Print 

Author Topic: Hog Skins?  (Read 2174 times)

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
Hog Skins?
« on: March 15, 2008, 02:27:38 AM »
so i see that alot of people here have hog skins on there hogs in game. i was curious as to how you make them?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Offline Diehard6309

• Senior Poster
  • The Goggles! :o
Re: Hog Skins?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:28:44 AM »
This is NOT originally from me! CET has a post like this which I couldn't link to due to the BFM forums guidline things.

I am going to try and explain the process so anybody can do it.

You will need a few programs first:

HMT 3.5

This program  will let you get into the guts of your halo game.

Download it at the following link.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1343

DTXbmp

When you get your hog skin out of your halo game ( I will explain how to do this below) it will be in a DDS format.   This program will turn the DDS format to a BMP format for editing in your paint program.

Download it at the following link:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DXTBmp-Download-53836.html

That is the 2 specialty programs you will need to edit hog skins, or any other skins in halo.

If you dont already have one you will also need a paint program like Paint Shop Pro or Gimp.  Something like that.

Now lets get started:

Getting the files out of halo:
1st you will need to open up your HMT3.5 program.

On the bottom left you will see Open Map tab.  Click on that.

You will need to find your maps file for Halo.  Mine is in my C drive, Program Files, Microsoft Games, Halo, Maps  (Yours may be different)

I usually open up my BloodGultch.map

In your Resorce Browser you will see a bunch of stuff.  Go to the 4th one down,  " Bitmap " click on the + to open it.

Scroll down this list until you come to: vehicles\warthog\bitmaps\warthog

Click on that once,  you will see the picture of a hog skin, in 2D.   This is the skin you will be editing

Next to the image on the right bottom you will see " Save Texture ". Click on that and save your skin somewhere you will know where it is.   I like to put it on my desktop, But the choice is yours.

Dont close your HTM 3.5 program,  it doesnt matter only it will save you time when your ready to put your skin back into your game.)

I would make a new folder that is labled "Original Halo Files" Save another copy of your texture in that folder so you will have your original.

To convert the Files:

Ok now your hog skin is in DDS format,

Open up your DXTbmp program,

In the File tab select Open and open your hog skin.
Now Go back to the File tab and  " save as " your in the format you can use.  I use "24 bit BMP Image"

Now your hog skin is  able to be edited in your paint program.  I wont go into details about this, you can experament to get yoru desiered effect.

Now put it all back

When you are done playing with your hog,  Save it under  a different name (Halo doesnt care about the name)

Now open up your DXTbmp program again and convert it back to a DDS file.

Go back into your HTM 3.5 program and click the Inject Texture tab next to the image on the bottom right.

Find your new hog skin you just converted to DDS and put it in.

Close the HTM 3.5 program completely (Halo wont load with this open)

Now go into your Halo game and check out your new hog.

Now if you want to edit your rocket hog the bitmat is  " vehicles\rwarthog\bitmaps\rwarthog "

I hope I helped you more then confused you.

If you need help, pls feel free to post here.

Just be sure you save your original files,  if you dont like what you make you can always put it back the way it was.

**Sorry for the long post. Would've been longer if I didnt edit out the size changes to the lettering.***
"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"

- Hands held high

Offline A41~CET

• Junior Poster
  • Screaming Eagles!!!
    • My Photobucket album
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:07:31 AM »
Thanks Diehard for posting this.    Target if you still need help after this,  you can xfire me sometime and I can help ya.

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:10:03 PM »
Great help! Thanks much diehard!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Offline Diehard6309

• Senior Poster
  • The Goggles! :o
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
Credit goes to CET on this one!  :)

I guess I was just the... Middle man?
"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die"

- Hands held high

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »
You are right. Sorry for not giving you any credit CET. I appreciate everything you two!

Print