Print 

Author Topic: Infinity strategies  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
Infinity strategies
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
Ah, infinity.  That one map that everybody hates to drive on, yet knowing how to drive it can make or break your lap times.  So, being one of the only avid drivers who actually LIKES infinity, I figure I can share some tips to shave several seconds off your lap time. 

First off, at the start it is generally wise to grab a hog and a gunner and then back up for about 1 second before rushing for the nav so that by the time you get out, everyone else has already rocketed each other into oblivion and no one will notice the hog that slips out a few seconds late. 

It is best to take the ditch for the first run because as long as you can avoid hitting the trees and rocks, you will pull slightly ahead in terms of lap time.  I would suggest that you practice taking this route in your own server alone so that you can go through the whole ditch without hitting any trees or rocks head on.  Getting through this area without even brushing up against anything will shave a full second off your end lap time.

The jumps are pretty straight forward, just take it straight or jump off towards the right slightly if someone is shooting rockets back at the jump in the hopes of hitting you.  Keep driving normally until you reach the "Fat man's squeeze".  Here, let your finger of the gas for just a split second and then turn, and then put your finger on the gas again.  This will help you avoid flipping and maximize your speed to a safe limit.

At blue base, pretty much just drive as straight as possible unless there are rockets coming at you, in which case you should drive slightly to the right under the base's overhang, because they will usually be shooting towards the left to avoid shooting the dirt mound.

At the little oil refinery place (the big place with all the pipes) do NOT cut through the center.  Instead, go the right of the refinery and then slow down when taking the turn around the big dirt mound here using the same strategy used at "Fat man's squeeze".

Use the same strategy for the jumps that you used before, except jump off towards the right if someone is shooting back.

With the final home stretch, take the inside tunnel and then where the road curves slightly to the right then back to the left, just cut across that turn to save about half a second.

Here, just zip on through the lap nav and keep in mind your time may not be that great because you had to hold back a little at the start.  On your next lap, you should be able to sit back and enjoy a 101 lap time or so!  If you keep up these strategies and practice, you can cut it down to 100 and maybe even the "legendary" 99 lap time!!  Happy driving!

Sonic
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is uncertain, Death is not
Re: Infinity strategies
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:21:38 AM »
That stratagy is good and probably best for time trials. When you are racing though I have a few more useful things for surviving and helping your team win. The start, Ah the 30 or seconds of madness, Speed is the key. Try not to get caught up in the fighting. Try to get out as FAST as possible. Dont worry about trying to get a specific hog just get in one and go. If you get a gunner good but if you dont it is ok. This is one map that you do not need a gunner to survive. Besides you will always end up running into a walker at some point when its safe to stop. At the beginning waiting for a gunner will GET YOU KILLED. If a gunner doesnt hop in right away just go. Your team isnt going to get any help if you have 3 0r 4 teamates stuck at base in a fight. The jumps. Pay attention when coming up to them. Look all possible ways. If you see a rocket coming towards the jump the best thing to do is slow down a little. Make sure you dont have a teamate hog behind you they might run into you. If you have a gunner make sure you do not slow down long it could look like camping. When you get to the refinery it doesnt really matter how you go thru it. The way sonic said to go is the fastest. Middle is good to. If you are being shot at choose the best way thru to keep you alive. Now after the second jump, the tunnel is the safest way to go also faster. The most important thing is to get that nav in front of the tunnel. If you are being shot at right there GET TO THAT NAV. If you get killed before you get to that nav you will have to come back to get it. If they kill you right after you get that nav It puts you right at the score nav. Just grab another hog and go. There are tons of ways to get thru that map just find the one that is best for you to get laps and most importantly on that map avoid fighting at the start. It only hurts your team.

BFM_CòóL IS CòóL!!! - Love, MiG

A CòóL ORIGINAL

If life has not scarred you, you have not lived it.

You Have All The Weapons You Need,
Now Fight!!

Ill give you a cookie if you can tell me what that last quote is from!!

Offline =Rival=

• Regular Poster
  • Cymru am Byth! :)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »
I agree with Sonic and Cool's tips, though there is one part that I do slightly differently.

When you come to the oil refinery (or 'The Pipes', as I call them), take the right path as Sonic mentioned, but as soon ar you're past the last part of the structure, keep going at full speed and quickly turn to the left, so that you just miss a large rock to your left. When you're about halfway past the rock, turn back to the right, so that you glide over the lower 'lump' to follow the path to the second jump.

Done correctly, this will shave a few tenths off your time, you won't flip over, and most importantly, there's no need to slow down at all! Foot (or is it finger?) down all the way!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 10:08:22 AM by =Rival= »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
In case anyone didn't see it, iTaL¡C asked if it's legal to go around the back of the base and come up from behind the other side, but Elvis says no.  I do (did) that all the time.   :sigh: Oh well.

http://www.bfmracing.net/forums/index.php/topic,15436.msg110835.html

thanks for the tips

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is uncertain, Death is not
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:17 AM »
Yes I saw it and elvis is right it is going away from a nav to intentionally kill. sry

BFM_CòóL IS CòóL!!! - Love, MiG

A CòóL ORIGINAL

If life has not scarred you, you have not lived it.

You Have All The Weapons You Need,
Now Fight!!

Ill give you a cookie if you can tell me what that last quote is from!!

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »
Yes, with my method you would not be creating an opportunity for your gunner to get unfair kills unless it was a mixed spawn, in which case you're better off just driving out of there as fast as possible.  The whole point of backing up a bit is to  get your hog out of the line of fire from other rocket hogs at the other side that will likely be firing in your side's general direction.  If you back up/wait, you will usually avoid just driving right into one of their rockets before you even see it coming :P  I type this because I realise that my method sounded too close to the illegal thing that elvis mentioned, so I just wanted to clarify :)
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Offline Grim Oswald

• Newbie Poster
  • Witticism is just Wit and Ticism put together.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 07:17:59 AM »
I must say, your description of handling "Fat Man's Squeeze" has helped a lot! I was playing Infinity quite a bit today and was consistently getting 100's because of it, which had previously evaded me. Thanks a bunch! :toot:

Still working on the double digits though...:P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 10:37:12 PM by BFM_Grim »
Grim is the ultimate BFM!!!
I wouldn't go so far as to say that Grim is the best BFM ever... but he's definitely in the top one.

Grim Oswald: Types too fast to be human. :D

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 07:54:06 AM »
I shaved a bit off my record!

98.34 is my new record! (used to be 98.72  ;D )

Thx guys!

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:05:48 AM »
98!?!?  whoa, where do you live again??

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 09:18:09 AM »
 ;D my brother still wont believe I can do it etheir  ::) I live in Louisiana!  :yesyes: the bayou state!  :toot: dont worry, I had an under 100 ping when I did it, on your servers too!  :keke:

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:40:45 AM »
I've found that for the bottle neck canyon that if you tap your spacebar to break slightly when you enter it you still keep your momentum without running the risk of rolling over.

Offline ßlitz

• Junior Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:46:21 PM »
I've found that for the bottle neck canyon that if you tap your spacebar to break slightly when you enter it you still keep your momentum without running the risk of rolling over.

I didn't know the spacebar was a brake. Learn something new everyday....

Thanks to Neo for this awesome sig!

Offline Snake 3-1-3

• Senior Poster
  • Snake 3-1-3
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »

i loved infinity since i played on it when i havent internet,  its one of my favorite maps ( i like death island too )   i always

do the lap about 100  101 secs in my own server  so thx for the tips
 :neckbeard:

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 02:35:40 AM »
I shaved a bit off my record!

98.34 is my new record! (used to be 98.72   )

Thx guys!

Warper!!!

98.3 is about the ABSOLUTE BEST time possible on this map without lag. Thuogh ratboy keeps insiting is 97.5 was no lag :p

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 04:38:11 AM »
i INSIST I didn't lag... but I wont have it again, it was just a great map. I can give you regular 99's though, and can get below 99 once every cycle to the map if i dont die alot!  :haw: but.... I.... DON'T..... lag....  ;D

Print