Print 

Author Topic: internet explorer being stupid  (Read 2414 times)

Offline metalgear

• Newbie Poster
internet explorer being stupid
« on: August 26, 2007, 04:59:30 AM »
Hey, can anyone help me with these problems I'm having? Almost all the time when I run Internet explorer one of thos boxes will pop up and say somtin like "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" or "an unhandled exception blah blah blah and needs to clos" does any1 kno how i can fix this? Ive considered reinstalling IE but I have no idea how to do it. In fact I can gauruntee once i post this and look at 1 or 2 more threads it will do it again. Thanks alot!

Offline xen0n -

• Regular Poster
  • a winner is a loser who never gives up.
Re: internet explorer being stupid
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
a good solution would be using firefox. i switched to firefox not long ago and i love it, it's so much better than ie.

^^ Blast from the past, anyone remember this one? ^^

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:33:52 AM »
Couple of questions:
Which version of IE are you using?
What are the exact details of this error? (i.e. next time it appears, click on "Show me what this error report contains", and look at "ModName")

If you want to reinstall Internet Explorer, the link is >> HERE << (This is for Internet Explorer 7, the latest version)
If you're not running Windows XP Service Pack 2, you'll need Internet Explorer 6, which is found here:
>> Link Here <<

And I agree with adrenal1ne, FireFox is a better browser than IE; it's seen by many as being far more secure.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 11:53:47 AM by BFM_Chaindog »
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »
ya i would say switch to firefox since its just better all around in my opinion and ie7 copied its tab features off firefox those littel cheaters  :cop:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
Just FTR: Since you can't UNinstall IE, you therefore cannot REinstall it either!

You can, however, run a Repair on Windows which will fix it, but then that might alter other things on your system, too.

Let me know if you want to go down that path and I'll PM you instructions ... but no guarantees!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
I highly recommend Firefox, or Opera, or anything other than IE7.  IE7 has so many bugs that it always crashes when I try to open 4-6 tabs in Micro$oft's own websites.

Most likely you are using IE version 7 (newest).  It is useless, and hopefully you'll go back to IE6 with Mxy (if possible but doubt it even though MS says you can in their KB).
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
FYI: You cannot "go back" to IE 7 6. (I never went "up" to IE7, you see! Why? Well when MS posted instruction for Corp IT folks on "How to disable automatic delivery of IE7" in their knowledgebase, I took the hint!)

The bigger problem for him is this:

It's NOT POSSIBLE to completely AVOID use of IE!  :siren:

There are some things that one can do manually to CUT DOWN on its pre-set, automatic use by Windows, but a lot of stuff still uses the IE "engine" (which may or may not be the source of the problem....)

Ditto another odd-ball piece of code in Windows: The sripting service!

This thing is SO INGRAINED into SO MUCH stuff in Widows [sic] that if it gets screwed up you're looking at a nuke & pave!  :doh: (You can't even start up half of the basic services without it!)

Same now goes for the IE "engine" (explorer.exe in your Task List, for you geeks out there....), too....  :(

*edit* Oops!  Wrong version when I said "cannot go back to IE 6!"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:08:16 AM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
Well, IE stuff certainly is rather ingrained in other things... When I had a problem with some DLL file, stopping me from running IE (encountered a problem), the same error popped up in Windows Live Messenger.
Aaand the first time this happened I kinda... tried to repair/reinstall IE, and I kinda... could only... find... IE7. (or maybe it was the IE6 one not working, I can't be sure). Oops. All worked after that though.
And I later found that a simple reinstall of Messenger solved the issue too, when the same thing happened again.

Quote from: MrMxyzptlk
You cannot "go back" to IE 7.
I think you can - as detailed thus: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
According to that, IE6 is restored when IE7 is uninstalled.

I never got IE7 in an automatic update - the big one I narrowly avoided was a "Windows Media update" - which I almost realised too late would be an upgrade from 10 to 11 (11 is NOT nice, very difficult to find anything... And I like my orange player)

Which is why I ask for a prompt before the computer even downloads any so-called "Automatic" updates.
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Print