Print 

Author Topic: ***ANSWERED***video play back question  (Read 1683 times)

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
***ANSWERED***video play back question
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
hey,

does anybody know of ANY program that play AVI, convert AVI to WMV, or a place i can download a codec for WMP so i can play AVI in WMP.  thanks for any help

your friend
-Carl
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:02:46 PM by carl »
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
Re: video play back question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »
I'm not 100% sure if this is right.. But I know DivX player, plays most types of video files

~d3struct

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:33:24 PM »
DivX, and XviD are some popular ones. Then to convert AVI, try the application SUPER. They're website makes it extremely hard to find the downloads, but once you get there it's worth it.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:35:17 PM »
i am not the greatest fan of divX or XviD but if they are the only options i may try them.  thanks for the suggestions though.  if anybody has any other suggestions please do post them. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:49:31 PM »
I have WMP 11 and it plays AVIs - I don't know what AVIs I've actually played with it, but I believe they used the DivX codec probably, because I remember installing it way back.

Here are some links to info on AVIs and WMP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

http://www.updatexp.com/codec-for-windows-media-player-9.html

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 09:44:22 PM »
AVI isn't a format, but rather a container.

You will need to find out the actual codec in which the video is encoded before we can give you more specific recommendations.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »

Ya, it doesn't matter that your WMP plays AVIs, it matters that you have the correct codec to play them (on whatever player you're using.)

Different players come preloaded with different codecs, some of which can only be gotten separately for $$....

FYI: a while back I found a superb appliance for determining what codecs were used to encode stuff that I downloaded, so I could then get the proper codecs to play them!

It's the free Codec Information Appliance, and it will even suggest where to go to find the necessary codec!  (Suggestion: READ THEIR QUICK START!)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 05:33:46 AM »
according to the program MrMxy gave me it says my codec need to play my video is installed but when i try to play it it just freezes. 

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »
The best most simple and stable media player would be VLC player. It plays a large varity of different formats, pretty much every player under the sun plays .avi because it is the most widely used format, excluding rare encoded avi's. VLC is perfect for those rare formats and also formats such as MKV and OGG which can contain multiple audio streams. It is also one of the best for the newer H264 encoding as well as Xvid (but pretty much every media player under the sun plays that also). It also plays DVD's

You can download VLC player from here: VLC Media Player

My favorite I use is K-lite Mega codec packs Windows Media classic. I use it most of the time because it plays all the same formats as VLC can and also it displays Hardsub subtitles much more clearly then VLC is capable of. The pack contains lots of different codecs along with Divx software so you can convert formats to whatever. This windows media player classic and the combined codecs within this pack will probably plays more formats then VLC.

You can download here: K-lite Mega Codec Pack

I would reconmend you download both, so if you manage to find some video one program cant play you can use the other as back up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:55:59 AM by [Ć] Taipan »

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »
i have already tried VCL it doesnt work.  the codec i want to play is the XFR1 codec.

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »
hmmm there a chance that the video file could be corrupt?

Give K-lite mega codec a spin and if that doesn't work then WOW that is one extremely rare encode or a corrupted video file

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
question answered.  AE gave me the solution.  he suggested k-lite and i tried it and it worked.  i thank you AE and all the others that helped.  would an administrator ether put *answered* in the topic name (i don't how to do that) or lock this to avoid confusion. 

Print