Print 

Author Topic: comp problem (FIXED)  (Read 1844 times)

Offline RUSTY0

• Junior Poster
comp problem (FIXED)
« on: August 20, 2007, 08:35:53 AM »
      My cursors jumping all over the place and keyboard commands are keying themselves. Alls I've done is install call of duty. It affects Halo too, lots of lag,
delays steering racing ect. I'm tryed reinstalling Halo,no joy. I'm about ready to
just reinstall XP and wipe everything if I cant figure it out. Any idea's?

RUSTY0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:24:44 PM by BFM_Chaindog »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: comp problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »
I'm guessing that you have the "old" PS2 connectors for your mouse & kybd, yes?

If so, shut down your computer (because you should never un/plug a PS2 device while powered...) unplug BOTH PS2 devices, check that their pins are clean, and SNUGGLY plug them back in.

NOW power up, and $10 says your problem's gone....

(I'm guessing that this is a total coincidence that it happened with your installation of Call of Duty and is not SW/OS related at all....)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:44:07 AM »
Was this resolved for you?   (!
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline RUSTY0

• Junior Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 08:02:49 AM »

Well now I feel rather dumb.  After reinstalling xp and reloading everything, It finally occured to me that my keyboard(generic usb) was plugged into the ps2 socket with an adapter
that has to be 7-8 yr old. I took the adpter off plugged the keyboard into a usb socket taaaaaaaadaaaaaaaaa problem solved. Now I get to sit here banging my head on the desk, repeating (kiss) keep it simple stupid. I had't even started to think about simple mechanical
causes, thinking of course it had to be software. lesson learned.

Thanks all, RUSTY0

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: comp problem (FIXED)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

pls send the $10 to:

<insert charity of your choice!  ;) >

'Not so much KISS as it is "don't be distracted from the obvious by whatever you did to the thing recently."

Glad s'all better!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print