Print 

Author Topic: *Laptops*  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Bob Marley

• Senior Poster
*Laptops*
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »
I was thinking about purchasing a laptop within a couple months.  I have had my crappy HP Pavilion desktop for years and years and its dieing.

The main things I will be doing on it is storing music, movies, pictures, playing halo, etc.

So I want a bigger harddrive and good graphics card.

So what are some suggestions because I don't know anything about them.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: *Laptops*
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:57:39 AM »

I don't know much about laptops really.  But I do own a Dell Inspiron something.  It has a good graphics card.  It came with a bluetooth (wireless) mouse which is useless for gaming - I think you'll want a USB mouse with cord for that.  Unless you think you can play using that horrible track-pad thing with your thumbs.

Laptops, being compact, have more expensive parts and tend to overheat.  Probably not the best choice unless you really want the portability.  320GB hard drives are pretty cheap now, I have two of those on my desktop machine.  It has vista, so I have all the music on the desktop, and my (also vista) laptop detects the media library and I can play music on the laptop.

As you may know, every new game release uses some new technology: "requires Direct-X 12.0 with pixel-shader 3.4 support" or some nonsense like that, so make sure you get a good gaming card.  On the Dell, that added a lot of $$ to the price. 

Or get a mac!

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »
I would suggest a Dell XPS Laptop for you. It can do everything you will need. (Gaming, pictures, work, school, graphic design etc. etc.)

Now remember...you are buying from a company so it wont be a cheap laptop. One of the best routes is to build your own but I only recommend that option if you have the experience.

-Tang

ps: wouldn't this be in tech support?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »

...As for all that disk space that you want/need....

The large storage notebook-sized HDDs are pretty $$$, and then you have a big problem [Sorry about that pun! - NOT!  :P ] backing that all up thereafter.

I'd suggest that you get a standard, or one step above standard-sozed HDD INSIDE the laptop, and buy an HUGE external (USB 2.0, tho...  :-\ ) hard drive to store your work on.  (That way you can back it up or extract only what you need to onto any other machine via USB tho!)

Just a thought....

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron if the price is under $3000....

:o

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
Not sure what your budget is, but...

Sony Vaio

Not bad. There's always the new Macbook! Great graphics too. Same Price as the Sony above.

Smaller screen, but you can always get a monitor for it later. >>Amazingness<<*.

*No degrading comments about Apple products please
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »
Yeah, as Mxy said, (kind of ::)) I've never heard the words "laptop" and "good graphics card" in the same sentence..

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:20:22 AM »
Depends on your price range here, literally.

I have a laptop with twin 8800 GTXs and love it, but I also spent quite a bit and it's custom built.

The Dell XPS isnt bad admittedly and Acer even has a few good PCs.

Most laptops come with low, to mid range cards, very few come with high end cards and those are going to cost you.

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline wixxie

• Newbie Poster
  • Ben, thank you for the 'super-awesome' animation!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:03:41 PM »
 2c
they added this new one in the stores recently,,  it was pretty impressive to see how smooth it ran with hi- res games going,   check one out in the stores, has cool new features like the whole iPhone touch technology is in the mouse touch pad, (pinching, sliding, and all the iPhone gestures)
here is what it says about the graphics card:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

The new MacBook Pro combines the efficiency of an integrated graphics processor with the desktop-class performance of a discrete graphics processor. That’s because it has both. Out of the box, it runs the integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9400M processor, which provides plenty of performance for everyday use with up to 5 hours of battery life.* But when you need turbocharged performance for the most graphically intensive tasks, the discrete NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT processor delivers. And thanks to a new graphics architecture, it’s easy to switch between these two processors.

Offline Soz 0wned U

• Senior Poster
  • ^ Back When It neared 1000.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 04:59:16 AM »
Hello all, yes i know quite a bit about laptops since my family owns like 6 of them. :S
What you need is a laptop. With a good graphics card, Wireless 2ten Mic, Webcam ( optional) , 100+gig hardrive. , Back up 235 ( gig harddrive).

Well the latop that stands out for me is probbaly my sister's. It has 425 Gig of space.
( And already used like 100 gig. What does she do with it.) <-she got it like 2 months ago.
2ten Mic, Webcam.

Hs 1000 hp Notebook? Heard of it? Well it may be differnt in amercia . or where ever you live but it's relativly cheap . $800-900 Bucks.

P.s. And your wondering ... Why does that guy have so many laptops?
My dad's work just randomly gives him a new one when ever he wants one. <-lol
There really good. But my sister's we had made for her.  Dad's laptop is like 3000 bucks because it has like 10000 gig of space. <-  Oil engineer's Contracter.

Sorry for getting into detail, but my fingers need to type! lol

~Soz

-22/4/09-

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »
Just get a better desktop for games.

For everything else though, if you want to use a laptop for that (sitting in front of the TV watching YouTube, for instance)...

I got one of these babies. The pictures they have aren't exactly what mine looks like, but same sort of thing.

(Incidentally, if you don't like the OEM Vista, you can get rid of it and it'll still work after downloading drivers)
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Fralalala

• Regular Poster
  • This One Time I Was BFM_British...
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
MacBook Pro of course!
And make sure you don't get a glossy screen! It might look nice to begin with but once all those scratches get on it and the smallest bit of light reflects of it, it will annoy you so much!

Print