Print 

Author Topic: Microsoft Customer Service at it's "Finest"  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
Microsoft Customer Service at it's "Finest"
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »
(courtsey of Hawty McBloggy)

Once upon a time there was a boy who loved video games. This boy bought an Xbox 360. Two years later it broke. The boy had no choice but to send it in for repairs. It was then that Microsoft decided to edited him over. <Deleted by me for langauge>. This is his story.

A passionate gamer by the name of Nathaniel purchased an Xbox 360 at launch. After working reliably for over two years, his faithful console companion finally kicked the bucket. It was then that he faced a major quandary. Should he send it in for repairs or attempt to fix it himself? The obvious answer would be send it in for repairs but Nathaniel’s 360 was not like yours and mine. Oh no, it was special. “Was” being the key word.

Nathaniel’s Xbox 360 was his trusty traveling companion. Throughout their joint adventures, Nathaniel acquired several signatures from notable members of the gaming community, all collected directly upon his console with permanent marker. Signatures from several members of the Rooster Teeth Productions staff shared space with signatures from members of the Xbox 360 team and also staff from Bungie Studios. He even had custom artwork by Rooster Teeth Comics artist and Halo fan artist Luke McKay on it.

This console adorned with things representing very special memories held great sentimental value to Nathaniel as you can imagine. Not even taking into account that it had monetary value as well, it was simply a console that he adored. That is why shipping it off to the repair center was not the easiest choice to make. But between that and trying to repair it himself, it was the better option. Taking it apart would have voided the warranty so if his attempts at fixing it had been unsuccessful, he would have been screwed. Unfortunately he still got edited, but he didn’t know that would happen at this point.

<Image removed by me for language, but had signatures from the Red Vs Blue team on it>

Obviously concerned about his prized console’s case, he called Xbox support to discuss the possibility of getting a different 360 sent back to him and the importance that he get the same exact console and case back. He was assured his console would get repaired and they would ship the same console back to him. They gave him a reference number for the call and that was that.

Nathaniel carefully packaged his beloved 360 into the coffin, including this letter :

To whom it may concern:

Enclosed in this package you will find one Xbox 360 console, serial number 610537654806. I pre-ordered this machine months before the Xbox 360 launched, and I’ve been a proud owner ever since it arrived. Although the original warranty for my machine has expired some time ago, I still keep the sales receipt and original retail box.

I have taken this unit along with me on some of my travels over the past two years, and during that time I have acquired a number of signatures from notable members of the gaming community.

Among those signatures are several members of the Rooster Teeth Productions staff, certain members of the Xbox 360 team, and some of the staff from Bungie Studios. Those signatures are also joined by custom artwork by Rooster Teeth Comics artist and Halo fan artist Luke McKay. This console represents some special memories—of which I am quite fond—from the past two years of my life. As you can imagine, this particular unit has a great deal of sentimental value to me and is quite possibly of reasonable monetary value as well.

I am well aware that in many cases new replacement units have been returned to those who have sent their consoles for repairs. I would be displeased if this were to happen to me. When I put in the service request for my unit, the agent that took my call assured me that the same unit I have sent to you would be shipped back to me. If you must send a different unit back, please put my original case on the replacement unit. Having put the above information forward, it is logical to conclude that I would be most disappointed should I receive a different console with a plain white case in return.

Please take care in handling the case, as despite the fact that the ink is permanent and has had plenty of time to set, the possibility yet remains that it may be smudged.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

So he called beforehand and was told he would receive his exact console back. He also included a letter just to cover all his bases. I bet you think you know what happens next. If you were to guess that Microsoft sent him a different plain white console back, you would be wrong.

They sent him his Xbox 360 back. The front serial number and the back serial number match up exactly. So what is the problem then? Someone at the repair center took the time to clean his console case. Despite the fact that the repairs that needed to be done were inside the console, someone wiped down the outside of the case. Wiped it down so well in fact that all of the signatures and artwork are completely gone. All that is left are some smudges and the unmistakable purple-ish hue of diluted permanent ink.

Permanent marker does not rub off that easily. Someone put a lot of work into making sure they erased all of the rich history that was built up on that console. There were not scribbles all over it, there were signatures. And pictures. Is there any way you could see a picture of Master Chief and think it wasn’t there on purpose? I am at a loss to understand how an employee looked at that console and thought it would be a good idea to scrub off everything on it.

Despite the fact that Nathaniel called beforehand and got assurances that everything would be ok, despite the fact that he included a very detailed and clear letter with his console, despite the fact that it was no fault of his own that his console broke in the first place, Nathaniel is just another gamer to get edited over by Microsoft in a rather unique way. My brain simply can’t understand how an error of this magnitude happened. I do hope they take the time to make this right. But what are the chances of that, right?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:35:15 PM by BFM_Gryphon »

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
  • its when you're not looking that the shot hits
Re: Microsoft Customer Service at it's "Finest"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »
wow... just wow. that was some artwork there, too bad someone hated it at microsoft and killed it all :(

team sig by Slayton, thanks a ton!

My virtues: be silent but strong, never attack in anger, uphold all just laws, and stay 100% loyal to your choices and friends

Offline Fralalala

• Regular Poster
  • This One Time I Was BFM_British...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
Last paragraph second line up. ;)
Langauge still...

But sad story...

Offline JôkÖr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:37:58 PM »
Man....................Im shocked on how someone could do that! especially something of that much value! I can only hope that who ever did that pays the full consequences. :toughguy:

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
If that happened to me, I would be so furious.

I notice a customer service survey under the console. Did you put horrible for all the questions?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:42:50 PM by BFM_Brick »
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:36:52 PM »
Thankfully, was not I, but I have a feeling he'd use language that would make your average sailor cringe at.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:47:08 PM »
I can't even begin to think about how mad I would be if someone did that to something of mine that meant that much to me. I can't comprehend it at all. Totally outrageous.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »
Poor lad. Well, thats what i like to call, snide.  :-\

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 09:12:01 PM »
That's terrible. Really.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 09:41:41 PM »

I think the sad story, and everyone else has missed the most likely REAL backstory: Someone in the repair shop swapped it out for a new, replacement cover and now has the kid's treasured "signature edition" cover.

'Bet ya $10 that's what happened.  (Come on, who & WHY would someone BOTHER to "clean" something off of a simply-replaceable cover, of which they probably have scads in stock in the repair depot?!?)  ... And I don't see/doubt there are "smudges and the unmistakable purple-ish hue of diluted permanent ink" left behind either.  (Maybe it's me, but I don't see it.)  And don't think they can't make new serial # stickers when they need them, either!

Personally, I blame the guy for thinking it was safe sending it out with something so unique on it. (Esp. since covers are probably easily available, and cost far less than his cover was probably worth in sentimental value alone...)

In fact, I'll bet you that if he sent it in WITHOUT ANY cover, they'd simply have given him a new one!

< 2c >

Finally: I don't suppose this is something that's confined to Micro$oft, either.

In fact, I had an epiphany while hiking in Yosemite a few years back about how Mankind ends  :siren:  :

The continual erosion of the execution of the Service Sector is the eventual undoing of all Mankind.

For real.  No joke.

Think about it....

</ 2c >

« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 01:11:00 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
An interesting ephiphany there, Mxy. The sad thing is, you're completely right.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 06:31:14 AM »
I had a similar one, but Hydra's spammage was involved

I agree with Myx, no one cleans hard stuff like that. New case and someone now has something cool to sell on ebay (keep checking regularly :P)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 07:16:30 AM »
I think the sad story, and everyone else has missed the most likely REAL backstory: Someone in the repair shop swapped it out for a new, replacement cover and now has the kid's treasured "signature edition" cover.

I thought this too tbh. But halted to say as have not seen the pictures that have been left out here on the thread to determine whether these few remaining permanent marker smudges are faked... If there are any showing on these pictures. I need to see the original source really. But yeah that was also my initial thought and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that happened.

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 08:00:15 AM »
Thats vulgar.
sickening and sad.
 :-\

Offline S@ndm@n

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 08:43:20 PM »
Actually, there was a third picture left out of this printing of the article.  See the full text here:

<Link removed by BFM_Ediseye (He reposted the story and edited things because of language and the picture. That's why he didn't post the link that you did. Please be a bit more careful next time. Thanks.)>

It's truly an act of vandalism on Microsoft's part, negligence and incompetence at best.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:53:43 PM by BFM_Ediseye »

Print