Print 

Author Topic: Hog Camping at beginning of Game  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Sst

• Newbie Poster
  • My Mallies
    • Sst/Concorde
Hog Camping at beginning of Game
« on: August 11, 2007, 04:06:46 AM »
At the beginning of many games such as Ice Fields, Infinity etc. There is a significant amount of grenading of hogs. Invariably, slowing everyone down from racing.  My question is why not allow hog camping at this point only. What is the difference of grabbing a rocket hog and shooting someone that is trying to grenade you, and prevent you from waiting for a teamate?

Offline Jimmy

• Posts Too Much
  • I've never cooked prawns on the Barbie
Re: Hog Camping at beginning of Game
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 04:16:19 AM »
My opinion in this is that by hog camping you are falling to their level and committing to slayer. I understand that there is a lot of slayer in those games but by falling to their level you also slow the game down.

Now i know that sure maybe you might shoot one or two rocket till a driver comes but if we made this a rule then it would be widely abused and giving people a reason to camp/ play slayer.

This is my opinion, you will here similar ones and different ones, but my advice is get in and get out as best you can.
History of Jimmy
Applied 16th Feb 2007
Recruited 28th April 2007
Big Tags 8th Jun 2007
Corporal March 25th 2008
Head Corporal July 8th 2008
Sargeant Aug 17th 2008
Lieutenant Nov 11th 2008

Offline Igor

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 04:21:49 AM »
Wouldn't this not just slow down a race even more, as Jimmy said your just falling to what their doing, if we encourage people to not nade unless they have no hog, then the problem is solved, i believe that this will only cause more problems.
IgOr.

Wow i sounded quite official XD
~Former BFM Sergeant ~
~ Arrived 20/08/2007 - 23/11/2009 Departed... ~

BFM_Nrvend

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 05:29:19 AM »
The name of the game is race, the concept is to advance towards you next nav first above all other objectives. Many who don't understand the game actually play with the idea of kill first and race second. When the race starts, the first and  foremost goal should be to get into the hog and get out hopefully with a gunner. In our captain's scrim you are not allowed to nade a hog that does not have a gunner if there are other hogs still in the area. ( this does not apply if it is the only hog there ) but the second a gunner gets on that hog he becomes fair game and even at a disadvantage if he does not have a driver because he can not shoot back until he does. That is why it makes more sense for the first person to get to the hog to jump into the drivers seat. So the racer has just made himself an unnecessary target by jumping into the gunner seat first. The problem is that in the public races everyone wants to kill first and gun first so most maps start out in a " me first" mode rather then in a "team" mode. when you see two racers who work together you will just about always see the first to the hog drive,  and the second one guns. At that point the gunner can immediately fire while the driver proceeds to race. To ever allow a gunner to shoot without a driver negates the team strategy and would turn the game  into even more of a slayer fest.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 05:31:20 AM by BFM_Nrvend »

Offline Sst

• Newbie Poster
  • My Mallies
    • Sst/Concorde
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
thanks for input, Bfm Nrvnd, that makes a lot of sense

Offline randyscab

• Senior Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:52:45 AM »
Very well said Nrv. Your reply should be required reading for all who play in our servers. NO JOKE.

Offline icdeadppl

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:52:16 AM »
Well written Nrvend!! If it was just you and I there and we were on different team I would just give the hog to you and walk to my next nav  ::)

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:35:07 PM »
Yeah but that's not because you don't want to play slayer or kill Nrv and want to race, that's because if you attacked him you know you would lose  ;) :P ::)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Bunyip

• Newbie Poster
  • puff puff pant.... where's a hog when you need one
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 10:42:39 PM »
Besides, think of that wonderful sense of satisfaction and relief you get when you do finally get out of somewhere like Infinity, and have managed to evade all those nades etc.
Makes you glad to be alive!

Offline icdeadppl

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:55:54 AM »
LOL BFM_Hydra!!! I just would hate to see the sad face on Nrvend's face if I took his hog and he is a horrible slayer so it gives me no satisfaction to continue to kill him time after time.  8)

Offline Frost 2.0

• Newbie Poster
  • Shut up and race
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »
Question along similar lines (this really belongs in the Questions to the Officers area imho) ..

Say you're just starting on Infinity. You are running toward a hog (there are lots of hogs) and you see an opponent jump into the gunner seat on the hog that has no driver, and spin in your direction. Now freezeframe the scene. According to BFM rules, as I understand them, you are not allowed to nade that hog because there are other hogs present, and your opponent is not allowed to fire at you without a driver. However, you do not know who your opponent is, and since he's climbed into the gunner seat first, it is safe to assume (in the panicked scramble those first few moments of the map) that he is not a BFM or has a full understanding of the way we race on BFM servers. So ultimately you don't know if he's about to fire on you or not.

Now .. usually when I see an opponent claim a hog, in either seat, I move on to the next hog. However what invariably happens is, the opponent starts firing on me anyway, and I am at a disadvantage because a) I've let him live in the first place and b) I've abandoned the idea of claiming that hog for myself and have turned away from him.

So, if I see an opponent do this, am I in my rights to toss a nade at him in preventative self-defense, or is that considered just adding to the nadefest? As Nrvend points out, "the second a gunner gets on that hog he becomes fair game... the racer has just made himself an unnecessary target" but does that give me the right--according to the rules--to attack him? Or do I have to wait for him to fire at me first?

- frost

BFM_Nrvend

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Hydra, thanks, but I have to agree with IC...he can't even get enjoyment out of killing me any more....too easy...so he pays others to do it for him ...just to spread the pleasure around.  on an other note IC....your blonde joke was awsome..I laughed so loud , Wic slapped me and she's not even blonde.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
^ See here I was stickin' up for yah :P

Frost,

If they HAVE A GUNNER, or are SITTING IN THE GUNNER SEAT, you may NADE REGARDLESS of whether there are OTHER HOGS. (I wasn't yelling just emphasizing :) )

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Ч Vípër

• Junior Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »
BFM_Nrvend wrote : Many who don't understand the game actually play with the idea of kill first and race second

well said i have noticed it as well there is heaps of hogs aroud and everyone nades the one with a person in it it is still regarded as slayer and i thin kit should be stopped    i know it is hard but as u have all said it slows the race down

Offline icdeadppl

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 04:54:40 AM »
I am glad you liked my joke Nrvend! Maybe Wic just didn't get the joke... maybe if you explain really sloooowly to her she will understand LOL

Print