Print 

Author Topic: Search  (Read 2926 times)

Offline zetlandpeat / {HM}Zet

• Regular Poster
  • The Vikings are Coming - Up Helly Aa
Search
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
Is there another game similar to Halo you can play on line and is basic enough to enjoy from the start? I know that practice comes into it. I used to play Doom years ago, that was ok.

Thanx
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

TALL SHIPS RACE COMES BACK TO SHETLAND

I would like to be a glowworm, a glowworms never glum, it`s hard to be downhearted when the sun shines out your bum.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
Re: Search
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »
if you want to stay nostalgic like doom then i suggest starwars dark forces, streets of sim city, duke nukem, or quake.  these are old ones like DOS old. 

if you want more newer ones then may i suggest mechassault, ghost recon, quake 4,  if you have a hefty computer then perhaps gears of war, halo 2, or crysis. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline ToMaHaWk

• Regular Poster
  • Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »
I really enjoyed Unreal Tournament. They have a lot of different gametypes much like Halo does; it's just played at a bit faster pace.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:57:29 AM »
unreal tournament is one of the finest.  take halo, turn the gore up to 99 million enough that so when you shoot somebody their body explodes and can see their body parts bouncing on the ground, and turn up halo's speed by like 10, add some BIG guns, and there you you got unreal. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline ToMaHaWk

• Regular Poster
  • Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:12:32 AM »
unreal tournament is one of the finest.  take halo, turn the gore up to 99 million enough that so when you shoot somebody their body explodes and can see their body parts bouncing on the ground, and turn up halo's speed by like 10, add some BIG guns, and there you you got unreal. 

Well said! That's exactly what UT is like. :)

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 08:53:26 AM »
thanx guys

regards
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

I would like to be a glowworm, a glowworms never glum, it`s hard to be downhearted when the sun shines out your bum.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
Hehe yeah i just got hold of that program to be able to run DOS games on XP.
www.dosbox.com
Took a while to figure out the jargon but yeah...

Now playing Cyberdogs, Raptor, Corridoor 7, and of course GTA1&2 (which are free downloads from the rockstar website now!) stuff like that hehe.

Yep go for Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 Arena. *wispers* Go for Quake 3 Arena its well better.  ;D (Rivaling games). As already said they are faster paced (stupidly faster if you play the Quake 3 Railgun freezetag mod that i play, makes Halo a walk in the park actually lol)

There isnt much single player involved, or a campaign atall. Its all about sticking a bunch of guys in some arenas with some weapons. I recommend Quake 3 Arena not just for the gameplay but they did really well where multilayer is concerned as server admins and clans have an endless list of abilities they can do with their servers unlike Halo which is very limited in comparison, tis still going dead strong as an online game. Ive been playing this game since 1999 and never get bored.
www.lvl.com has an endless list of maps/arenas for Quake 3 Arena.
Proud to say some of my maps are up there and are frequently used for stunt servers.
Can change the colour of your name too! Cant do that in Halo.  :P :LOL:

Battlefield 2142 is another favorite. Nice wide open maps and various vehicles to drive. This game has a built-in rank feature so its about scoring points and up-ing your soldiers rank and getting upgrades etc etc etc. I love the game play.

Again, this is a game focused more on multiplayer. Theres not much as far as single player goes but there is a Single Player mod out there that allows more action.
Over 100 players in one server on a game like this? Not bad i think.

I still play doom. I go on the Coop servers mostly though. About 8 of us wading through endless waves of monsters in large open spaces hehe.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:36:57 PM by Octane »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »

Yeah, umpteenth vote for UT....

Gameplay is, well, adrenalizing!  (Get used to dying a lot/game!  :o )

ON-LINE gameplay, well, it's just crazy!

Also, I'll put in my 2c to say that the Battlefield series (any one of them) is NOT "basic enough to enjoy from the start!"  It is quite complex, and pretty-much requires tuning of the game settings (keys, sensitivities, etc.) to get any decent play that won't frustrate you.  (But if you DO venture into BF2 in any form, I highly suggest the AIX extension!  MUCH better game play!

Finally, if you're looking for "interesting gameplay," but necessary a First Person SHOOTER, I'd also suggest Portals!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:25:29 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:53:05 PM »
Looks like I'm the only one who doesn't like Unreal Tournament. From what I've played of it, the graphics are horrible for running on a newer machine (there were much better of it's time methinks...), there is way too much blood and gore (I can handle blood and gore - but it INTERFERES with gameplay...) and many weapons are either over or underpowered...(ie. Rocket launcher doesn't always kill in 2, let alone 1, shot with a direct hit...at least from my experience).

However from memory it is very customisable so maybe I just missed a lot of the better aspects of the game.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
The only time I really ever played Unreal was at school because some genius had an idea to hack all of the C:/ drives of every computer in school, installing Unreal on every one of them....

Needless to say, someone got expelled.

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »
Think ill stick with halo 4 now. Hate learning a new game.

Print