Print 

Author Topic: End of the world as we know it??  (Read 10492 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
End of the world as we know it??
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »

Well, the time is here: The Large Hadron Collider begins testing Wednesday, September 10th. [ CERN (sponsoring organization) LHC site - Google - Wikipedia - Google News ]

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) cost US$8.8B (€6.2B) to build, and is buried more than 300ft under the Alpine foothills in a 17mile tunnel crisscrossing the Swiss-French border near Geneva.

When the giant machine gets going, the LHC will blast protons - a sub-atomic particle building block of atoms - at a velocity just shy of the speed of light, generating temperatures of more than a trillion degrees centigrade  (in teeny-tiny confined spaces - they THINK/HOPE!  :o :o ::) ) - WAAAY hotter than our Sun!

Each proton beam will pack as much energy as a Eurostar train travelling at 150 kilometres per hour.  The LHC is designed to create two such beams at once, sending them head-on into each other at their peak energy. (I.e. This version of the long-standing "particle accelerator" device is therefore AT LEAST an order of magnitude more powerful than any previous such device.... It will pack a wallop that some - scientists! - believe might:

- Rip a hole in space-time

- Create an (earth-ending) Black Hole

- Discover or prove the existence of extreme particles predicted by modern astrophysics

- Trigger any number of possible cascading failure situations with consequences running the range of "small poof" to "End of Existence."

- Run up HUGE energy bills!  :winkgrin:

So, now that you're "an informed person" on the subject, what do YOU think will happen when they fire it up??
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:37:10 PM by BFM_JANE »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline KØËHL£®

• Senior Poster
  • »Püre Intimidatiön²
Re: End of the world as we know it??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:49:48 AM »
LOL!

This is quite interesting, I haven't heard of this until today. Are they serious? I mean, do they [scientists] want to be taken seriously??? As far as I'm concerned it's just another outlandish experiment that will result in nothing but a large electricity/heating bill...or whatever it could be classified under.  ::) It'll be interesting to see what will REALLY happen, but I'm sure failure and a waste of time and energy is eminent.  :neckbeard: Surely no world-ending blackhole, even if it did create one, I HIGHLY doubt it'd be big enough to swallow earth and its moon.

Did a little more research on this after Mxy posted this, cuz it really sparked my interest. What they're trying to re-create is The Big Bang Theory. Good luck with that one, science dudes.

:thumbsup: ::) ::) :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:05:17 AM by BFM_KØËHL£® »
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body;
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting:
HOLY SMOKES! WHAT A RIDE!

KØËHL£® - Over and Out, 7-3's 8-8's

Offline Fralalala

• Regular Poster
  • This One Time I Was BFM_British...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »
Those out comes sounds terrible!
I wouldn't want to nearly die for the sake of a HIGHER energy bill.

Offline ((Kàkà§hì))

• Posts Too Much
  • か か し !!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »
Don't care...I'll be boarding up for Ike....grrrrr

THANKS  SLAYTON  FOR  THE  A W E S O M E  SIG!!!
http://ninjamouse.com - http://ninjamouse.com/images/Kakashi_sig24.jpg

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
Recently been watching various BBC documentaries on google vid  involving this experiment and the possibilities of outcome.

End Day, a BBC documentary was based around this particle acceleration. It goes through various global disasters. Such as mega-tsunamis, killer asteroids, global pandemics, super-volcanoes and then finally went onto "strange matter". A Particle Acceleration experiment which goes wrong and creates a new type of matter called a stranglet, which begins to consume and destroy all matter around it wreaking havoc on Earth's weather systems and atmosphere eventually leading onto Earth's destruction.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:57:43 AM »
I believe the sun does gazillions of these per second without any adverse affects.  So I don't think we'll get sucked into a black hole.

Offline panoze

• Posts Too Much
  • 棕榈 grower
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:59:22 AM »
All I can say is that I hope that Captain Jean Luc Picard and Commander Data are hovering around in the Enterprise so they can fix any distortions in the space time continuem! LOL j/k I don't know, I sure hope the earth does not go boom, but what can you do?   As long as it does not trigger the super volcano under Yellowstone I guess I'm fine with it.

I voted for tons of good new science.

They think it is safe:  http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR07.08E.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 12:02:52 PM by BFM_panoze »

Offline KØËHL£®

• Senior Poster
  • »Püre Intimidatiön²
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:36:45 PM »
^^! ROFL! Nice Sandoz
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body;
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting:
HOLY SMOKES! WHAT A RIDE!

KØËHL£® - Over and Out, 7-3's 8-8's

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »
for options i picked other.  yea sure this may make a few discoveries but what i think what will happen is this is guaranteed to make more questions about subatomic particles which will require more government subsidies to keep scientists and union tradesman flush with cash. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline Pynk Dude

• Posts Too Much
  • Yea I'm Pink...so what?
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »
so...Scientists are trying to Destroy the world...?  ::)

Offline Cr@zy

• Senior Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »
errrm a trillion degrees, uno question, HOW WILL a trillion degrees be contained, the melting point of amorphous (carbon based thingy) (top on the list i found) is only like 6 thousand degrees, HELLO, like melt hole problem much????

Thanks H@ngm@n Soooo much for the Awesome sig!

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
What will happen? I think they will create a resonance cascade, opening up a portal to a planet in an alternate dimention(see here).

I like that. What say you Mxy? We'll be able to come visit! ;D

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 06:25:08 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Although a few individuals have questioned the safety of the planned experiments in the media and through the courts, the consensus in the scientific community is that there is no basis for any conceivable threat from the LHC particle collisions.

That's all I wanted to know. The scientists may play with their big circle.

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 06:29:15 PM »
I doubt too much will happen other than, what some have some, failure and some discoveries. Not really worried about the world ending. Remind me of Y2K, though I was only 8 when all that happened. :XD:

:zoot:

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
Although a few individuals have questioned the safety of the planned experiments in the media and through the courts, the consensus in the scientific community is that there is no basis for any conceivable threat from the LHC particle collisions.

That's all I wanted to know. The scientists may play with their big circle.

Boys and their toys...:XD:

I just think it will be another major flop. Big $$$ for nothing. We'll see though.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print