Print 

Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus: The Good, the Bad and the Awe Struck  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
Well, since all of the new releases of games for Spring were rather disappointing (except GTA IV, and even though I'm not a GTA fan I may have to pick that one up) I ended up dusting off my PS2 and popped in an oldie but goodie, and also probably one of the best video games ever made, period. For those of you that may have heard the name "Shadow of the Colossus" images of sweepingly beautiful landscapes and Golem like monsters hundreds of meters tall come to mind. For those who have a PS2 and don't have this line up here to be beaten... I mean this should inform you about what is in the game, and why it has received such high praise world wide.

SYNOPSIS

Is it a dream, or are you watching some grand movie, or is it both? The game begins with a lone warrior traveling along a precarious path with a large bundle draped over the shoulders of his steed. The colors are washed out and oddly soothing as he enters a large open valley, connected to the rest of the world by a single stone bridge that extends to a monolithic temple miles in the distance. As the warrior makes his way down the seemingly endless spiral stairway into the heart of the temple a feeling of uneasy foreboding makes itself known in the haunting string music that echoes the warrior's lonely journey. As he brings the bundle to the altar of the temple the blanket around it falls away to reveal a lifeless young woman, but who is she? With loving care he lays her body on the altar as shadows in the shape of men rise up from the floor behind him. Brandishing a mystical sword, the warrior raises it high, causing the shadows evaporate, but a deep and ethereal voice from the sky above addresses him. It knows why he has come, to bring the woman back from death, but that the price for such a miracle will be painfully high for him. The warrior cares not, for saving her is the only thing that matters to him. To fulfill the demands of this deity or demon, the warrior must slayer 16 Colossi that roam the land. And thus the story begins.

THE GOOD

Considering that this is a PS2 game from later 2005, it is strikingly beautiful in both presentation and design. The world you encounter is completely free-roaming with neither loading screen nor checkpoint as you ride across the strangely empty landscape. Ruins of shrines, cities, palaces, and things I can't even describe dot the land, but all seem to have been abandoned for centuries and are slowly being overtaken by their environment. Small black lizards scurry about the rocks and the plains while doves and hawks soar in the skies above, but almost nothing else seem to inhabit this land and for good reason too. Hidden among the ruins, the plains, lakes, and mountains are giants made of stone and earth destined to guard this forbidden land from all invaders.

Each has its own unique personality. Some will attack you on sight, other will ignore you unless provoked. Some fly, others swim, climb walls, burrow in the ground, shoot ball lightning, or try to pulverize you with fist, club, sword, and hoof. To find them you raise your sword high and let the glint of the sunlight off it point the way. You will get five beams of light that will converge when you are facing the right direction and point directly towards where these monsters lie. On the same token, the sword also exposes the runes in the beasts that must be stabbed to bring these monsters down.

In order to do this you must first figure out how to get onto the colossus without being pummeled into a red smear in the sand and then hold on for dear life as you climb your way across it. Some have minor weak point that must be stabbed to cause it to lean over, or drop it's weapon, while others have armor that needs to be broken in order to expose their control rune. Each requires the player to think on their feet as time is not on your side with many of them. In some case (such as the final one) climbing the Colossus is the easy part, the hard part is actually approaching it as it hurls ball lighting at you whenever it sees you.

To reach them you must climb, swim and ride your horse across a land of open plains, deserts, treacherous mountains, deep water lakes, and dense forests. What surprised me most was the lack of loading screens while riding from area to area. Like the new game Assassin's Creed, if you can see it you can travel to it. It's almost daunting when you realize just how big the world really is and many places require you to ride your horse at a full gallop in order to reach in a timely manner.

On the topic of your horse, named Agro, he is probably one of the best game side-kicks in a long time. He is loyal, brave, easy to control, and won't let you kill yourselves by jumping off a cliff. Some have commented that he is probably the most accurate simulation of a horse in video games to date. Not being a rider myself I wouldn't know, but I do know that he's probably one of the best and brightest horse I've seen in a game before, bar none.

THE BAD

There are no other enemies other than the Colossi, well except for the passive white tail lizards you hunt to increase your grip gauge, and the fruits hanging on trees for health. For those who are looking for a Legend of Zelda like experience where monsters attack you as you try to reach each boss you'll be disappointed. You only have to face off with each Colossus, which can be challenging and fun, but some of them require some very quick thinking and for you to keep a close eye on your grip gauge, less you fall off. You also have only two weapons to use; your sword and your bow. Mind you, once you complete the time challenges you get upgrades, ranging from arrows that whistle or explode, to a sword that destroys the rune in one stab, but its not that big of a change.

The plot itself is rather vague, and does require the player to infer quite a bit from what they see, hear and read. To its credit this adds quite a bit to the dream-like quality of them game, however some people might not get the very subtle hints and details.

Sadly, the replay value is limited, because there is only normal and hard mode, with only the time attack modes in each. You can play through in order to build up your grip gauge in order to access the secret garden on the top of the main temple, but that requires about 4 play-throughs in order to do it.

THE UGLY

Some of the Colossi can be a little scary for children (a few made me jump when I saw them), and when stabbed they release a geyser of black 'blood'. Other than that it's a T rated game and is well suited for 13 year olds to adults.

CONCLUSION

If you only like twitch-fest M rated games like Halo and Gears of War then you probably won't like Shadow of the Colossus. However if you like something that is different from the rest, visually and emotionally deep you should look at either renting or buying this one, as it's around $20 at most retailers. Personally, I highly recommend it for anyone who is tired of the same old games being made by developers and are interested in a game that can honestly be called art.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:38:52 AM by BFM_Gryphon »

Offline BFM_Boredom

• Captain
Re: Shadow of the Colossus: The Good, the Bad and the Awe Struck
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
That game was awesome. I would go back to play it from beginning to end just to relive it. You should also try ICO. Even though it was released 3 to 4 years before Shadow, it was actually the sequel.
[img

Offline BarbeBleue

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »
Wow, nice review Gryphon!

that game amazed me too when I played it!
never completed it ( it was a game rental) and now my ps2 is broken :'(

but what a game, the graphics and gameplay really did stunt me by it's originality.

Definetively one of those you want to try!
Barbe  - french for Beard
Bleue - french for Blue

might also remember me as Shakur

Offline Gryphon

• Regular Poster
  • If you hear the roar, it means it's too late.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »
That game was awesome. I would go back to play it from beginning to end just to relive it. You should also try ICO. Even though it was released 3 to 4 years before Shadow, it was actually the sequel.

Actually, ICO got me interested in Shadow. Once I heard they were making another one, I had it preordered the second it went up on Amazon. They NEED to do another one, imagine the possibilities with this Gen on platforms.

Offline BFM_Boredom

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:27 AM »
It's verified that Team ICO is working on a title for the PS3. Whether it's a sequel to ICO or Shadow is still to be determined. I'm just hoping that it comes out soon.
[img

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:37:28 AM »
*Lines up to be beaten*

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print