Print 

Author Topic: How To Host Halo Games (Answered)  (Read 2401 times)

Offline WaTy™

• Posts Too Much
  • WaT-WaT-WaT, WaTy
How To Host Halo Games (Answered)
« on: August 11, 2007, 09:40:21 PM »
when i go to host a game and my friedns try to join it says unable to join server......
does anyone know how i can change my ip address or something so i can host games
thanks ....
post here or pm me please.

-WaTy

EDIT: i have a wireless router as well.....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 04:37:42 PM by BFM_WaTy »

Offline Maze1

• Newbie Poster
  • i now walk into the wild. <-- best movie
Re: How To Host Halo Games
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:17:49 AM »
yeah a lot of ppl have this problem and i had it too, u have to open ports, for this maybe this can help

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

but i think to do the port forwarding u have to have a static ip address

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_configure_my_static_ip_address.html

my computer is connected directly to my modem not a router so i just put my modem on bridge mode and it allow others to connect to my computer, but if i have my modem  in routing mode it blocks the traffic, so i cant host games if i have it on routing mode

but i think u should just call ur internet provider on what to do.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 12:30:05 AM by {HM}Mäzë »

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:22:43 AM »
Most internet providers would hang you if you tried hosting game servers (or any server for that matter...) on their connection without buying a premium package to increase your bandwidth.  Did you get this fixed?
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 09:40:50 AM »
So, you HAVE to have a static IP to host a dedicated server? Or is that just if you want it to be on constantly?

Feijoa Freddd

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:26:55 PM »
So, you HAVE to have a static IP to host a dedicated server? Or is that just if you want it to be on constantly?
If it is a dedi you must have a dedicated static IP (otherwise how are your guests going to find you if the old one is no good?).  If your dedi is NOT going to be on all of the time, and you only want your friends to play, then you can simply give your friends the new IP address each time (of course it wouldn't be considered a dedi server since it isn't).
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 06:47:15 PM »
Okay, thanks for the help Chaindog, and sorry for stealing this thread. You can have it back now Waty. ;D

Feijoa Freddd

Offline Contact

• Posts Too Much
  • You will give my Hoggie back!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 01:13:23 AM »
No you do not need a static IP to host a game, you can use a dynamic one.
Your port forwarding is very straight forward with most routers.
In Australia we normally do not have an issue with hosting servers from 'home' accounts.  You will just end up paying a lot more if you exceed your bandwidth limit.
WaTy - probably easier to get with me on vent and I can talk you thru the setup.

Cheers
Contact

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: How To Host Halo Games (Answered)
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:24:15 PM »
I gotta post this now that that's said:

In the US virtually EVERY MAJOR ISP has language in your contract that forbids "hostings services" of ANY sort.  If they find you doing so they can terminate your account then and there.

However, most do NOT take any action other than blocking the port(s) involved or throttling your allowable # of simultaneous connections.

Ex: Comcast has been on the warpath against bittorrents for over a year now,  and blocks the default torrent ports on virtually ALL of their accounts.  In addition there MAY be evidence of them port-sniffing accounts for bittorrent servers on customer's accounts!....  :cop:  >:(

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print