Print 

Author Topic: Clarification of Rules  (Read 3566 times)

Offline JRock

• Posts Too Much
Clarification of Rules
« on: August 26, 2007, 08:32:17 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Last night I was involved in a slight disagreement on the definition of camping while I was racing with a another racer (non-bfm/BFM).  The question that arose was whether or not a hog with a gunner killing a gunnerless hog was considered camping.  I pm'd the other driver with the following explanation and not being an expert on the rules, I want to make sure that I haven't spoken out of turn.  I have changed the driver's name so that he/she can maintain their anonymity.

"Driver X,

I just wanted to make sure that we were on the same page after last night on Gephy regarding the rules and camping.  I double checked them today to make sure that I didn't misspeak last night, which I have been known to do.  After looking at them again, here's what I found regarding the shooting of a lone hog by an opposing team's hog with both driver and gunner.

8.4. You may choose a route that maximizes your chance of killing the opponent, as long as the route can reasonably be considered as progressing to your next flag. For example, if a lone hog on the bottom level of Gephyrophobia uses the tunnel to red base to proceed to the top level, a hog with gunner may also go in that direction, so long as they need the lap flag next. (Associated post)

There's also an associated post that helps describe the situation.  Even though it doesn't seem fair, a gunnerless hog can be taken out by an opposing hog with a gunner and it isn't camping or even chase killing, as long as that hog with a gunner is going to the nav in a direct sort of way.  It's a tough situation to be in and I can't tell you how many times I've been killed that way.  That's why when there are only three racers in a server, I prefer that everyone drives and there is no undue advantage given to either team.  This can be pretty difficult to someone coming in to a BFM server who isn't familiar with the rules or the guiding principle of sportsmanship in racing.  But we can educate them by showing them how we race.  Now, when we get to a minimum of 4 racers in a server, that's a different story.  Driver X, I hope this helps explain my position and I hope to see you on the servers.

JRock"

My purpose in bringing this to the forums is not to prove the other driver or myself right or wrong, I just want to make sure that we're all on the same page.  All constructive comments/opinions are welcome.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:34:53 AM by JRock »

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
Re: Clarification of Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:55:36 AM »
I'm still a little confused about the situation.

It sounds to me that a guy without a gunner was going through the tunnels to avoid getting killed. The hog with the gunner followed him through the tunnels and killed the guy. The guy was then saying that the guy chase killed him.

Am i right?

Well if I am, then the guy who had a gunner is allowed to follow the guy through the tunnels as long as he in going to his next nav. Now if he followed him back into the tunnel again on the opposite side or went onto the the ramp where the teleporters are, then that is chase killing. But other then that, everything there was clean.

~Brick
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline ÐeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »
brick, the guy was accusing JRock of camping, because J wasn't in a lone hog and "driver x" was.  the closest rule to what was described would be chase killing, but if he was racing it wasn't chase killing. and in no way was it camping either
Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ÐeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

BFM_Nrvend

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 09:59:36 AM »
JRock, your question is a great reason to explain the concept of team race.  By all means if you are a gunner on a hog that is correctly racing to it's next nav, you have every right to shoot any opposing player in any situation. It is in the best intrest of any driver to pick up a gunner to defend their hog. It never ceases to amaze me the racers that do not grasp this, they will instead pass up team mates just to try to advance themselves to win. Yet their chances more than double in that endever once they pick up a gunner. If we were to say that you cannot shoot at a hog without a gunner, that would be giving that driver a free pass around the course. That makes no sence at all. Race as a team, win as a team. A good racer will always pick up a gunner to advance their team.

BFM_Warlord

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »
Good advice ^^^^^ Priceless  :woot:

Offline S@ndm@n

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:01:40 PM »
In a similar vein, is it "hog camping" if you are gunner and have a driver, and shoot down another player who is on foot while your driver is attempting to back the hog out of a stuck situation?  I was accused of hog camping in such a situation once on Gephyrophobia. 

It seems to me it's only hog camping if you are acting as gunner in an otherwise unoccupied hog.

Logan-6

"Still Runnin'"   :yar:

BFM_Nrvend

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 04:53:44 AM »
If your hog is legitmently stuck and your driver is trying to get your hog free, you may still defend yourself. If the driver cannot free up the hog you must at some point abandon the vehicle and continue to advance to your next nav.

Offline S@ndm@n

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:44 PM »
That's pretty much what I thought.  We did eventually get free and moving after several seconds. 

Thanks,
L-6 (!

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »
 :noadd:
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Print