Print 

Author Topic: "Helping out the admins" - Well put bfm_Kiwi  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
"Helping out the admins" - Well put bfm_Kiwi
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
re: admin-ing

• don't assume all guests understand the rules, be patient with them and don't be rude
  • say 'please' - 'please don't use the sniper rifle' etc.
  • don't get into prolonged arguments
  • don't warn about every single infraction, if possible ignore them and race, esp if admins are present
  • as Draucus said, let admins know WHO and WHERE  (red camping on bridge, 'xxxx' sniping at blue base etc.)  Saying xxxxx is camping! doesn't help much if we don't know where on the map they are.  If offender says 'No I'm not' don't argue.  The admin will be on the lookout.  Just leave it and race
  • get laps.  4 laps + pointing out rulebreakers = impressive.  0 laps + complaining about rulebreakers =  ::)

Wow, I just had to quote this and comment in a new thread so as not to highack someone else's thread. This is just dead on no matter what server you are on and I have got a long rant coming so if you want you can stop reading here with just the simple complement to bfm_Kiwi's concise summary.

The constant complaining and whining that some players do just really ruins the game for me some nights. I am not talking about people complaining about the rules - they do not like the rules they are free to leave or feel the boot. I am talking about those of you who are trying to play by the rules and will not be quiet about others on the server. This ranges from the person who cries wolf every time he is killed to the person who honestly thinks he is helping out, but is calling every single little infraction. Leave it to the admins. It is ok in my opinion to point out once the "Who, where and what" on the person who is repeatedly or blatantly breaking a rule to bring the issue to an admins attention or when on BFM servers and you want them to notice you as a prospective recruit. Repeated complaints, however, just ruins the race for everyone, makes the admin's job harder and certainly does not make you look good in anyone's eyes.

And not just speaking of BFM servers here as it happens everywhere (read that again before any offense taken by anyone in particular) but Kiwi's comments really apply for admins too, which is what I think was intended. 99% of halo players at this time are well aware of typical race server rules and at least another 0.5% are lying when they say they are not. So if someone jacks your hog and you do not see them get right into it or team nades you and does not fire off an immediate sorry, there really is no need to start going hog-wild (pun intended) with the rules as it actually may have been a mistake. The tools usually quickly reveal themselves and if they do not, they are not really worth the sweat of wondering about it. On the same lines, while it often is pointless for a player to argue or rationalize their illegal actions, it is just as bad when the admin propagates things further. For once, if someone denies something, try just saying, "Ok, just letting everyone know the rules in case someone was not aware" instead of arguing what you "saw". They now have had their waring regardless if it was an accident or not and everyone feels better about it. No need to explain the kick if it happens again.

And finally, if there is no admin, please explain to me the point of saying anything at all? If you really do not think the repeat offender is not aware of the rules, I have some swamp land I would like to sell you. Assuming you are giving them the benefit of the doubt though, just a one time comment of what the rules are by one person is all that is needed. BFM are the only servers with "undercover" admins regularly and they are not supposed to kick if I am not mistaken. If it is really bothering you, go get an admin, there are many ways to on most servers. If no one is coming and it still bothers you, go somewhere else, there are a dozen or more active race servers at any given time. Me on the other hand, I see it as a little extra challenge to get around. I definitely comment on infractions on the various race servers when an admin is on, but other than the "Who, where and what", there is no point in taking it further.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
Re: "Helping out the admins" - Well put bfm_Kiwi
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:16:11 AM »
i like the way you think.  especially your last paragraph. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:27:58 AM »
Well said!

Offline Draucus

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is more than the sum of it's parts.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:43:17 AM »
Hey, look!!!
My name is in there! :P

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »

[...]

And finally, if there is no admin, please explain to me the point of saying anything at all?
[...]

Well, I may be alone on this one, but I do this, and I WILL tell repeat offenders even tho I know they are.

Why in the world would I waste my time doing this?

Because I'm on a campaign to get rid of the repeat offenders that intentionally enter servers w/o BFM Admins present.

I take screenies (okay, so now I'm actually video-recording (! yes, I really AM recording all of my racing!) of my warnings and their responses - which are usually something like "No BFMs, ******" - and use this against them.

I like to think that its helped keep the admin-free servers a bit more sane, but I have no way of telling.

I also like to think that enough ppl telling someone to knock off with the rule-breaking will either 1) get them to leave (not so for the real crazies...), or 2) continue to be jerks while myself or someone else gets a BFM in there and takes care of the problem. (I've seen many a time when the violator is SO wrapped up in being bad that they miss the BFMs entrance...  ;D )

Also, in some cases I will type my "accusation" in all-chat (if I'm on vent, and have mentioned the infraction to an in-game admin that can't or doesn't for whatever reason) put up a warning, just so that person knows that they've violated rules - and that there ARE rules. (Hey. I'm a part-time teacher, too, and I've learned that it's a bad idea to ASSUME that someone knows and understands something that is expected of them, and that others might already know.)

Finally: I will ALWAYS & ESPECIALLY do this for language violators! (But I will sometimes wait for their second offense, soas to nip a potential continuous tirade in the bud.)

Given the % of time that people reply "oh, sorry" or such I know that some of all that is being helpful....

Heck I've even met some of the people now on these forums this way!  :LOL:

'Just wanted to put in my 2c in addition to your excellent post, Forseti!

(And where have you been lately, bud?!?)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »
Well, I may be alone on this one,

As if i'd let you get all the fun.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
I take screenies (okay, so now I'm actually video-recording (! yes, I really AM recording all of my racing!) of my warnings and their responses - which are usually something like "No BFMs, ******" - and use this against them.
i do that too i take plenty of screenshots and i take vids as well.
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_dStruct

• BFM Admin
  • Australian ~ ~
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »
Great Job!! Very nicely written

~d3struct

Offline Pynk Dude

• Posts Too Much
  • Yea I'm Pink...so what?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »
I'll admit, I used to be one that complained a lot, back when I first got Halo and somehow stumbled into a BFM server  ::)

Back when I absolutly hated drving... :LOL: can you see me hating drving?  :P

Offline AR~Archon

• Senior Poster
  • No surrender, no retreat
    • MacFire (Xfire for Mac)
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »
Well said, Kiwi GJ!

As a guest on a server, I'll comment on specific rule violations a couple of times.  I'll only comment if I'm reasonably certain that's what happened.  Not every time you get run over / shot / naded / etc is chase killing or camping (or <insert-rule-here>).  Sometimes it's an honest mistake, sometimes people genuinely don't know the rules (new people), and sometimes people are just trying to make trouble.  If it's either of the former two groups, you'll usually get a "sorry" and won't have any more trouble from them.

Over time, though, I've come to the conclusion that, if they don't get the hint after a couple of comments, they never will.  They're just there to cause trouble.  So, I'll drop it and/or try to find an admin with power to enforce the rules.

Lastly, make sure you understand the rules yourself well enough before commenting on other players' behavior.  It doesn't help the situation if you keep accusing someone of breaking a rule they aren't really breaking.

Edit: Much of the above is only when there is no admin in the server.  If there is an admin, I'll try to avoid commenting unless I don't think the admin saw it.  It is the admin's job, after all, but they can't see everything.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:54:13 PM by AR~Archon »
The minstrel boy to the war has gone...
Understanding is a three edged sword.  Your side, their side, and the truth.
Who are you?  What do you want?  Why are you here?  Where are you going?

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 12:01:18 AM »
Excellent work Kiwi...If only you lived in Australia...::)

Great posts Kiwi and Forseti. Both of you have been around a long time to realise the ins and outs of adminning, and this is the EXACT thing we look for in guests. We love having guests that try to help admin, but it is even better if they race at the same time ::).

Mxy - Mxy has an obsession with rule-breaker catching :D ;) :P. I only reccommend do what he does if you have the time, patience and determination of this young whipper-snapper ::)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 01:22:50 AM »
Nice, Forseti--a super long post AND UNEDITED... You're my hero!

I look forward to the day that everyone is on the same page about rules.

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
Great posts Kiwi, Forseti, and Mxy, we need more people like you around here  :)

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »
Thanks all, went away for a little R&R after posting and just got back. Just would add that even when you think you got it all thought out, MrMxy always has a little additional useful insight to add. I will admit that it is rare for me to go get an admin for any server. The first rare exception is when someone else really feels the need for an admin and honestly does not seem to know how to get one as I have so many of you on my Xfire. The second is only on BFM servers, due to offensive language, as this truly is one of their strictest and most enforced rules and you can always tell when there is no undercover on when the bombs start dropping and just keep coming. And MrMxy does give the instance where there is a point to spouting off rules with no admin - when I know there are other reliable folks on who will get an admin, I have been know to, how should I put it, instigate a trouble maker a bit so that they do not notice when an admin come on. I usually only comment on how badly they are camping, sniping or how childish their insults are as well as act all "holier-than-thou" with the rules. Has worked a few times to distract them while an admin sneaks in but it has also backfired on me a few times making me look like the trouble maker.

Print