Print 

Author Topic: U.S. military adopts Nintendo's remote controller in bomb-defusing bots.  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
You've used it to virtually swing a racket, smack a homerun and hurl a bowling ball. The U.S. military, however, wants to use it to defuse real-world bombs.

According to a report by New Scientist magazine, enterprising engineers at the U.S. Department of Energy have made it possible to control a bomb-defusing robot with the same Nintendo Wii remote that millions of gamers consider a natural extension of their hands.

The military has been working with the hardy Packbot for some time now, using the wheeled robot to sniff out and defuse explosives and landmines for U.S. soldiers. Traditionally, control over the bot has been accomplished with a joypad not unlike the kind that comes with an Xbox or a Playstation. That might seem like an easy fit for today's tech-savvy soldier, but head engineer David Bruemmer notes otherwise.

"Our tests show 90 per cent of the operator's workload goes into driving the robot rather than keeping an eye on the sensor data," he said.

By virtue of its unique motion-detection capabilities, the Wiimote has streamlined the process and allows operators to focus more on the collected data and less on how to steer the Packbot. Bruemmer and his crew have also tweaked the Wii's vibration feedback technology to "buzz" the operator when the Packbot detects something of interest in the field.

iRobot, manufacturers of the Packbot, know a thing or two about cleaning up sticky situations -- they first hit consumer paydirt in 2002 with their automated Roomba vacuum-cleaning robot.

More information on the Packbot can be found at the official site.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Haha...Cool. Kinda dangerous though really.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_ImaybeU

• BFM Admin
  • Got Ping? I do!
Haha...Cool. Kinda dangerous though really.

Yeah - for the robot   :winkgrin:

^^Thanks Warlord for the great sig!

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
^

Yeah but the poor robot...brings me to tears if I ever have to read about a bomb-disposal robot being blown up...all that wasted metallic life...

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_DarkFyr

• BFM Admin
  • Forza Vale
robots have feelings. they are being used to blow themselves up against their will.  :'(

Offline CCBigBoy

• Newbie Poster
I think the militaries deserve to toy sometimes too ........ hehehehe .......   !!!
CC=BigBoy+-
 d_b :yesyes: d_b

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
wow.... those remotes can do something other than make me frustrated and and my arm hurt?! woot for the *BOOOOOOOOOOOM* little pieces of robot in the statosephere

Offline Gunner

• Junior Poster
  • When The Rich Wage War It's The Poor Who Die.
wow.... those remotes can do something other than make me frustrated and and my arm hurt?! woot for the *BOOOOOOOOOOOM* little pieces of robot in the statosephere
lol
"Sir We Are Surrounded!"
"Excellent! Now We Can Attack in any direction!"

Offline Draucus

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is more than the sum of it's parts.
:neckbeard: wow, that's awesome! :awesome:

:Dracula:*Draucus

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
cool! ;D

Print