Print 

Author Topic: What do parents think about excessive Halo Play?  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Wic

• Posts Too Much
Re: What do parents think about excessive Halo Play?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »
Well, I'm a parent, one of my sons is in BFM (as a lot of you know  :smly_a_wink:) and the other one is an avid gamer too... but we all have hobbies and interests offline as well.  Some days we spend a lot of time on, some days not at all.  They govern themselves and always have - but then they are in their early 20's.

All I know is that computer games and online gameplay gave the 3 of us a way to connect and spend time together when their dad and I split up.  I watched them play and started myself so I could join them and its taken off since then, lol.  I'm not quite sure where we would be if we hadn't found that common ground to have fun together on.

To me, its all in the attitude of the player.  I could see a youngster getting too hyped or obsessed over these kinds of games and needing to be limited, for sure.  But I don't see anything wrong with them either...  providing parents are watching and recognizing how it affects their child.   School or work should never suffer because of it, thats for sure!

And a clan like BFM is so much more than just an online computer game... its socializing with people from all walks of life from all over the world, all ages!  I think that part of it broadens the horizons of anyone who participates and can be nothing but a good thing.  :yesyes:

(And I didn't vote as there isn't an option for parents, lol)

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 06:31:50 PM »
yes, anytime I dont do what they asked for  or I get a low grade they blame it all on halo!  ::)
agreed

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline Jam

• Junior Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 07:07:34 PM »
Thankfully my wife is pretty understanding that I need to play some, but it's all about balance.  When I was growing up my parents were workaholics, so they didn't pay much attention to how much time I spent on the computer.  I played probably 3 hrs every day after school for a couple years- until I became a wrestler in high school.  I think the main thing is that people want to feel important, so when you spend more time with a machine than them, then it doesn't make them feel desired.  Try buying your mom some flowers every now and then- they always like that  :angel:

-Jam

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »
Awhile ago, when Skorcard was up I was a hardcore halo player. My grades weren't slipping but my parents could feel that it would soon if I continued to play as much as I did. So they said no halo on weekdays. At first, that like killed me. I had nothing to do on weekdays. But now, I've turned into a forum junkie. I never play Halo on the weekdays. I think that my parents have forgotten about the whole weekdays things. It's just become a thing that I don't play on weekdays. You will rarely see me on vent during weekdays. (But when you do, I'm on forever :P)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 21:10:59 by Boot's wife »

:cawg:

:cawg: :cawg: :cawg:
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Ghostly Shotz

• Junior Poster
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 07:20:45 PM »
My mom hates the computer

My first sig!

Arya's awesome sig! I love it!!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

(\(;,;)/) This is Vampire. Copy and paste Vampire into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
  • I'm in your base, killing your mans.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
Well, they know I play it. They don't really care about the game itself, but they think its a waste that I play it at all. Even if it was just an hour a day, they'd still think its not worth it... its probably not, but its tons of fun ;D.

Offline Danger

• Junior Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
My mom doesnt really care, i usually make honor roll

Offline AR~Unit»Zero

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
They think it's a waste of time and I'm too old to still playing computer games.

Same here for the most part, but their opinion on the subject is inconsequential to me.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »

They absolutely HATE it  x 3 ??

ouch

LOL! Yup!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 21:10:59 by Boot's wife »

OK. I just burnt that quote in my memory for the rest of my life. THANKS Boot! ROFL!!!

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 10:46:29 PM »
They think it's a waste of time and I'm too old to still playing computer games.

I pulled out my Ouija board and asked them and that's what they said....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Atroxide

• Junior Poster
  • Alias: TexasMd91
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 12:25:03 AM »
My parents hate that I am always on the computer, but they know that it is my life. Not only do I game, but I am a graphic design and Programmer. (Starting to head alot more toward Programming.)

Computer Games is what all started me into my future career (Programming). I learned basic bbcode (pretty much a simple html with limited features) from a runescape clan site. I learned about photoshop and graphics while trying to create a signature. Then I slowly starting creating websites. But that wasn't enough for me, I Started learning PHP (First Language) so that my sites are more advance and are easily manageable (Header/Footer files, variables, etc. :P). Now I am learning advance PHP and I am pretty much a pro at HTML/CSS/JAVASCRIPT.

Gaming does have its negative effects. But as long as you keep control of it you can balance it. And maybe even get more from it like I did.

I can say 100% that I would not have a future in programming if it wasn't for video games.
Alias: TexasMd91

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell, Commissioner of the United States Office of Patents, recommending that his office be abolished, 1899.
"Heavierthanair flying machines are impossible." Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895."
"There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom." Robert Millikan, Nobel Prize winner for physics, 1923.

Offline Bonessi

• Newbie Poster
  • That's me in real life...
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 05:55:27 AM »
it all depends on the person i guess. how well  you can do with the rest of your life while leading a virtual halo life as well... hahaah
Get Racing!

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 09:45:45 PM »
They think it melts your brain.

I don't know why they're concerned. That happened years ago.  ::)

Offline Draucus

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is more than the sum of it's parts.
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:47 AM »
My parents think I play halo basically only because I want to.  That is not true.  I am on the computer for hours, because there is nothing to do.  I don't watch television, because i'm tired of watching re-runs.  I don't go outside and do something, because there is nothing to do outside unless my parents take me out to do something.  Yes, I have a bike, but I can't bike anywhere interesting.  I am not going to ride my bike in the middle of the road.  I would love to play soccer this year, but I chose to go camping instead, because I love camping.  I am more of an outdoor person if there is something I can do outside.  I do not have any friends where I live what so ever.  Plus, they also blame everything I done wrong on halo.
Mainly my mom... ::)

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline RUSTY0

• Junior Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 07:03:16 AM »

I'm kinda like Wic in that its something my son and I share as I'm a single parent. And it's not just Halo. He's
about to turn 10 and he's had access to a comp and broadband since he could figure out how to get to a site
and that was 4 yr's old. By the time he's 18 he'll  be able to use a comp as naturaly as he breathes and I think that will be a definate advantage. Now dont get me wrong, I insist that he learn everything the old way too.
like the classic fastfood checker that cant make change when the register goes down.
  As far as time spent on Halo and other games, homework before anything most the time. And he usually wont play for more than a couple of hrs. It tickles me that he'll make his friend go outside to play. His friends
a yr younger and totaly obsessed with Halo. I literaly have to pull his hands from the keyboard and make him go. His dad dosent understand comps much and is scared the kids will destroy theirs, so the kid comes over here to play. Very sad, that kid will be at a disadvantage later. As in everything never forget balance.

Print