Print 

Author Topic: Internet Issues  (Read 1785 times)

Offline #PNP#SLAYER

• Newbie Poster
  • The one thing which owns the Chief every time...
Internet Issues
« on: November 02, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »
Hey, all!

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry that I've been gone so long, and that I'd love to be on right now, but I have packet loss issues, Comcast doesn't care, and I can't connect to Vent.  Ullg.  Ill be lucky if this message gets through.  (It took nearly a minute to load the general board, and I doubt that uploading things will work much better, if at all.)  I hope to be back on Vent and the tracks soon, but I can't tell when.  Happy belated Halloween!

#PNP#SLAYER

Thanks to Apollo for the awesome sig!

Offline Fuzion

• Posts Too Much
Re: Internet Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
Those are bad news PNP. I hope all get fix soon.  :)

Signature by AR~H@ngm@n
(July 07)

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
ew sounds bad. hope this gets worked out soon PNP!

Offline HogZlla

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 06:56:05 AM »
Bummer  :sad:
Whip 'em into shape at Comcast!!!

Offline Vincitore

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:20:28 AM »
Hope it will be fixed soon!!

See ya when you get back  :)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:58:24 AM »

Comcast WON'T care until you can PROVE to them it's THEIR problem.

In the meantime they'll just keep blaming it on "your equipment." (Which is usually: your connected... computer(s), switch(es), router(s) and modem (even if it's THEIR modem!!!  :o )

So here's what you have to do:

FIRST OFF, before you do ANYTHING else, reset all your networking equipment according to this post and see if the problem persists. (Maybe skip ahead a bit and read about the Line Quality Testing stuff and run it before and after the reset?...)

If you're SURE that you're still experiencing line quality issues, then carry on....

Go to the Line Quality tests at DSLreports.com and run them.  Two or THREE times to get an average and confirm that you ARE experiencing packet loss. [I strongly suggest that you first JOIN DSLreports AS A MEMBER for free, as it will then save and track all your test results thereafter....]

Armed with the test info, call the 1-800-COMCAST support line, navigate their menus and ads and get to the "High Speed Internet" Tech Support folks.  Tell them that you have done line testing and it has confirmed that you're experiencing Packet Loss.

When/if they tell you they "Do not support multiple computers connected to their modem via routers and switches, you must directly-connect ONE computer to the modem for your service to be valid" tell them this:

"Well that would directly expose my Microsoft-Windows-based computer to all the attacks and ravages of the full Internet!  I'm afraid that I'll need to speak to your Supervisor then, because I'll need legal papers from Comcast wherein you take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for any- and everything that happens to my computer while it's connected that way."

There will follow a moment of silence.  ::) :LOL:

The the support person will tell you this: "We can send someone out to check your line if you like...."

You now have a choice to make: What they're NOT telling you is there's a $25 fee if they find out the problem is NOT with their equipment, but yours.

So if you've PROVEN to yourself BEYOND THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT it's Comcast's fault, by all means, make them come out, confirm that it's THEIR problem, and they'll fix it.

If not, you either live with it, or do some potentially-dangerous line testing with various combinations of your own networking equipment until you ARE sure where the problem lies....

GL SLAYER!

FYI: I have a old, "disposable" machine that I can safely connect directly to my Comcast modem, and expose to the ravages of The Internet to do this kind of testing.  Once the testing's completed I take it back to my bench, wipe and reload it as it was BEFORE I exposed it to the Internet....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print