Print 

Author Topic: Legal way to convert files from dvd into a playable format on computer?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Flops

• Posts Too Much
  • ...This floor tastes funny
I have 2 DVD's of the Auburn University Marching Band with various halftime and pregame shows that I'd like to post on the forums.  I can get the data off the DVD's easily, but I'm having trouble converting the file into a playable format such as wmv, mpeg, or flv.  Any suggestions?

(Note: If there's a way to easily sync the audio and video, I'd appreciate it.  I've tried one method with the VLC player but it took too much trial and error and the video quality wasn't good)

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
Re: Legal way to convert files from dvd into a playable format on computer?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 07:19:23 PM »
If this is a DVD that costs money or is copyrighted, then no, there is no legal way to show it to us as far as I know. Even streaming it off of YouTube would be illegal.

The a DVD you can buy in stores, your only allowed to make one other physical backup. You cannot distribute the backup nor can you show the movie to others that don't own it. Such as internet viewing. Having a friend come over and watch the DVD is a different story.

If it's a DVD that is not sold in stores and someone filmed it themselves, then it would be legal with the permission of the person that filmed it.

I have to say I also have trouble with this same situation. I got some video I want to show my friends but I can't get it off the DVD. Lol. It's like in a menu format.

Anyhow, good luck.

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
  • There's no place like ~/
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »
Actually, there is some open source software called Handbrake that will rip DVDs to mp4 format.  It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. 

As Ed said, there may be legal issues about posting it, but as far as ripping a backup copy of DVDs you own, Handbrake works like a charm.

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »
hmm, wiz, just d/l and gave it a try, but nothing is happening. They do not have any real instructions for it and I do a ton of home video creation and not new to it. My version I d/l does not even look like the screen shots they have for it either, though I think the screenies are for Mac. Can it be used for store bought DVDs for backup as well or is that illegal too?

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 01:10:32 AM »
When it opens, it should detect that you have a DVD in the drive.  If not, then it will ask you for a folder to point to.   
Once you have selected the DVD/Folder, you can select which title/chapters to rip.  It should automatically pick the longest title, which is usually the movie.
Select a destination directory and file, and click Start.  It should give a little status bar at the bottom.

I use it on Mac, so I'm not sure if the Windows version is different.

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »
Ya I guessed that was probably how it worked, but it did not detect anything for me unfortunately. The only disk I had handy was a store bought movie though. Maybe it does not work on the copyright stuff. I will try it on one of my home movies when I get a chance. It will be useful for that too since I have a sony device that automatically turns my canon dig cam movies into DVDs but puts them in DVD format so harder for me to edit them.

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 04:32:48 PM »
No, it works on all DVDs.  I have not had a DVD yet that it could not read.

Offline Flops

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
Handbrake worked for me!  Thanks WizzBang. ;D

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 06:32:39 PM »
Handbrake worked for me!  Thanks WizzBang. ;D

Are you using Mac or PC. I have been PMing Wiz and PC is not working or recognizing titles.

Offline Flops

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »
PC  ;)

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »
Bunny, you might want to check out the user forums on the Handbrake website.  I think you'll find a solution there.

Offline 99

• Junior Poster
  • Play To Win Or Go Home
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:45:40 PM »
I use a program called VIDEORA. It converts video to MP4 format. I also use QuickTime, but I found it isn't as easy to use. These are all available for PC or Mac.

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 09:06:15 PM »
Personally I use Movavi Video Suite 4.5 for anything like that. Converting videos etc. Its a trial but it can get you what you need for a few times :D works great.

-Tanger

When downloaded click Convert DVD's/Video at the top left. ;D

Print