Print 

Author Topic: Spore  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Gunner

• Junior Poster
  • When The Rich Wage War It's The Poor Who Die.
Spore
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »
Looked at it, looks interesting.

Any reviews from "Real People" like you guys who can tell me what its like, and if its worth getting? any bugs etc and is it online only?
"Sir We Are Surrounded!"
"Excellent! Now We Can Attack in any direction!"

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
Re: Spore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 12:38:42 AM »
I have heard that there is a couple of stages of the game that are too quick, and that they don't involve enough activities.  The space stage and the 3rd stage...can't remember what it was. Other than that it got a really good review from my friend.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Max

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
You can only install it 3 times... lame.

Offline Cr@zy

• Senior Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 06:49:51 PM »
what is this game that ppl speak of link to it maybe plz, pm?

Thanks H@ngm@n Soooo much for the Awesome sig!

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:45:04 AM »
You haven't heard of Spore??? :o :o

www.spore.com

@Max

Yeah. I totally agree. Any game that limits the amount of installations available to you is NOT worth buying IMO. I uninstall/reinstall things all the time.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:00 AM »
Also, don't buy as a "family computer" thing - apparently you're only allowed one game account per registration key.
A game that you're effectively renting (3 installs) is not a good option, especially if/when EA's servers go down at some unspecified point in the future, meaning nobody will be able to activate installations.

Not interested myself; DRM, lack of depth. In fact, because of the overly-restrictive DRM on this game (which, like so many of these things, actually harms regular law-abiding users FAR more than it harms the pirates), I will probably think twice about buying any EA games in future. I refuse to buy from a company that inherently doesn't trust me.
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline Gunner

• Junior Poster
  • When The Rich Wage War It's The Poor Who Die.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 09:33:05 AM »
You can only install it 3 times... lame.

really!?

well i wont be buying it. cheers for the info guys. I have lost a lot more respect of EA now. they royally screwed up red alert 3 too :( Silly Multinational Corporations after lots of monies
"Sir We Are Surrounded!"
"Excellent! Now We Can Attack in any direction!"

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »

FYI: yes, you're only allowed ONE login account per game purchased - I didn't know about the limitation of three installs, tho.  (But read on!...)

The limitation on the login is NBD, actually, because you can initiate MANY separate characters from that one install/login.  I.e. Each member of your family can create their own (set of) character (profile(s)) to play.  (As far as we've seen, the actual NUMBER of character "profiles" you can create on any one account/installation may be unlimited: Each time we've created a new character, a new slot for another character has opened....)

As for the # of installs: That might simply be the # installs over a certain time period you know....

In any case, we've installed it twice, once on each of two different computers.  (Of course, only ONE of them can be logged in at any given time....) It appears that your character profiles are there when you log in, but none of your game STATE is available!  :-\  (I.e. It knows about your character and it's state, but the environment you have on the "first" machine in which you played is totally absent. Put another way: Everything you CHANGED in the environment is LOCAL TO THE MACHINE ON WHICH THOSE CHANGES OCCURRED.)

All-in-all, this seems like a perfectly logical solution to me, to provide a family-wide play environment: My son and I can install it on each of our machines, create a common account, and then either one of us can play - independently - at any time, unless the other is already logged on.

Same scenario works in the case where you don't have multiple computers, too.... (Only it's a bit more obvious when you cannot play!  ;) )

I haven't played it yet, but my son has completely mastered it, and gotten some of his contraptions onto the Spore pages already!

Expect to hear from him (here) about the gameplay soon....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

BFM_Warlord

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
Never heard of it I will have to check it out.

Offline MoNsTeR

• Newbie Poster
  • How do I internet?
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
UPDATE: (to Mxy's post)

You can indeed play on 2 different computers logged in to the EA spore server at the same time, meaning that the three installs are actually 3 copies of the game. I tested it this morning logging into different accounts, then logging in to the SAME account in 2 different instances of the game. each one with a, what seems to be, unlimited amount of simultaneous games/creatures.

As for Hydras post, the stages that seem short are Cell stage, Tribal stage, and Civilization stage. They all seem short but you receive an Achievement for completing some stages in under an hour. These stages are also the least fun :P.
As for space stage, it is the longest stage their is, meaning, it doesn't end. Spore is a game like Oblivion (in a purely questing/gameplay sense) where you can do the Main quest, and/or go on and do an endless amount of side quests. And since spore is held in an entire UNIVERSE, from what i see when i zoom out from my home planet, there seems to be too many stars to count. each one containing a story, or you can start a story by terraforming it, then placing creatures there. (throw in a Monolith if you wanna speed things up).

So I would say the 50$ for the 3 installs is worth it, especially with all the complaining to EA, perhaps they will remove the 3 install limit in an update with all the piracy of the game. *crosses fingers*

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
  • its when you're not looking that the shot hits
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
my friend brought it over and installed it on my pc since the game was so amazing. i cant get online with it but that dosnt matter. the game is AMAZING!

once you get to the space stage, the game is basically never ending. there are literally BILLIONS ON PLANETS to go to. ive been in space mode for about 40 hours now and ive only explored 1/1000000 of one of the 5 arms of the galaxy. it never ends.

i did find earth though lol its called Rylar, same continents and mountain ranges and everything. im wondering if i should blow it up or just colonize it lol. I'll post some screenies of it soon, with lots of ones showing the amazing scale of this game.

one more thing, the creatures that you make are infinitive. you can change the size, angle, texture, just about everything of each of the 350+ parts.

team sig by Slayton, thanks a ton!

My virtues: be silent but strong, never attack in anger, uphold all just laws, and stay 100% loyal to your choices and friends

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 03:21:07 AM »
Watched a friend play Spore earlier today. He was beaming up some poor primitives until he filled his ship. He then destroyed the city on the planet, flew to a small lava bubbling planet close to a sun and released his prisoners. Yes, he is a tyrant and he is far too proud of it.

As for the game itself, it looks very exciting. Other then the never ending stage in space exploration and such, can you continue to improve technologies and such endlessly also? Or does it just become expanding your empire?

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline BigShot

• Regular Poster
  • its when you're not looking that the shot hits
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:48 PM »
i primised pictures and here they are!

i just beat spore (didnt save becaused i used a health cheat) well... the thing in the center of the galaxy? yea... thats Steve. seriously. he gives you the staff of life (42 of them, tell me if you pick up on the pun). they make any planet you go to T3. he also tried to sell you earth. the dialogue is pretty funny as well when to get to him LOL.

the start screen

home system and nearby planets

"you are here"

black hole (fast-travel device)

inside the black hole

some random planet

at the completion of the cell stage (i kinda ate everything, thats why nothings there  ;D)

creature stage of one of my newer creatures.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 05:22:29 PM by BFM_BigShot »

team sig by Slayton, thanks a ton!

My virtues: be silent but strong, never attack in anger, uphold all just laws, and stay 100% loyal to your choices and friends

Offline MoNsTeR

• Newbie Poster
  • How do I internet?
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »
Steve isn't the end, Found him and his Lama filled walls a while ago, he tries to sell you a timeshare to Earth. But like i said, there are still an endless amount of side quests and missions. Ive used all 42 charges on the staff already  :'( , But doing it from scratch doesn't take too long. I've begun blowing up basically anyone who doesn't ally with me the first time I talk to them, lol. Half of which I made, unfortunately you can't make planets, you can only destroy them into fiery balls of rubble which create rings around stars. So my time now is being filled with Grox attacks and endless ecodisasters. I'm working my way towards the center of the galaxy again to go wipe out the Grox, armed with 100+ planet destroying weapons and 500 something health and energy recharges. It's gonna take a while...

As for Exodus' post, the technology right now seems to have a limit, but if you go into the tech screen to see what you have, there are a few "?", which I assume you need to find by exploring planets. I haven't found a single one of the 4 weapons, Colonization, or Socialization technological mysteries ("?"). And I can only assume an update will make more.

I made a little video of some space play: http://rapidshare.com/files/145901493/Spore.wmv.html

If anyone wishes to add me as a buddy in spore; E-mail: Dudeimmike@gmail.com
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 12:27:40 AM by MoNsTeR »

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 02:11:09 AM »
Hate to blow up an ENTIRE PLANET! :siderofl:

That looks like fun. I notice your city is all black like some evil lair tribe. :P

I am going to have to get myself that game.

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Print