Print 

Author Topic: Driving versus Gunning  (Read 10921 times)

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
Re: Driving versus Gunning
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
I have no preference between driving and gunning, but I prefer not to be passenger. Usually, I'll let the person near me choose which spot he/she wants and then choose the other. Choice between chain and rocket, though, depends on the map and where I spawn. Obviously I'm just going to get in and go on Infinity and any other mixed spawn. But depending on the base I spawn at for Death Island and how long it takes to pair up, my preference changes.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I like to gun. I love to gun on Aussie servers. However, I also really enjoy driving most maps, and showing off to the guests :P. Being Aussie I usually end up in a driver seat 9/10 times. On Aussie servers I probably drive about 6/10 times.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Bleach

• Senior Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
passengering!!!!

I love the feeling of being able to stick an enemy hog from the passenger seat! nothing beats it IMO  d_b d_b

But in all seriousness, the passenger seat is my favorite, Ive actually gotten used to being in the passenger position and(IMO) gotten quite good at it as well.
A part of the winning teams for season 9, 10, 13, 17, 18 and now 19. Thanks for all of the great memories guys :D

Offline AR~Unit»Zero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 05:32:59 PM »
I voted driver because I enjoy driving warthogs and I often find that I get killed more when other people drive me. But really, I'm fine with any of the seats. I like gunning the rocket hog on close quarters maps and the chain on more wide open ones. Even the passenger seat is alright sometimes if I want to be totally lazy and do nothing.  ;D

Offline Boot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
I need gravol to sit in the pasenger seat. And haven't any of you noticed that it is the passenger that usually dies first on an otherwise non-fatal nade or rocket hit?

But gunning a rocket hog, that's my favorite.

I like driving when a BFM is gunning (as opposed to the other way around), since BFM's are as a rule great gunners (except when admin'ing) and I'm never sure to shoot or hold fire when a BFM stops driving to admin.

Good thread, good racing,

Boot.

Offline AR~Archon

• Senior Poster
  • No surrender, no retreat
    • MacFire (Xfire for Mac)
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 08:44:53 PM »
I actually prefer driving over gunning, most of the time.  I like to drive mainly because there are many random guests that don't seem to drive very well.  They probably just need practice, but I seem to have better luck keeping us alive when I'm driving.  Besides, a lot of others go straight for the gunner seat first ::).

Plus, I have a nasty tendency to suicide myself when I gun rocket hogs :bang:.  I'm getting better, even with chain hogs, but it's annoying  :P .
The minstrel boy to the war has gone...
Understanding is a three edged sword.  Your side, their side, and the truth.
Who are you?  What do you want?  Why are you here?  Where are you going?

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »
I need gravol to sit in the pasenger seat. And haven't any of you noticed that it is the passenger that usually dies first on an otherwise non-fatal nade or rocket hit?

I think it's because the passenger is the most exposed/least protected of the three.  The driver has the windshield and cockpit to protect him, and the gunner has a metal shield that protects him from frontal attacks.  The passenger, since he/she is standing over the windshield, seems to be the least protected and therefore takes the most damage from any hit.
Also, it seems that the more people you have in your hog, the more damage you can take before dying.  Probalby because the damage to the hog itself is split up between the riders.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »
As the name suggests, I prefer to drive more than anything else, partly because it increases my chances of actually getting my navs (This became my policy after an incident on Infinity where the game started, someone gets into a hog and rushes to the first nav, comes back and picks me up, then proceeds directly to the SECOND nav, even though he should have known I couldn't have gotten first nav yet >.<)  Although, I am kind of partial to the "meat seat" because 1. I like the idea of being in a hog with first person view, and 2. I throw a pretty mean sticky that will connect with an enemy hog 8/10 times.  I've even stuck a random walker before!  Although I had a bad experience one time where I threw a nade at a someone standing right in front of our hog, and my nade, by pure chance, bounced off his assault rifle and stuck OUR hog instead.  My face at the time = :jawdrop:

Sonic
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »
passengering!!!!

I love the feeling of being able to stick an enemy hog from the passenger seat! nothing beats it IMO  d_b d_b

But in all seriousness, the passenger seat is my favorite, Ive actually gotten used to being in the passenger position and(IMO) gotten quite good at it as well.

Ehhhh ?? - are you one of those who jumps in the passenger seat when I need a gunner?  (joke)  Although it is a pet peeve, among others, but I'll save that for the Pet Peeves thread. 

Prefer the Rocket Hog, especially on IF & DC maps, and depending on the map, either position (except passenger) works for me.  I like shooting at targets, but I like getting good lap times too.  Gunning makes it easier to admin and to see what other players are doing. 

But most of all, I'm just grateful to get a Hog at all.  Gets old spawning where there are none and at the opposite end from your next nav.  I'll get off my pity pot now.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:30:17 PM by bfm_ImaybeU »

^^Thanks Warlord for the great sig!

Offline ºReFº

• Senior Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:48 PM »
I guess the thing you prefer is the thing your best at. In that sense for me it's definetely driving. One day I'd like to consider myself a good gunner, but until then I'll stick with the driving.

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

~Former 1st Lieutenant - 2008

Offline Diehard6309

• Senior Poster
  • The Goggles! :o
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 03:15:03 PM »
Driving, or Gunner for rocket I dont care which
"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"

- Hands held high

Offline nicholasaishk

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
For me,
It really depends on which im doing.  For death island, step away im driving :siren:.  but for some others... someone else can drive

^^^ cool sig made by jake360 :) ^^^                                               ^^^ cool sig made by jake360 :) ^^^

Offline JuiceBox!

• Senior Poster
  • The personal text I wanted to put here was too lon
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
I am definitely one of the better drivers in the game, although I am not a bad gunner either. I usually find myself driving most of the time, due to selfish gunners.

I really am well off in any seat in the hog, including passenger. <3 to stick people from passenger on Danger Canyon.

Offline barleb23

• Newbie Poster
  • "Out in the street...Thinking out loud..."
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »
I like to do it all. Usually I'm a better contributor to the team as driver since my gunning skills are usually sub-par.  I try to do whatever is needed instantaneously though to make things as smooth as possible. Plus, I'm always trying to improve my techniques on all fronts so my whole team can benefit! (I'm still horrible at squeezing through the cave on BG...I always fall off...lol)

I also always try for passenger or gunner on Timberland though because for some reason I lag real bad on that map.

Nice question!

Print