Print 

Author Topic: **FIXED** Random Turnoffs  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
**FIXED** Random Turnoffs
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:34:44 AM »
Before I left to go on vacation which was about 2 weeks ago my computer would randomly turn off while playing in game. It did it one day, did it the day after, then I left for vacation for two weeks. Today I got back and turned it on, was playing Halo and it turned off again in the middle of racing. I downloaded Speedfan, and my temp for my second Core starts at about 45 C, then as I start up Halo and start to play it goes to 65 C, and once it got there I closed Halo and it dropped to 50-55 C. I have a AMD Dual Core Athalon 5000+ CPU and I got this computer in December of 07 pre-made by HP at Bestbuy.

Any help on how to help this situation would help, or if I need to post more info, I'll post what I can.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:49:52 AM by BFM_Brick »

Offline Slayton V. Price

• Posts Too Much
  • Here we are, Juggernaut!!
Re: Random Turnoffs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:47:47 AM »
My machine was doing the exact same thing.  It got so bad that it wold run for 15 minutes and then turn off.  Turned out that I needed a new power supply, as the fan on the existing one was not working, at all.  I dont know if that is what is happening to you, but thats my experience.

Slayton

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 09:43:56 AM »
I just got a new power supply in March, the one before that I had before that ruptured and broke. :|

But thanks Slayton I'll take a look and make sure everything is getting power.

Offline gangster

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
is your computer a laptop

if it is check the surfce that you are putting it on

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:32:54 PM »

Three things to do about laptops that "shut down" for no reason:

1) Check cooling, and

2) Check cooling, and

3) Yep, that's right! Check cooling!

::)

Check that: Fan is running fine, cooling vents are NOT CLOGGED, you're NOT putting it on something that blocks airflow (even setting it on carpeting might do this...), and that you have the rear legs out (to lift vent area away from surface.)

Also, given the temps that you posted, and the fact that it's a hot-running AMD chip, I'd suggest the you consider geting a "cooler," too....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:03:37 PM »
It's not a laptop which I should of given earlier (sorry!)

I'll try removing any clogs.

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »
Turns out my processor drivers weren't installed.  :sweatdrop:

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:26:25 PM »
Also in your BIOS there is a temp shut off trigger. I have one of mine disabled because the sensor does not hook up right to my fans to show they are on, but unless you are sure that your fans are working and running, I do not recommend disabling it. On the other hand you might try increasing the shut off temp and see what happens. Mine even will shut off if the fan is not running - had to disable that one too for the same sensor issue. I have HUGE heat sinks in my systems with large, quiet and adjustable fans and a temp gauge on my desktop so I always know my temps and am not worries about the sensors being turned off. Higher temps like the ones you mention can also make the system run really odd too they are sustained, not to mention damage the system.

Print