Print 

Author Topic: *FIXED* Network Connection Lost  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
*FIXED* Network Connection Lost
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »
I started getting this error very recently, "Network Connection Lost" when I'm only about 30 seconds to 1 minute into a multiplayer game I join. The only thing I had done with my router before this was turn on my UPnP to enable NAT and the Xfire Voice Chat and Join Game functions. When my network connection is gone, my wireless card completely loses connection and I have to completely restart my computer. This was already annoying as it is, happening every hour or so of gaming, but now it happens everytime I play Halo. I recently performed a System Restore on my PC, completely reinstalling Windows XP, so no chance of a virus or any other malware.

I am not running any other software while playing Halo. The only thing I have on usually is Xfire, but it happens even with that turned off!

Occasionally, this also happens while browsing the internet!

And this is ONLY on my computer, so it is not my DLS's fault. It might either be my wireless card or my router. It was working fine for all this time (2 years). This just starting happening very recently. I am using a Netgear Router and a TrendNet wireless card.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Rypto
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:38:03 AM by BFM_Brick »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Network Connection Lost
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:54:33 PM »

Before you start tweaking things or un/installing stuff, be sure to reset all your network devices and confirm that the problem still exists.

Network device shutdown sequence:
[Note: "power down" will often involve unplugging the device....]

0) Power down all computers connected to the inter-network.
1) Power down all hubs/switches connected to the router device.
2) Power down router device.
3) Power down modem device.

Wait a full minute....

0) Power ON modem device.
Wait a full minute.
1) Power ON router device.
Wait a full minute.
2) Power ON all hubs/switches connected to the router device.
3) Power ON all computers connected to the inter-network.

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I tried that, but it did not work. It gives my the Network Connection Lost the same time into the game everytime. I have no idea why. My internet is really fast while browsing and always has Excellent signal.

If someone can help me, I would really like to play Halo again.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »
perhaps something is interfering with your connection.  like another device connecting or a different device that gives of signals of the similar wavelength.  or perhaps something is blocking Internet traffic while playing.  make sure that any Internet security program you might have is not blocking halo and has a rule for the game. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 10:18:34 AM »
Carl - thanks for the advice.
So I went to the properties of my Wireless Internet adapter.
I found something new, a QoS Packet Scheduler.
I turned that off, but still no luck. I turned off my antivirus/firewall as well, but still no luck.

It would help if I knew what the problem was. If it is my wireless adapter, then I might be able to get that changed, but if it is my router, then I might have to change some settings. If its my computer, I don't know what to do  :huh:

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 10:35:12 AM »
well you can blow up your computer and salvage some parts and put it back together, you could kick and punch the wireless router/adapter, yell and scream at it till it works, play some sports with it, or use it as a fire starter, that might fix your problem.  or you can just make sure everything is connect properly like for example if it is a PCI wireless card, make sure it is in all the way, or if its a universal serial bus (usb) plug it into a different port.  so pretty much just check your connections. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 09:06:10 AM »
All the connections are pefectly inserted. It only happens for Halo, not any other game.. so yea..

Still looking for some help  :huh:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »

Well, you mentioned that you'd recently turned ON UPnP in your router device.

Try turning it back OFF, and manually setting the port info (as a test) to see if that had something to do with it.

I have a router that was working fine for years now, and it went (slightly) "screwy" after I enabled it's UPnP capability (which is a potential security hole, BTW) in order to use the more advance feature of Azureus (bittorrent.)

All got better when I turned UPnP back OFF and used manual settings....  :sad:

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »
Okay so I turned the UPnP off, but it still happens, but how exactly do I manually set the port info? What I did a while back was just use the Port Forward settings on my router and add ports 2302 and 2303 for Halo.

What else should i try?

Offline Pynk Dude

• Posts Too Much
  • Yea I'm Pink...so what?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51:04 PM »
Is your computar up-to-date...like withen a few years?

Older computars may not be able to handle online gaming, and very easiely crash when trying to play with them

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
Yes, it has the latest version of XP, 1 GB RAM, good graphics, 250 GB harddisk, its fairly new.
But I can play Halo with no problems. I just wouldn't be able to play new games like Crysis.

I have been told that there might be a Trojan that is interfering with my internet connection, so I'm scanning with Spybot at the moment.

But still any advice is very welcome!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »
Okay so I turned the UPnP off, but it still happens, but how exactly do I manually set the port info? What I did a while back was just use the Port Forward settings on my router and add ports 2302 and 2303 for Halo.

What else should i try?

If it still happens with UPnP off, then turn it back on and don't bother.

If you have fair/good AV protection, then I'm doubting the virus/trojan angle, based solely on the odds....

Strangely tho, I just thought of another one to try: Defrag all your drives. (You said that it only happens with on-line gaming, tho, so I didn't think of this at first, but after more thought that could still happen....)

Also, if you haven't tried checking your running process with TaskManager, I'd suggest that you do that.  You may have added that one more service that bumped your Commit Charge up high enough soas to cause system memory swapping to disk now....

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 07:42:29 PM »
I think I found out what is wrong!
Thanks to Ike from the [CV] clan.
My modem is losing something called block sync which causes my ping to go from an average of 1 or 2 MS to 1500 MS all of a sudden after 10-15 seconds. I found it using the "tracert" command in command prompt. I ran the "tracert" with one of the dedicated servers on Halo. I used the first hop, which was from pacbell.net, my DSL provider. Then I ran "ping" to the IP from the pacbell provider site, and found out that every 15 seconds, it pings to about 1500ms when it should stay below 4ms.

So I must call my ISP, and they will have to fix the problem manually for me.

Thanks for all help everyone, and I should be running Halo properly (lag-free this time) in a couple of weeks!

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:58 PM »

Be sure to have - or be able to replicate - your stats/data for your ISP, or they'll just wave you off....

...And use the same stats to assure that they've fixed it!

Print