generally speaking, a person's IQ will not change dramatically within a small timeframe.

And that weird curly S is called an integral sign, and its used in a type of mathematics called Calculus.  If you have a calculator that can do integrals (denoted usually by the curly S or the phrase "int()", you would plug in your score where the 90 is in the equation above.  But it can be complex to set up in a calculator for someone who hasn't taken a Calculus course.

I would believe a real IQ test would cost around the same as any standardized test, so possibly in the $100s.  But I'm not sure because each company gives out their own test, so they each set their own price.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline SgtTanner

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2009, 11:16:52 PM »
so why are some people like so smart and some so-so? do you think its like genetics or the stuff people do in their life that determine their IQ and stuff? and is there something people with high iq do differently in life??? i see ads on the internet that are pills that increase your IQ, do u know if thats true?

okay so you said the curley S thiny is the integral sign but i dont see that symbol on my calculator? what calculator do u have that have the int() function u talking about so i can go to the store and buy one and play with it to calculate my IQ. And can you plug in my IQ score 96 into your calculator in the meantime to tell me my IQ ranking compare to others please? also, i read on page3 that Edison said he got IQ 112, what percentage difference is his integral compare to mine? one last question also please, how do you plug in an IQ above 140+ that X got into a calculator? why does it not say like an exact whole integer?

thank you for being patient and nice and explaining things goalie

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2009, 11:48:49 PM »
I've actually taken that test a few times over a few years. One thing they do with IQ scores is taking age into account to normalize everything more, and I believe the result I posted was from a time two years prior to the post, when I was 13. That also happened to be around the time that I took school far less seriously than I should have, which had negative consequences many years later. In later times, I got higher scores by more than 20 points I believe. In some ways, this is more of a score of the combination of how much you've exercised your intelligence, or however you want to say that, with your intelligence.

One idea behind the IQ test is that you have a set base intelligence, which would learn more towards it being genetics. But as far as I am aware, it has not been linked to genetics solely. It's another of those areas where people argue nature vs. nurture, though in this case I personally think it's obviously both, and that genetics do play a large role in intelligence, or at least the desire to learn certain things, which is why siblings (like my sister and I) can be so different even if they are raised similarly with the idea that they should do well in school and learn a lot, and so on.

There's a bunch to this topic, and I think Booyah posted a link to somewhere with a bunch of information on IQ tests, or at least he had a long post, I forget which.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »
so why are some people like so smart and some so-so? do you think its like genetics or the stuff people do in their life that determine their IQ and stuff? and is there something people with high iq do differently in life??? i see ads on the internet that are pills that increase your IQ, do u know if thats true?

okay so you said the curley S thiny is the integral sign but i dont see that symbol on my calculator? what calculator do u have that have the int() function u talking about so i can go to the store and buy one and play with it to calculate my IQ. And can you plug in my IQ score 96 into your calculator in the meantime to tell me my IQ ranking compare to others please? also, i read on page3 that Edison said he got IQ 112, what percentage difference is his integral compare to mine? one last question also please, how do you plug in an IQ above 140+ that X got into a calculator? why does it not say like an exact whole integer?

In order to do integrals, you would need a powerful scientific calculator, one that does more than just addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.  One example is the TI-83 and -84 series. (Which cost around $100-150)  These have a function on them which I believe is "fint()" that does integrals.  For this calculator, the input would look something like this:
fint(x2+5x+14, x, 0, 10)
Where x2+5x+14 is the equation that you want the answer for, x defines the variable (you could use any letter in the alphabet, you just have to define which variable you want because the calculator stores numbers inside letters), 0 is the lower bound (where you want to start) and 10 is the upper bound (where you want to end).

Like I said, unless you've taken a course in Calculus, this will probably seem like a different language to you.  I'd probably ask your parents or other siblings and see if they know what I'm talking about.  If not, then one of your teachers may know about integrals.

I've actually taken that test a few times over a few years. One thing they do with IQ scores is taking age into account to normalize everything more, and I believe the result I posted was from a time two years prior to the post, when I was 13. That also happened to be around the time that I took school far less seriously than I should have, which had negative consequences many years later. In later times, I got higher scores by more than 20 points I believe. In some ways, this is more of a score of the combination of how much you've exercised your intelligence, or however you want to say that, with your intelligence.

One idea behind the IQ test is that you have a set base intelligence, which would learn more towards it being genetics. But as far as I am aware, it has not been linked to genetics solely. It's another of those areas where people argue nature vs. nurture, though in this case I personally think it's obviously both, and that genetics do play a large role in intelligence, or at least the desire to learn certain things, which is why siblings (like my sister and I) can be so different even if they are raised similarly with the idea that they should do well in school and learn a lot, and so on.

There's a bunch to this topic, and I think Booyah posted a link to somewhere with a bunch of information on IQ tests, or at least he had a long post, I forget which.

As I read, IQ scores were in the past used to determine how well a child would do in school, work, etc.  They can tailor an IQ test to fit a specific age group, and therefore get a good idea of how well that child is doing compared to everyone else.  Usually until you reach the age of 20, you would have to take a specific test to determine your IQ, because an adult IQ test would not give a correct score because of the differences in ability to comprehend.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »
The SAT and ACT are actually supposed to be like IQ tests, but as you can see from all these studying things, there are ways you can essentially cheat the system, like with any test (this is part of the reason I refused to study for the SAT and ACT).

For integrals, there should be some online ones. Wolfram probably has one.

Offline Titanium»X«

• Junior Poster
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »
Did any of you ever do a real IQ test?
Cause they surely consist many more areas covered as this one :P

No such thing as a "real" IQ test.

That's essentially saying that 26.6% of people who take the IQ test with a standard deviation of 16 score 90 or below.

You forgot to add the disclaimer, "assuming if »X«'s calculation is correct." Because you never know...  :winkgrin:

That also happened to be around the time that I took school far less seriously than I should have, which had negative consequences many years later.

Hopefully, you got over Rice Univerisity denying your admission.  :P

Offline SgtTanner

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:18 PM »

In order to do integrals, you would need a powerful scientific calculator, one that does more than just addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.  One example is the TI-83 and -84 series. (Which cost around $100-150)  These have a function on them which I believe is "fint()" that does integrals.  For this calculator, the input would look something like this:
fint(x2+5x+14, x, 0, 10)
Where x2+5x+14 is the equation that you want the answer for, x defines the variable (you could use any letter in the alphabet, you just have to define which variable you want because the calculator stores numbers inside letters), 0 is the lower bound (where you want to start) and 10 is the upper bound (where you want to end).

Like I said, unless you've taken a course in Calculus, this will probably seem like a different language to you.  I'd probably ask your parents or other siblings and see if they know what I'm talking about.  If not, then one of your teachers may know about integrals.

As I read, IQ scores were in the past used to determine how well a child would do in school, work, etc.  They can tailor an IQ test to fit a specific age group, and therefore get a good idea of how well that child is doing compared to everyone else.  Usually until you reach the age of 20, you would have to take a specific test to determine your IQ, because an adult IQ test would not give a correct score because of the differences in ability to comprehend.

i have a ti82 do that work too? how do i get to the fint() do i like type it in?

also can u like pls anwer the rest of my questions on my last post pls sorry for being slow and stuff but im trying to like learn and get stuff. so can u plug in those iq to get my integral number for me and the iq rank? also what my ranking compare to iq 112 and 140?

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2009, 07:56:19 PM »
The TI82 should be able to do integrals.  There isn't a button for integrals, but if you press the MATH button then 9, you should get the "fnInt(" function.  This is what the equation should look like:

fnInt(1/(16*√(2*π)*e^(-(X/100)^2*2*16^2),X,0,Z)*100

π can be found by pressing "2nd" and then "^" (but if you can't find it, then just use the number 3.14),  √ is the square root function which can be found by pressing "2nd" then "x2", and e can be found by pressing "2nd" then "LN".  "Z" is your score,  so if you scored 112, then your equation would look something like this:

fnInt(1/(16*√(2*π)*e^(-(X/100)^2*2*16^2),X,0,112)*100

If you need any more help with setting this up, you can send me a Personal Message (PM for short) and we can work it out that way.

The test gave a "140+" because it's not a very accurate test.  When someone scores far away from 100, it becomes much harder to tell what the actual number is because this test isn't as accurate as other IQ tests.  So you really can't put "140+" into the calculator, but you could put "140" in there and get a number that would be very close to the actual answer.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:46 AM »
That also happened to be around the time that I took school far less seriously than I should have, which had negative consequences many years later.

Hopefully, you got over Rice Univerisity denying your admission.  :P

That was the one I least cared about :s How many old threads have you been reading o_O

Offline Titanium»X«

• Junior Poster
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2009, 08:17:49 AM »

Hopefully, you got over Rice Univerisity denying your admission.  :P

That was the one I least cared about :s How many old threads have you been reading o_O

Did you really apply to Rice and get rejected? If so, then I didn't know. I was just trying to tease you.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
I wrote my essays hours before the deadline so...

Dr Decoy

« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2009, 08:25:41 AM »
Took one a while back, got a 119. I don't believe it was accurate though. Can't trust the internet on those things... :doh:

Offline Titanium»X«

• Junior Poster
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2009, 08:28:22 AM »

I normally re-use my essay with a few modifications.  You don't seem like the person who would publicize their rejection to a university in a thread. But LOL anyways for my psychic ability  :P

Offline MusicGamer

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Okay, so I saw this topic and took the test (I admit it, I was bored).  Scored about 121 with standard deviation 16, though I never trust these things anyway.  I just did it for kicks.

-MusicGamer

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2009, 10:34:39 AM »

I normally re-use my essay with a few modifications.  You don't seem like the person who would publicize their rejection to a university in a thread. But LOL anyways for my psychic ability  :P

Meh, college apps are about making yourself appear qualified and not actually being qualified anyways. And I didn't start doing extracurriculars and stuff to a good enough extent till it was too late.

Print