Print 

Author Topic: Halo Licensing - What does it all mean? (Post Questions/Concerns too) (CD KEYS!)  (Read 3452 times)

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
The Halo CD/disk - in whatever form you can get it/have it - DOES NOT MATTER, except that it contain a readable copy of Halo for installation when and as needed.

You are in fact entitled to make any/all copies of it that you like SO LONG AS THEY ARE FOR YOU OWN PERSONAL USE.

For ON-LINE play (and possibly only a problem if you're in the same server, but I've had evidence to the contrary on that a looong time ago) each and every RUNNING COPY OF HALO MUST HAVE A UNIQUE ("CD") key.

SO KEEP YOUR Halo ("CD") key PRIVATE, because if anyone else gets it, they basically "own" YOUR COPY OF HALO.

Lastly, your Halo "CD" key CANNOT POSSIBLY BE DETERMINED from your on-line version of that key (also known as your "(Halo/CD) hash" but it is a unique identifier that goes hand-in-hand with THAT ("CD") KEY.  (I.e. Through "computer magic" every "hash" matches one, and ONLY ONE Halo "CD" key....)

So when you're tracked on-line or "banned" from a server, that server remembers your uniquely-identifying "hash," not your Halo ("CD") key.

Direct from the Halo End-User License Agreement - which you agreed to when you installed the software, BTW:

1.   GRANT OF LICENSE.  This EULA grants you the following rights:
·   Applications Software.  You may only install, access, and run (“RUN”) one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, or any prior version of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT for the same operating system, on a single personal computer, (“COMPUTER”) for your personal, noncommercial use.  If not prevented by copy protection technology, the primary user of the COMPUTER on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed may make a second copy for his or her exclusive and personal noncommercial use on a portable computer.

[Emphasis mine.]

Written by MrMxyzptlk. BFM_Hydra takes no responsibility for any incorrect information that you may have read in this extract. If you have any questions or concerns please direct them to MrMxyzptlk or post in this thread for evaluation and answers.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:22:54 AM by BFM_Hydra »

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Halo Licensing - What does it all mean? (Post Questions/Concerns too)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:06:47 AM »
I think this thread would attract more attention if it mentioned "CD key" in the title. Feel free to delete this post, Hydra, if you disagree or decide against it. :)

NHF ;)

Print