Print 

Author Topic: New BFM server? :o  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
New BFM server? :o
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:23 PM »
Heya peeps,
This is open to anyone to put in feedback. I was thinkin of a new dedicated server that when i possibly become a BFM admin i could host a training/technique improvement server open to anyone of all skills to join a friendly enviornment where players can improve their skills without the heavy competition in normal servers. Feel free to comment!

Thank you Miserabilis!                                       Thanks a bunch Slayton!

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: New BFM server? :o
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Theoretically it's a good idea.  Here is a possible problem.  You say you want it to be open to the public and that you want it to not have as high a level of competition as "regular" race servers.  Well, I can tell you that we allow a tremendous amount of competition in our servers and still find it difficult at times to keep guests self disciplined enough to not have chaos.  To try and run a server where you force even less competitiveness than in "regular" servers is going to be next to impossible.  Once the guests come into the server they will do as they please and while you can feel free to kick any guest who is being too aggressive or not following your rules, that is time that you will not spend in "training mode"...and it may be a lot of time.  This is one of the reasons we have one server that is always locked down.  When our trainers want a place to teach some of the finer points of strategy, they can do it without worrying about having to admin.  You also have to take into account the fact that there is only so much training you can do in a calm server.  Real race servers are not calm!!  At some point you simply have to jump in there and get some "on the job training" in real life conditions.

So basically you have a very good idea.  Just be prepared to have to experiment a lot to find out how it is really going to work best to accomplish your goals.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
I wouldnt be more of a trainer than a mentor...lets see for example... We turn to the map Sidewinder... The cliff up to the 2nd nav is a daunting task to do... So, in this server you could do the cliff over and over again untill you get it! Without worrying about your rank or the teams rank or getting blown up or anything other than getting comfortable doing that cliff. Id be there giving that person friendly advice and tips as well as going up myself to show them how. This was spurred to me because i saw a member put themselves down because they couldnt race as well as others in the server, so this is a place where people could go and learn at their own pace.

Thank you Miserabilis!                                       Thanks a bunch Slayton!

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »
I understand what your saying too. But if you learn something like jumping straight on the base jumps in Timberland and then rocketing around the corners and getting a lap time of 45 seconds that helps when you can leave people in the dust. Or going over the bridge in Ice Fields, the mountain in Death Island, the tunnel in Blood Gulch. All of those i learned by constant practice in non competative servers (i learned blood gulch by a mentor in halo trial too!!) It could essentialy help alot of people race at more capacity and therefor increase the competitivity in normal race servers. It could also give a great impression of BFM on new racers. I admit there might be a bit of a struggle to keep order but if yot are really therd to LEARN AND IMPROVE there should be no problem. I know what rule i would be very strict on would be not being rude. "man you sux" would get a strict warning and next offense would be a boot. This would be in action because people go there to improve and are opening themselves to -

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »
- constructive critisism like "you cant do that correctly... Try this..." or "let me show you how its done" that would be okay but id prefer the second to the first. Anyone could play...from experts to beginners. I guess in the case of rules regular rules would apply. And in case of a rule breaker other than rudeness id go as it flows and take it to the best of my ability.

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
Bump :o

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:00:07 AM »
Sorry but I just don't know that there is much of a discussion here.  What you are describing is fine if you want to create one for yourself but as far as it being a "new BFM server" like your title suggests....well...it's not new.  That is exactly what we have always used our scrim server for when we are not scrimming.  That is why it is always locked down.  We have control over the environment and can do...well...basically anything we want or need to do, including training of many different types in both race and other game types.  We even use it to play around when a bunch of us want to stunt or other fun activities.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »
well...the key point there in the scrim server is "locked". Other people need a place to play around too. So why not host one from BFM? Couldnt hurt to try would it? If it doesnt work out it could turn into an extra racing server.

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 09:32:33 AM »
And we would have control over the enviornment. Just like you do in the regular servers. With less competitivity it would be EASIER because people arent getting ticked of at eachother

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »
As Booyah has said, you cant do this type of training without a locked server. I also would find it hard to do this type of training without Vent. I know the locked server is what is in your way.

Maybe we could get a couple of trainers to pick a day or two a month and help show some of the guest who are wishing to learn the moves you suggested in a locked server. The guest that would be allowed to join would be people asking to be recruited and havent gained vent access yet.  Again we have the problem of vent. Im really not sure if we can do this. Give me a little time to get with Booyah and our trainers. I do have an idea that might work but just not sure yet.

Offline Manticore

• Junior Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »
Okay Elvis thanks for even tadly considering it. I have basicaly said all i need to say in the above posts. But like before...it would be open to all. And not just trainers would be there. People who arent talented racers could get helpful tips and advice. Im not going to go into it and let you guys decide.

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »
As Booyah has stated, there is no way we can have a server thats open to all to play around in or pracitce in. There has to be someone who could kick out people who are just there to mess things up. These is also no way we would give rcon to anyone other than a BFM. I like the idea but I think it needs to be narrowed down a bit. We are working on an idea. We will let everyone know if we are able to pull it off. With that said the server would be locked and only accessable by people who are wishing to be recruited who havent gained vent access yet.

Print