Print 

Author Topic: Rule Questions  (Read 982 times)

Offline -Rammstein-

• Newbie Poster
Rule Questions
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »
To whom it may concern,

After racing here and there over the past month, it seems I've hit a snag with some other players, and so here I am to get some clarification  :zoot:

Please, do note that almost all of these questions are meant to be viewed as seeing another person doing it, and how I'm supposed to react.  Even if every one of these questions is legal, you'll never find me doing it, as I personally feel it is wrong.  I just need to know; when I see someone else doing it, I'd like the.... should I put it... the "satisfaction" of knowing I was killed legally. 

In each situation, I'm going to put myself into the situation, just because it will be easier to clarify, and hopefully I can understand it easier  ::)

Question 1 )  Let's say I'm riding in the gunner position, with a driver and we are driving on Death Island, and my driver spills it, we get team-rammed, etc.  The basic point, both of us end up getting knocked out of the hog and have to run back to it.  During this, an enemy chain hog comes driving by us, peppering us with chain fire, and kill my driver before we get back to the hog.  In this situation, KNOWING my driver was killed, get back into my rocket/chain hog gunner seat and fire at that chain hog until they are out or range, and then get out and drive myself?

Question 2 )  Same scenario as above, but let's say the enemy hog coming around is a rocket hog.  Say my driver died upon impact when our hog went flipping through the air.  I live, and see the rocket-hog coming.  Can I view this as a potential threat, enter my rocket/chain hog and shoot at them until they are out of range, even without them firing a rocket at me?

Question 3 ) Let's say I die, and respawn at a base.  The second I spawn, an enemy chain hog is peppering me with fire.  Is it legal for me to... enter the gunner seat of a hog near-by (with no driver in sight) and kill the threat, and then proceed to drive off in my hog?

--- Now for some rather random questions  :smly_a_wink:

Question 4 ) I can only imagine how frustrating it can be at times trying to admin your servers.  I always try my best to make it easy for any administrators, but it seems I've hit another snag when dealing with rule-breakers.  Say the map is Sidewinder, and I come barreling to the base in my hog, by myself.  I come upon a teammate who is in a rocket hog, hog camping.. just waiting for an unsuspecting enemy to come driving past, so he can kill him.  What should I do in this situation?  Would it be more plausible to just leave that hog camper for the admins to deal with?  Should I just RAM! that hog camper with all my might (pun intended  d_b d_b)?  Or should I even go so far as to get out of my hog, and hop into the driver seat of the hog camper, and take us both on our laps?  Doing this last option, potentially eliminates the rule-breaker for ever getting caught, but then again it is also helping our team get more laps.  Seems I've almost answered my own question on this one, but just in case... I'll leave it here :).

Question 5)  I've seen it multiple times in a race... but never taken the time to ask anyone.  I often see someone on my team type "h" into team chat... and have never understood what in the world it means!  :-\
-Hark!  Hold up?
-Hallelujah a driver!
-Hi there teammate!

I'm honestly at a complete loss for what it means  :doh:

I've kind of been saving these for a while, so I wasn't posting them all over the place  :P

Thanks for the help, and would just like to say thank you for the amazing servers that you run.  There really is no race server like a BFM server  :keke:

-Rammstein-

-Mess with the best...  die like the rest-

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: Rule Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response, but that is a lot to deal with in one post...so here goes:

Question #1:  If you are already being fired upon it is indeed legal to use the gun of the hog to defend yourself just as you would any handheld weapon.  As soon as the threat is gone then you would of course have to then drive yourself.  A word of personal advice about employing this strategy though.  Over the years I have had several opportunities to try this when I knew it was allowed and I have come to the conclusion that most of the time it is actually better to stay on foot and there are many reasons why.  The trurrets of the hogs respond and even move slower than the Mastercheif does.  When you are in the hog you are litterally a bigger target than when you are on foot (try shoting a walker with a chaingun and then shooting him when he gets in a hog...you'll see what I mean).  When in the hog you remove your ability to throw nades.  Last but not least, think for moment how it could look to an admin...you should be willing to briefly explain a situation that can so easily look like camping...and that would just take that much mor time away from racing.  In short, this is something that I rarely do because it just does not work.

Question#2:  This situation is somewhat different.  Again you are allowed to gun from the hog if you are being fired at but you stated, in this situation, that the hog was not firing.  It is reasonalbe to assume an oncomming rocket hog is a threat, however if at some point it is obvious that they are not firing at you then you have to ask yourself "why am I still gunning frim a driverless hog?".  The reason you would have started gunning was because the oncomming rocket was a threat, if it is no longer a threat you should not continue firing until they are out of sight..you should get back to racing as soon as the threat is gone.

Question#3:  Just like the other situations....yes it is legal but I would not do it for all the same reasons stated above.

Question#4:  You ended up with the right answer on this one...you can also briefly comment to the admins what you saw and we can watch that player for it in the future.

Question#5:  When you see an "h" in hog chat (not usually team chat) it is simply a way the gunner has of letting the driver know who he has on his gun.  The "h" does not stand for anything, it is just that the quickest way to get your name to appear in hog chat is to hit "h" twice and hit enter.  That way your name shows up in hog chat...letting the driver know who his gunner is and letting you get back to gunning asap....that is all it is.

I hope this helps...feel free to ask anything whenever you get the chance, a lot of other guests benefit from these questions as well, so they are always welcome.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline -Rammstein-

• Newbie Poster
Re: Rule Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:51:45 AM »
Thank you very much!  :winkgrin:

That definitely helped to clear some things up, so thanks for taking the time to respond  :)

-Rammstein-
-Mess with the best...  die like the rest-

Print