Print 

Author Topic: Just something I was wondering.  (Read 1183 times)

Offline -{Rook}-

• Newbie Poster
  • <3 Paramore
Just something I was wondering.
« on: August 17, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »
The other day in Infinity I had my driver blown up a few navs before coming to the "home" nav outside the base. As I was driving around the corner to this nav I see two green arrows of teammates and obviously decide I may have to pick them up if there's no other hogs there for them.

As I get round the corner I see they're engaged in a battle with an enemy. As I planned to do I parked my hog up next to them, in this process I managed to make roadkill of the enemy cos he was in my way. But on further thinking I'm trying to decide if that qualified as a "chase kill" because I suppose technically I should've been going to the nav and not my team mates (and not makign kills in the process), but it's just habit for me to pick up lone team mates so I took out the enemy in the process because he was an active threat to my team (but I suppose not to me or my hog).

Just wondering if this was a "legal" move or defined as chase, cos I see this situation a lot outside bases where my team mates are under attack and there is no hogs, am I ok to charge in and use my vehicle as a weapon to then pick them up, or should I carry on driving to my next nav. I've had a scan through the rules but am still unsure so thought I'd ask, I'd rather know so I don't end up doing this again. Thanks =)

-WZ

Offline -{Rook}-

• Newbie Poster
  • <3 Paramore
Re: Just something I was wondering.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
Just gonna throw a bump up, now I really shouldn't and should be more patient but I'm up to 60 views and this post is drowning on the second page.

I'm more certain now that the situation is indeed probably an illegal move but would just prefer clarification if that's possible.

Knowledge is power and all that.

Cheers.

-Rook

(EDIT: I should probably add that in the scenario I described my hog was the only one visible to the players, there were no other hogs nearby, empty or otherwise. Though I didn't know this until I got close to them.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:27:13 PM by -{Rook}- »

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »
Sorry, it was not our intention to keep you waiting this long.  Situations like this do fall in a "grey area" of the rules.  Each admin will have to decide, based on what they see, if it is out of bounds or not.  Some things that might make me decide one way or the other.  If the foot battle you decsribe is happening right on the score nav then I would not have any problem with making them roadkill.  If, on the other hand, you have to go off course (like around the side or back of the base) then I would say you probably shouldn't do that.  I mean that in both a "rule breaking" and a strategic sense.  It is chasing kills because you had to stop your racing progress to do it and it is also a strtegically bad move because instead of just the two walkers being in jeopardy now you are too.  If you just keep going you can at least continue racing but if you drive into the battle you have no guarentee you will get out alive and now half your team would be out of the race.  Also, with your team mates left of foot at the base with no hogs it makes it perfectly legal for them to hogjack an enemy hog that come by further helping your team to advace in the race.

So there is no absolute answer as to whether or not it's legal.  You just need to try think about the situation and do your best to keep moving the race forward as best you can while folowing the rules as honestly as you can.  Good question thanks.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline -{Rook}-

• Newbie Poster
  • <3 Paramore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yeah, it's something I'm more careful to consider now.
I'd only just started racing really when I posed the question.

When it comes down to questions of "moral compasses" I go with what I'd want to happen to me, I don't think I'd appreciate being flattened in that situation so now I'd avoid doing so to others where possible.

Thanks for getting back to me!
=)

-Rook

Print